Notices

2009 Lancer Ralliart - GST Basemap

Search this Thread

Old Sep 5, 2009, 10:50 PM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by RotorGlow
I wanna address a couple things

1. You cant trust the fuel consumption computer. They are never %100 correct. The correct to test MPG is to fill up the tank to the top and reset the trip odometer. Then you drive till you use the tank up. Then go fill up to the top again, and when you fill up to the top the second time, you record exactly how many gallons of gas you used. Then you take the mileage on the trip odometer and divide. Thats how you get your TRUE MPG. So you would have to do that with the TTP tune and the GST tune to have some what of a fair test, even though a fair test would be impossible, because of driving habits, and terrain (ie you may go up a lot of hills with one tune and not the other).

2. Also, this is a BASEMAP. it has been said multiple times, but you till didnt seem to understand. A BASEMAP is a start off map. There is always a lot of room to make more power. The BASEMAP CANT be tuned more aggressive because it has to have a margin of safety since its gonna be use on a bunch of different cars.

3. Also this map was made for California 91oct, which has 10% ethanol or less.

-When this map is used with higher octane gas, this map wont releaase the full potenial of that fuel.

-When this map is used with 91oct with more then %10 ethanol, it will not perform as it was meant to be, as it was designed on 91oct fuel with less ethanol.

FYI, GST and TTP are both excellent shops

Last edited by Evo_Jay; Sep 5, 2009 at 10:53 PM.
Old Sep 6, 2009, 05:55 AM
EvoM Administrator

Received 135 Likes on 81 Posts
Ok...

I'm going to be testing this tune next week. I'll have alot more to say then. I'll be getting a few HP/TQ ratings for the following...
- Stock Flash
- GST Flash
- TTP Flash

I'll post my results early next week! I will also be testing all 3 of these on 91 octane (as opposed to my 94) for an ultimate comparison.
Please start your own thread and stay out of this one, as you are driving it off topic- hence the removal of your posts.

It'd help if you get some actual data instead of conjecture before you post up next time, so at least you can compare data.

Last edited by Noize; Sep 6, 2009 at 01:47 PM.
Old Sep 6, 2009, 11:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Noize
Comparing a base map to a tuned map is pointless.
Start your own thread and stay out of this one, as you are driving it off topic- hence the removal of your posts.

It'd help if you get some actual data instead of conjecture before you post up next time.
Let's see if I get deleted for disagreeing with a Mod...but I disagree. While I think the ridiculous octane argument that took place in this thread was beyond being off topic, I don't think that it is silly to compare a base map, which is what GST is so graciously providing, to a tuned map (TTP, AMS, etc...). Is it silly to compare an Evo to a Ralliart? No! It's not that we don't know which is "better," or which puts down bigger numbers, but being able to compare gives us the freedom to make informed decisions. Decisions like: "Should I spend $400-500 on a tuned map, or should I go with the free one that GST is providing?"
Old Sep 6, 2009, 11:59 AM
Account Disabled

Just FYI, I put this very same basemap (downloaded it from this page and all) on a stock 09 RA yesterday and did before/after pulls (3 each) and used the middle average for both stock and our BaseMap and overlayed it. You can see this comparison in the first post of this thread.

Also added a second downloadable BaseMap for use with our boost pill (or any other that use the same specs). Dyno charts for that are in the first post as well!

Still free as well.

- Bryan
Old Sep 6, 2009, 01:49 PM
EvoM Administrator

Received 135 Likes on 81 Posts
Originally Posted by buschur_whacked
Let's see if I get deleted for disagreeing with a Mod...but I disagree. While I think the ridiculous octane argument that took place in this thread was beyond being off topic, I don't think that it is silly to compare a base map, which is what GST is so graciously providing, to a tuned map (TTP, AMS, etc...). Is it silly to compare an Evo to a Ralliart? No! It's not that we don't know which is "better," or which puts down bigger numbers, but being able to compare gives us the freedom to make informed decisions. Decisions like: "Should I spend $400-500 on a tuned map, or should I go with the free one that GST is providing?"
I clarified my post for you. What I was calling pointless was the threadjacking.

Uhhh...people compare their base flash's to their tuned flash's on here all the time. I dont quite understand what you mean when you say its "pointless". If you mean comparing the GST to the TTP flash is pointless, then I dont understand that either. Both of them are tuned, and both of them are base maps for a stock car. My car is stock, unless you count the fact that I removed the dealership decals.

People dont get this mad when you compare AMS to TTP...
The pointless part is using one vendor's thread to advertise for another vendor. You want to compare the tunes? That is OK.

Start your own thread.

Last edited by Noize; Sep 6, 2009 at 01:54 PM.
Old Sep 7, 2009, 01:35 AM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by elpoole
took a 50 mile cruise with stock map. Flashed the GST map and took a return cruise. Def makes a noticeable difference. Pulls much harder, MIVEC is doing its job and the power is smooth.

WGDC is pegged closed only under hard accel where in stock form its practically closed all the time with lower boost being applied. Is this observation correct?
Glad you are having fun.

yes on the WGDC, are you finding that off WOT is less direct now or?
Old Sep 7, 2009, 05:52 AM
Evolved Member

What is WGDC? Sorry I'm still a noob to turbos
Old Sep 7, 2009, 09:01 AM
Evolving Member

Would an upgraded intercooler change the A/F enough to not use this tune? BTW I'm on 93 octane as well.
Old Sep 7, 2009, 11:07 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by boondoc
What is WGDC? Sorry I'm still a noob to turbos
Wastegate duty cycle
Old Sep 7, 2009, 12:03 PM
Evolved Member

No, power is still there in the mid range with smooth spool up.

Call me crazy but I did fiddle with WGDC to get an even quicker spool up. Car can really launch itself now compared to stcok.
Old Sep 7, 2009, 12:05 PM

No, power is still there in the mid range with smooth spool up.

Call me crazy but I did fiddle with WGDC to get an even quicker spool up. Car can really launch itself now compared to stcok.
What changes did you make to the WGDC for the quicker spool? I don't know much about manually tuning maps, but would love to get rid of some lag!
Old Sep 7, 2009, 12:11 PM
Evolved Member

Im no expert at tuning - I just wanna say that but...

I increased duty cycle at lower RPM to get the turbo spooling sooner. I would be carefull not to do to much without proper logging as the AFR at those RPMs is on the lean side and increased boost at lower RPMs could lean it out further.

Please anyone and everyone correct me if Im wrong on any of this.

By the way, we should really get a how to on logging in here. Ive got EvoScan, PCMScan and ECUFlash. I just dont think Im using all the tools at my disposal most effectively.

Last edited by elpoole; Sep 7, 2009 at 12:13 PM.
Old Sep 7, 2009, 12:15 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Evo_Kid
Wastegate duty cycle
OK thanx. i knew it had somethin to do with the wastegate but i didnt know wat the DC was. So by opening up the wastegate earlier in the powerband u are able to free up some flow?
Old Sep 7, 2009, 12:18 PM
Evolved Member

no, keeping the WG closed earlier gets the turbo to start spooling sooner.

The Waste Gate, when open, directs exhaust away from the turbo. Keeping the Waste Gate closed forces exhaust to the turbo causing it to spin / spool / create boost.

Like I said, Im not an expert so be carefule when making any changes. Ask everything up front before trying. Better for everyone here to discuss.
Old Sep 7, 2009, 12:23 PM
Evolved Member

Im no expert at tuning - I just wanna say that but...

I increased duty cycle at lower RPM to get the turbo spooling sooner. I would be carefull not to do to much without proper logging as the AFR at those RPMs is on the lean side and increased boost at lower RPMs could lean it out further.

Please anyone and everyone correct me if Im wrong on any of this.

By the way, we should really get a how to on logging in here. Ive got EvoScan, PCMScan and ECUFlash. I just dont think Im using all the tools at my disposal most effectively.
You shouldn't mess with the WGDC table, as they are tuned in unison with the target engine load tables and it will mess up your boost error correction, which will mess up your boost curve.

Quick Reply: 2009 Lancer Ralliart - GST Basemap