Notices

My Ralliart Stage 1 Upgrade @RRM/RRE

Search this Thread

Old Oct 18, 2009, 07:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up My Ralliart Stage 1 Upgrade @RRM/RRE

I took a road trip to Cali and decided to get some mods done and tuned while out here on my new Ralliart. I went to ROAD//RACE both Motorsport and Engineering.

My experience at both RRE and RRM has been a great one, many thanks to Rob@RRM, Brian@RRM and Mike@RRE for really making my car much more fun.

My first Mods where at RRM where I picked up;
  • Enkei Wheels with Toyo Proxes T1Rs
  • Cabon fibre mirror covers
  • Carbon fibre fuse cover
  • New front strut bar
  • Carbon fiber shift knob

Rob really took care of me and they where fantastic during my time in the garage.

For my drive train I talked to Mike@RRE and he walked me through what would be the best bang for my buck. I decided on getting a EVO X intercooler, ECU flash and Axel back for now and get it tuned by Mike himself on their Dyno.

Here are my dyno runs Stock vs Bolt on parts

http://www.roadraceengineering.com/r...arts-boost.jpg

Axel back and I/C only gives me a 12hp/tq gain

Then mike does his tuning and here is my boost
http://www.roadraceengineering.com/r...tock-boost.jpg

and now Stock Vs Tuned

http://www.roadraceengineering.com/r...ecorrected.jpg

Mike does an amazing job extracting power consistently. I went a bit conservative since I still need to decide on future upgrades and wanted to see how new mods affect our drive train.

The torque gains at 3500rpm is just awesome.

Again I can't but speak highly of Both Road Race Motorsports and Engineering. If you're in the Socal area certainly give these guys a visit.

I'll post pictures in the next week once I have a chance to wash my car
Old Oct 18, 2009, 07:56 PM

If any one wants my stock parts I'm selling them, private message me for details
Old Oct 18, 2009, 08:24 PM
Evolved Member

Received 75 Likes on 68 Posts
Why does it say it's an Audi A4? That's a really high baseline for a Ralliart.
Old Oct 18, 2009, 08:49 PM

+1
Old Oct 19, 2009, 09:17 AM
Evolved Member

what amby said..
Old Oct 24, 2009, 10:01 PM
Evolving Member

pics of the car itself
Old Oct 25, 2009, 02:02 AM
Evolving Member

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
We had done a couple dyno pulls on Alex's dad's Audi before the final testing on evolusent's RA. Until you save the runs on the next car, it shows the last saved run file name in the graph header. Thus the S4 conspiracy. The Dynapack graph shows the last folder opened in the lower center info box. the final runs are live unsaved at that point, and his stock before runs opened as a comparison. Here is the S4 dyno: http://www.roadraceengineering.com/d...ores-a4-hp.jpg Nothing much to look at.

I saved an uncorrected graph for the high reading critics here knowing it would be coming. RAs here in So Cal baseline between 212 and 223 SAE corrected whp on my Dynapack AWD dyno.

http://www.roadraceengineering.com/r...s-stock-hp.jpg

Here are a couple pics I had saved of the RRE Axleback Exhaust

And the EVO X intercooler coupler to the stock RA piping.

Mike W
Old Oct 25, 2009, 05:59 AM
Evolving Member

Love that exhaust! RRE are you planing on pre-manufacturing the axle back for sale? And if so what kind of price would we be talking about for it? The exhaust and FMIC look like a great fitment. What do you guys have planned down the ROAD for the R/A? And how much was the X FMIC?

Last edited by show time; Oct 25, 2009 at 06:03 AM.
Old Oct 25, 2009, 09:27 AM
Evolved Member

Another stock Ralliart with understated power? Oh, noes! It can't be! Only WRXs have understated power from factory.

Stock Ralliarts seem to rate consistently on RRE's dyno, so whatever correction factors you babies are asking for is unnecessary. Take the numbers for what they are: a baseline. And for goodness sake, focus on what's important: the gains from stock to modified and from stock to modified and tuned.

To OP and Mike:

I'm wondering if the gains with the intercooler would have been more if you guys had gone with hard I/C pipes. It looks like you went with the OEM EVO X I/C piping?

Either way, great job!
Old Oct 25, 2009, 10:37 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Ladogaboy
Another stock Ralliart with understated power? Oh, noes! It can't be! Only WRXs have understated power from factory.

Stock Ralliarts seem to rate consistently on RRE's dyno, so whatever correction factors you babies are asking for is unnecessary. Take the numbers for what they are: a baseline. And for goodness sake, focus on what's important: the gains from stock to modified and from stock to modified and tuned.

To OP and Mike:

I'm wondering if the gains with the intercooler would have been more if you guys had gone with hard I/C pipes. It looks like you went with the OEM EVO X I/C piping?

Either way, great job!
And I said this where? I was simply saying that it's a high reading dyno given the already high baseline. I find it odd that HP gained so much relative to torque (37 vs 22).
Old Oct 25, 2009, 11:04 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ambystom01
And I said this where? I was simply saying that it's a high reading dyno given the already high baseline. I find it odd that HP gained so much relative to torque (37 vs 22).
You read through these forums enough to know that almost every retune for the RA results in increased horsepower, but not so much of an increase in torque. In fact, I've yet to see a tune that results in an equal increase between hp and torque; the hp increase is always more. ESPECIALLY when an exhaust is involved. In fact, some exhaust systems actually result in decreased torque outputs.

As for your comments about baseline readings, this isn't the first time you've taken a dig at RRE. I'll reference the thread where I posted my baseline run on RRE's dyno.

Regardless of the tuner, if they can post a before and after of their dyno runs with mods, there shouldn't be a problem. Especially when a tuner like RRE can show consistent power outputs on their dyno with a number of stock RA runs.

Last edited by Ladogaboy; Oct 25, 2009 at 11:08 AM.
Old Oct 25, 2009, 11:10 AM

wow those are great numbers, good job RRE
Old Oct 25, 2009, 11:13 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Ladogaboy
You read through these forums enough to know that almost every retune for the RA results in increased horsepower, but not so much of an increase in torque. In fact, I've yet to see a tune that results in an equal increase between hp and torque; the hp increase is always more. ESPECIALLY when an exhaust is involved. In fact, some exhaust systems actually result in decreased torque outputs.

As for your comments about baseline readings, this isn't the first time you've taken a dig at RRE. I'll reference the thread where I posted my baseline run on RRE's dyno.

Regardless of the tuner, if they can post a before and after of their dyno runs with mods, there shouldn't be a problem. Especially when a tuner like RRE can show consistent power outputs on their dyno with a number of stock RA runs.
And this is a dig how, by saying that the results are really high? You'll also notice that two other Ralliart owners agreed with what I said so there goes any "Subaru hater" comments.
Given the size of the stock RA turbo, I thought the torque would jump up as well, especially given the boost map (lots of boost very quickly).
Old Oct 25, 2009, 11:40 AM
Evolving Member

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Torque goes up with boost. The stock boost curve on _this_ RalliArt had a spike from 3,000 to 3,500. That made for a torque spike in that RPM range. My boost curve does not have this same spike so you dont get the corresponding difference in the maximum torque number.

Looking at any dyno chart, focusing on peak numbers comparisons is silly. There are several places where the torque gain is over 40 ft lbs in this tune. If I would have made a nice spike to 23 psi, the peak number to peak number comparison would have been more spectacular. I think a 23 psi spike for this car and this customer would not have been appropriate. It didnt get one :-)

Mike W
Old Oct 25, 2009, 12:12 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ambystom01
And this is a dig how, by saying that the results are really high? You'll also notice that two other Ralliart owners agreed with what I said so there goes any "Subaru hater" comments.
Given the size of the stock RA turbo, I thought the torque would jump up as well, especially given the boost map (lots of boost very quickly).
This thread seemed to be one giant dig at RRE's dyno and methodology.

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/09...o-run-rre.html

In that thread, you seemed to imply that the dyno wasn't being used to properly because we only did a baseline reading. You seemed amenable to the idea of having a baseline versus tuned reading, but now you are complaining again. I just don't get it.

Just tell Mike the power output you want a stock RA to have on the RRE dyno... I'm sure he could take a torch, bust into his dyno, and mess around with it until stock RAs are only putting down 190 whp.

Quick Reply: My Ralliart Stage 1 Upgrade @RRM/RRE