Notices

Stock Dyno Run by RRE

Search this Thread

Old Sep 3, 2009, 10:10 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by secondchace
its because he has a manual, if he knew how to drive, he would have mashed you.

l2read
He actually drives very well. The WRX is his new dd, one of his other cars is a 450whp+ 92 Integra and he gets great times when he takes it to the coast
Old Sep 3, 2009, 10:59 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by brads09lancerGT
OP Thanks for posting the dyno. Don't let Amby or Amby Jr get to you.

I could see that. I went to a legal race night at an old 1/4 mile track(wasn't street racing mods) and went up against my buddy in his 09 WRX Sedan(both of us were stock). We did 2 races against each other and they were so close we couldn't tell who won. He kept saying "I thought my car had 30 more hp then yours"
Thanks. I'll tell you, though... I have information overload after stopping by RRE last night. Between Mike and Rob, I have about a dozen things I'd like to do with my car that weren't on my original list.

And I'm not letting those two get to me. I'm making a concerted effort to keep things positive. For me, the way to do that is to click ignore. Some might say I'm opting for ignorance, and there are probably somethings I could learn from those two, but I'm not filtering through all the BS and must-have-last-word-itis in order to find it.

Oh, and to end on a positive note again (and I'm sure all the guys that have been to RRE will attest to this): RRE has an amazing atmosphere... it's great! There was so much transparency, and it was just friendly and down to earth.
Old Sep 3, 2009, 11:51 PM
Evolving Member

Ahh. Good to see that no matter what type of community you're on there's always the same sort of arguments.

HUB dyno's will ALWAYS give a higher reading than WHEEL dyno's. This is because of the variables that can be incurred with the addition of wheels to the mix (tyre pressure, rolling radius, wheel weight etc).

The only true dyno reading is an engine dyno, followed by a hub dyno then a distant 3rd to the wheel dyno.

Also manufacturers "Claimed" engine power output is exactly that, CLAIMED!!!!!!! It is an average power output. Some will be higher and some will be lower. Hence some car companies (HSV in Australia do for one of their models) will actually do an engine dyno run per engine they make and supply the readout with the car so you know exactly what you have.

All that being said, a dyno is really only a tuning tool to show what benefit you get from the different mods/tunes you do to your car.

Good work getting those numbers, now you have a good base to work from (and the only way is up )

Cheers,

John
Old Sep 4, 2009, 06:05 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Ladogaboy
Thanks. I'll tell you, though... I have information overload after stopping by RRE last night. Between Mike and Rob, I have about a dozen things I'd like to do with my car that weren't on my original list.

And I'm not letting those two get to me. I'm making a concerted effort to keep things positive. For me, the way to do that is to click ignore. Some might say I'm opting for ignorance, and there are probably somethings I could learn from those two, but I'm not filtering through all the BS and must-have-last-word-itis in order to find it.

Oh, and to end on a positive note again (and I'm sure all the guys that have been to RRE will attest to this): RRE has an amazing atmosphere... it's great! There was so much transparency, and it was just friendly and down to earth.
There you go man, don't let them discourage you! These are the things I like to read about. GOOD vendors = happy customers
Old Sep 4, 2009, 07:33 AM
Evolved Member

that's an Ok number for a RA on a Dynojet; Local tuner has a Dynojet and a friend of mine's RA did 217 whp stock on a hot saturday at 95 Degrees F. FL altitude

I even thought Mustangs were optimistic compared to Dynojets

The underrated argument is also viable, cause there's still Manufacturers underrating their cars; there's a lot of info around (even I posted some a while ago) that shows some cars with underrated values to the flywheel (actual crank-advertise power)

Last edited by jazket; Sep 4, 2009 at 07:36 AM.
Old Sep 4, 2009, 07:49 AM
Evolved Member

Received 75 Likes on 68 Posts
Originally Posted by Mike W
Correction factors are adressed in post #13 above. Some bunch of dorks named Society of Automotive Engineers make it up :-) Who knows if it is anygood or consistent for sure.

Mike W
Despite the obvious sarcasm, that's the point. Is SAE the best correction factor or STD? It's not a hard science and it's just a tool.
Old Sep 4, 2009, 07:50 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by brads09lancerGT
OP Thanks for posting the dyno. Don't let Amby or Amby Jr get to you.

I could see that. I went to a legal race night at an old 1/4 mile track(wasn't street racing mods) and went up against my buddy in his 09 WRX Sedan(both of us were stock). We did 2 races against each other and they were so close we couldn't tell who won. He kept saying "I thought my car had 30 more hp then yours"
Originally Posted by secondchace
its because he has a manual, if he knew how to drive, he would have mashed you.

l2read
^
This, the number of variables that play a role in a drag race is ridiculous. According to R&T, the WRX has a 13.5 1/4 mile and a 5.1 0-60 (I believe C&D clocked a 4.9). I doubt your buddy was close to this.
Old Sep 4, 2009, 07:54 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by jazket
that's an Ok number for a RA on a Dynojet; Local tuner has a Dynojet and a friend of mine's RA did 217 whp stock on a hot saturday at 95 Degrees F. FL altitude

I even thought Mustangs were optimistic compared to Dynojets

The underrated argument is also viable, cause there's still Manufacturers underrating their cars; there's a lot of info around (even I posted some a while ago) that shows some cars with underrated values to the flywheel (actual crank-advertise power)
Once again, it's not a valid argument. Mitsubishi would have to be smoking some very bad drugs to think it's a good idea to underrate a car in a highly competitive market (especially when underrating it would put it maybe mid-pack as far as power is concerned). We don't like in the 70s or in Japan, companies don't underrate power any more as they would be effectively shooting themselves in the foot. The way in which the claimed power is determined has changed, now all the accessories have to be on and the wheel has to moved slightly so powersteering is active thus when these things are not a factor, power seems higher.

http://www.stangnet.com/mustang-foru...s-new-old.html
Assuming they want SAE certification, it'd be pretty hard to lie about numbers unless they plan on bribing people.

Last edited by ambystom01; Sep 4, 2009 at 08:03 AM.
Old Sep 4, 2009, 08:11 AM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by jcm308
Ahh. Good to see that no matter what type of community you're on there's always the same sort of arguments.

HUB dyno's will ALWAYS give a higher reading than WHEEL dyno's. This is because of the variables that can be incurred with the addition of wheels to the mix (tyre pressure, rolling radius, wheel weight etc).

The only true dyno reading is an engine dyno, followed by a hub dyno then a distant 3rd to the wheel dyno.

Also manufacturers "Claimed" engine power output is exactly that, CLAIMED!!!!!!! It is an average power output. Some will be higher and some will be lower. Hence some car companies (HSV in Australia do for one of their models) will actually do an engine dyno run per engine they make and supply the readout with the car so you know exactly what you have.

All that being said, a dyno is really only a tuning tool to show what benefit you get from the different mods/tunes you do to your car.

Good work getting those numbers, now you have a good base to work from (and the only way is up )

Cheers,

John

Its funny you say so john, because we have 8-10 ralliarts ALL posting 190-196 whp on the EXACT SAME HUB DYNO here, just with a more accurate and less friendly SAE correction.

It gets even funnier when stock evos put down the expected 240-245 whp on this exact hub dyno... odd huh?

<< amby junior... its official. thanks laga
Old Sep 4, 2009, 08:23 AM
Evolved Member

dun dun dunnnnn..dont know if we can handle two amby's!
Old Sep 4, 2009, 08:35 AM
Evolved Member

There will only ever be one Amby, he's more like my understudy in awesomeness. What do people care anyways, it seems like the popular thing to do is simply ignore people who say something you don't like, regardless of whether it's right or not. Somewhere a scientist is crying.
Old Sep 4, 2009, 08:38 AM
Evolved Member

"With your stupid post combine, I am Captain Amby!"

Cappptain Aaamby, he's our hero....
gonna take noobs post down to zero
he's our Turbo's magnified
and he's fighting on the Suby side

"you'll pay for this captain Amby!"

"we're the Amby Jr's, you can be one too!"
"cuz saving our Forum is the thing to do!"
"trolling and fake dyno'ing is not the way!"
"hear what captain Amby has to say!"

"the knowledge is yours!"

Last edited by GiLizILL; Sep 4, 2009 at 08:46 AM.
Old Sep 4, 2009, 08:45 AM
Evolved Member

My rageometer is fed by the souls of noobs. Every time they post a stupid comment or start a redundant topic, I gain 5 XP points.
Old Sep 4, 2009, 08:47 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ambystom01
My rageometer is fed by the souls of noobs. Every time they post a stupid comment or start a redundant topic, I gain 5 XP points.
like my song for you amby?
Old Sep 4, 2009, 09:05 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by IdriveRA
"With your stupid post combine, I am Captain Amby!"

Cappptain Aaamby, he's our hero....
gonna take noobs post down to zero
he's our Turbo's magnified
and he's fighting on the Suby side

"you'll pay for this captain Amby!"

"we're the Amby Jr's, you can be one too!"