Notices

2009 Lancer Ralliart - GST Basemap

Search this Thread

Old Dec 23, 2013, 04:22 PM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Christmas is a pretty busy time! Hope you're having a good one...

Rich
Old Dec 26, 2013, 04:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
just did a stock basemap flash and its a huge difference. great christmas present!
Old Jan 1, 2014, 10:31 AM

Angry

My dealership didn't even ask my permission and flashed the C1311W ecm update to my car. It's not recognized in any of the XML files of course. Shows up as 56940014. I'm attaching a dump from my 2011 Ralliart Sportback if anyone wants to take a gander at what I ended up with. Hopefully someone finds this useful and some good can come out of whatever Mitsu has changed in this update. It's listed as a factory recall on the invoice from the dealership. From what I gathered in the few other places mentioning it all they've done is detuned the car to help protect the SST.

They promised me they didn't mess up my tune. Not sure how they had hoped to accomplish that feat. Throws an SES for Mass Airflow Sensor according to another dealership. Do they remove the airbox to get at the ECU when they flash it at a dealership? The other dealership said my airbox was unseated and that was all they were willing to take care of claiming modifications (aftermarket intake) had voided my warranty. Except my airbox is stock... It has a boost pill, which you can't see from a visual inspection, and a GFB BPV/BOV, but those are the only physical parts I have replaced (yet). My Tactrix doesn't appear to have ever been disconnected from the car.
Attached Files

Last edited by GingerBear; Jan 1, 2014 at 06:19 PM. Reason: Posting while half asleep leads to typos.
Old Jan 1, 2014, 06:51 PM
Evolved Member

They did, in fact, totally mess up your tune... by overwriting it.

They have reflashed the ECU back to the latest stock tune (ROM ID 56940014). This overwrote the GST Base Map.

If you have a boostpill installed, you are at risk. You'll run boost that is far too high with boostpill installed and stock tune. Don't go WOT as it is now.
Old Jan 1, 2014, 10:40 PM
Evolving Member

I took my car to service on 27/12/13 and there was no mention on an update. Is this world wide?
Old Jan 2, 2014, 12:12 AM
Evolved Member

If you put the stock pill back in and reflash factory tune before service, there's no issue if they do something like update the ECU.

If you take it in for a service with a boostpill or aftermarket tune in place, tell them never to update the ECU with a reflash. It's that simple.

Rich
Old Jan 2, 2014, 04:27 AM

Originally Posted by richardjh
They did, in fact, totally mess up your tune... by overwriting it.

They have reflashed the ECU back to the latest stock tune (ROM ID 56940014). This overwrote the GST Base Map.

If you have a boostpill installed, you are at risk. You'll run boost that is far too high with boostpill installed and stock tune. Don't go WOT as it is now.
Yeah, I knew it would, and I was a little angry when they said "no, it won't" when I could see it on their faces they had no idea what they were talking about. The guy who said this to me was the same one who I argued with, in front of everyone, that the rear differential and transfer case are two separate parts that both need fluid changes as part of the 30k maintenance.

I'm going back there after work to give them a couple options on resolving the issue. Regardless of how they want to fix this I won't take anything less than them going over that car with a fine tooth comb and giving a thumbs up that everything is mechanically sound and putting that on paper. I might even ask them to change all the fluids in the car just to be overly cautious.

I put less than 50 miles on it between them reflashing it and me putting everything back to stock. The only thing aftermarket on this car right now is the radio. I'm just thankful I decided to wait until summer for the TBE and intercooler.

I have a copy of the Mitsubishi service bulletin. It states, in bold letters, to get the customer's permission before doing this and inform them of exactly what you're doing and what will happen. Mitsubishi is clearly aware that many RA owners have modded their cars.

I have nothing against any of these people. They're all nice people, especially this one lady in the service department. I just live in an area where there are very few Evos and Ralliarts and nobody knows how to work on them. This is a failure on Mitsu's part to train their people properly on all their cars. The worst dealership of all the ones I spoke to was the one that was a Diamond Center of Excellence or whatever they call it.

I've attached the recall notice for tencents and anyone else who wants to see what it's for. It says U.S., but this will probably end up being a worldwide thing for all SST owners.

Originally Posted by richardjh
If you put the stock pill back in and reflash factory tune before service, there's no issue if they do something like update the ECU.

If you take it in for a service with a boostpill or aftermarket tune in place, tell them never to update the ECU with a reflash. It's that simple.

Rich
This gave me an idea. Why not get aluminum business cards mounted in the engine bay stating the vehicle is modified and the ECU should not be flashed? That shouldn't look ugly, but would be eye catching and ensure anyone who pops the hood sees it.
Attached Thumbnails 2009 Lancer Ralliart - GST Basemap-c1311w.jpg  

Last edited by GingerBear; Jan 2, 2014 at 04:37 AM.
Old Jan 2, 2014, 04:40 AM

Anybody with 2013-2014 RA get Wideband so we can get the Boostpill and other variants of the basemap up?
Old Jan 2, 2014, 06:04 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by GingerBear
My dealership didn't even ask my permission and flashed the C1311W ecm update to my car. It's not recognized in any of the XML files of course. Shows up as 56940014. I'm attaching a dump from my 2011 Ralliart Sportback if anyone wants to take a gander at what I ended up with. Hopefully someone finds this useful and some good can come out of whatever Mitsu has changed in this update. It's listed as a factory recall on the invoice from the dealership. From what I gathered in the few other places mentioning it all they've done is detuned the car to help protect the SST.

They promised me they didn't mess up my tune. Not sure how they had hoped to accomplish that feat. Throws an SES for Mass Airflow Sensor according to another dealership. Do they remove the airbox to get at the ECU when they flash it at a dealership? The other dealership said my airbox was unseated and that was all they were willing to take care of claiming modifications (aftermarket intake) had voided my warranty. Except my airbox is stock... It has a boost pill, which you can't see from a visual inspection, and a GFB BPV/BOV, but those are the only physical parts I have replaced (yet). My Tactrix doesn't appear to have ever been disconnected from the car.
Originally Posted by GingerBear
Yeah, I knew it would, and I was a little angry when they said "no, it won't" when I could see it on their faces they had no idea what they were talking about. The guy who said this to me was the same one who I argued with, in front of everyone, that the rear differential and transfer case are two separate parts that both need fluid changes as part of the 30k maintenance.

I'm going back there after work to give them a couple options on resolving the issue. Regardless of how they want to fix this I won't take anything less than them going over that car with a fine tooth comb and giving a thumbs up that everything is mechanically sound and putting that on paper. I might even ask them to change all the fluids in the car just to be overly cautious.

I put less than 50 miles on it between them reflashing it and me putting everything back to stock. The only thing aftermarket on this car right now is the radio. I'm just thankful I decided to wait until summer for the TBE and intercooler.

I have a copy of the Mitsubishi service bulletin. It states, in bold letters, to get the customer's permission before doing this and inform them of exactly what you're doing and what will happen. Mitsubishi is clearly aware that many RA owners have modded their cars.

I have nothing against any of these people. They're all nice people, especially this one lady in the service department. I just live in an area where there are very few Evos and Ralliarts and nobody knows how to work on them. This is a failure on Mitsu's part to train their people properly on all their cars. The worst dealership of all the ones I spoke to was the one that was a Diamond Center of Excellence or whatever they call it.

I've attached the recall notice for tencents and anyone else who wants to see what it's for. It says U.S., but this will probably end up being a worldwide thing for all SST owners.

This gave me an idea. Why not get aluminum business cards mounted in the engine bay stating the vehicle is modified and the ECU should not be flashed? That shouldn't look ugly, but would be eye catching and ensure anyone who pops the hood sees it.
The factory reflash, covered in the recall bulletin, is actually designed to do only 2 things, neither of which is to detune the car for the SST's sake.

First is to prevent the car from throwing erroneous P0016/P0017 cam/crank correlation CELs, which can happen for various reasons due to monitoring hypersensitivity.

Second is actually to FIX P1235 MAF interpretation codes due to cold-weather overboosting. It adjusts air/fuel ratios based on assumed intake values changing due to the colder air having a stronger effect on the hot-wire MAF sensor than originally expected.

If the car was flashed by the dealer, it completely overwrote your tune, as Rich has stated, and this directly relates to your P1235 MAF code that is showing up because you still have your boost pill in and the car IS overboosting.

Reflash the GST map onto your car or reinstall the stock pill and all will be well. The sooner you do, the less likely you will experience any long-term issues. There is almost certainly nothing mechanically wrong with your car that would have been a direct result of the flash unless you pulled away from the dealership and drove like maniac, full-throttling it all the way home.

Since the dealership likely did not know you had the pill installed (or if the tech was simply ignorant to its existence/purpose) they were just guessing that the airbox would cause the MAF code because that is the only thing they could figure to cause the code. It was a pure "shot-in-the-dark" guess on their part.
Old Jan 2, 2014, 10:27 PM

Originally Posted by Pelka
Anybody with 2013-2014 RA get Wideband so we can get the Boostpill and other variants of the basemap up?
I have it but i have other mods on so there's no point. It will throw off the A/F ratio. Why don't you get one?
Old Jan 3, 2014, 05:16 AM

My innovate is on back order and I'm getting anxious. lol
Old Jan 3, 2014, 07:13 AM

Originally Posted by 03chi-town0Z
If the car was flashed by the dealer, it completely overwrote your tune, as Rich has stated, and this directly relates to your P1235 MAF code that is showing up because you still have your boost pill in and the car IS overboosting.
I'm getting the SES and having issues after having returned to stock. That's why I wanted to get them to look over the car and make sure nothing else is wrong. Unfortunately I got sick and haven't had a chance to get it in.
Old Jan 5, 2014, 03:02 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Rich,

I'm on the newest GST basemap at the moment for 91 octane. Only had access to 91 at the time in So Cal. I have no moved out to VA and am still on the 91 map but have access to 93. Is there any power to be made switching maps or should I just stick with my 91 map?

Cheers,
-Will
Old Jan 5, 2014, 04:43 PM
Evolved Member

Yes, there is power to be had if you use the 93oct map, and have good 93+ fuel...

Rich
Old Jan 6, 2014, 10:20 AM
Evolving Member

Anyone know if I could have damaged anything by resetting the ECU/error codes while the car was running? I had a brain freeze and didn't realize the engine was running while I was doing other things prior to resetting the ECU/codes and as it was resetting the engine turned off immediately. Reset the codes properly afterwards and started the car again w/ no error codes.

Quick Reply: 2009 Lancer Ralliart - GST Basemap