Notices

is LOWER INTERCOOLER PIPING really a necessary upgrade in our cars???

Search this Thread

Old Sep 4, 2009, 08:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
is LOWER INTERCOOLER PIPING really a necessary upgrade in our cars???

i just bought the ultimate racing upper intercooler pipe kit and was wondering how much of a difference the lower intercooler pipe kit would make. anyone have both upper and lower and notice a difference from the lower?
Old Sep 4, 2009, 09:06 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I have both. Dont think there's a difference but got it anyway.
Old Sep 4, 2009, 09:10 PM

thats what i was thinking. upper is obviously important cuz it improves airflow between the turbo and intercooler. but lower just going from intercooler to throttle body doesnt seem like it would be as necessary.
Old Sep 4, 2009, 09:19 PM
Evolved Member

If you are sticking with the stock I/C, it doesn't seem worth it to me to switch out the lower I/C piping. If you are upgrading the I/C, however, I would get a new lower pipe... just for fitment issues if nothing else.
Old Sep 5, 2009, 01:38 PM

I was told the stock lower pipe has a bottle neck issue with it. I honestly haven't even looked at it myself on my car, but I have see a photo of one and there was a groove on it in the outside of the bend as it comes to the IC. Obviously that should affect airflow, replacing it would be worth while as long as it isn't expensive to do.
Old Sep 5, 2009, 02:23 PM
Evolving Member

From what i've seen it looks pretty gnarly. Any smoothing or straightening of that pipng should increase spool. I'm installing an evo x intercooler and pipes when i get free time. I'll post pics for comparison.
Old Sep 5, 2009, 10:30 PM
Evolving Member

If the upper has a bottle neck and the lower doesnt, there will be negative effects.

If the lower has a bottle neck and the upper doesnt, there will be negative effects.

Its all part of the same system...
Old Sep 6, 2009, 10:07 PM
Evolved Member

From seeing that the LICP has plastic and that it has a bottleneck, I'm gonna replace the LICP when I order my IC & piping.

Originally Posted by dD Spikey
I'd recommend using the Evo X's LICP if you are going to upgrade the IC.

The Ralliart's LICP is plastic and is smaller than the Evo X's LICP. The Ralliart piece also has a bottleneck close to the IC.

There's one more issue though, The Ralliart's LICP touches the Evo X IC's outlet. The two ends push up against each other. It makes fitment a little bit difficult. You can see what I mean in this picture. Once you put on a coupler, it might be a bit harder. It can be done, and it will work, but you'll have to wiggle the fitment and probably push the LICP out a bit.

Old Sep 7, 2009, 01:36 AM
Account Disabled

I find it funny that the Ralliart went to a composite IC to TB pipe, as the Evo 6 had this as well..
Old Jan 19, 2010, 09:42 PM
Evolving Member

Ok so I bought a used Evo X intercooler and also got the stock Evo X top and bottom IC hoses and clamps thrown in to the deal. I am buying the UR top IC pipe kit complete but can I use the stock Evo bottom hose and pipe setup or do I need to buy an aftermarket lower IC pipe kit. I am trying to keep the cost down as I yet have to save for an Evo X turbo,exuast manifold etc...
Old Jan 19, 2010, 09:47 PM
Account Disabled

i have the exo x bottom pipe on my evo x intercooler, with a UR uicp currently installed and it runs great.
Old Jan 20, 2010, 07:11 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You can use the bottom EvoX pipes but make sure you read my post first: https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/09...tercooler.html

There is a fitting issue with the BPV outlet on the lower pipe which requires a new straight section of pipe to replace the bendy hose.
Old Jan 20, 2010, 11:41 AM
Evolving Member

See this is what I was talking about, someone on another thread can't remember which one said you could re use the raliart existing bottom IC hose with no issue.
Old Jan 20, 2010, 12:23 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You CAN reuse the stock RA lower IC pipe, it's just a tight fit if you do.
Old Jan 21, 2010, 07:20 PM
Evolving Member

I am ordering the ultimate-Racing Intercooler pipes both top and bottom but I have a 2009 Raliart but I am upgrading to an Evo X Intercooler, so do I now order the Raliart Pipes or the Evo X pipes?
!. I believe since the opening to the smaller raliart turbo is smaller 2" I will need a reducer 2.5 to 2 to go from the pipe 2.5" to the turbo if I use Upper Evo X pipe and I believe there is a concern regarding positioning of the BOV if I go with the Evo X lower pipe.

Quick Reply: is LOWER INTERCOOLER PIPING really a necessary upgrade in our cars???