Notices

Evo X IC and stock UICP coupler question!

Search this Thread

Old Oct 24, 2009, 07:38 PM
EvoM Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thumbs up Evo X IC and stock UICP coupler question!

All,

If I were to install the Evo X IC using the RA upper IC pipe, What will be the coupler size to get in order to fit the difference in height?

I have the Evo X LICP and will use it after the swap, but would like to use the stock upper pipe until I get an upgraded one.
Old Oct 24, 2009, 10:16 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by joedr
All,

If I were to install the Evo X IC using the RA upper IC pipe, What will be the coupler size to get in order to fit the difference in height?

I have the Evo X LICP and will use it after the swap, but would like to use the stock upper pipe until I get an upgraded one.
I don't know if the EVO X IC inlet is the same size as the ralliart or not, I know that the Buschur Racing intercooler inlet is larger than the Ralliart, but I can't remember if it was the same as the EVO IC or larger. You will definitely have to cut the stock pipe since the EVO intercooler is taller.

If your new lower intercooler pipe includes the rubber section going from the aluminum pipe to the throttle body itself you can take the old rubber section from your stock lower IC pipe going to the throttle body and cut that to make a coupler. Since it is tappered you can get pretty much any diameter you need by cutting in the right spot

Keith
Old Oct 25, 2009, 06:22 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Also the X LICP outlet to your BOV is at a different angle. There is a wright up on this some where. Here check this out.http://streetimportonline.com/sio/mi...ed-engine.html

Last edited by show time; Oct 25, 2009 at 06:53 AM.
Old Oct 25, 2009, 05:02 PM
EvoM Moderator

I believe that the IC inlet on boths IC are the same size in diameter. Since the RA has a large (3-4 inches) coupler to get from the upper pipe to the IC inlet, I thought that cutting to size will be an option. But, decided to ask what length should I get the coupler to be able to accomodate the Evo IC without messing up the OEM parts.

Originally Posted by Fourdoor
I don't know if the EVO X IC inlet is the same size as the ralliart or not, I know that the Buschur Racing intercooler inlet is larger than the Ralliart, but I can't remember if it was the same as the EVO IC or larger. You will definitely have to cut the stock pipe since the EVO intercooler is taller.

If your new lower intercooler pipe includes the rubber section going from the aluminum pipe to the throttle body itself you can take the old rubber section from your stock lower IC pipe going to the throttle body and cut that to make a coupler. Since it is tappered you can get pretty much any diameter you need by cutting in the right spot

Keith
Thanks for the heads up! Saw that link and I already planned for that minor difference there!

Originally Posted by show time
Also the X LICP outlet to your BOV is at a different angle. There is a wright up on this some where. Here check this out.http://streetimportonline.com/sio/mi...ed-engine.html
Old Oct 25, 2009, 07:19 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2.5 " coupler matches them up
Old Oct 25, 2009, 07:24 PM
EvoM Moderator

Just to be clear.

2.5" in diameter * 2.5" in length coupler?

Last edited by joedr; Oct 25, 2009 at 07:27 PM.
Old Oct 26, 2009, 06:48 AM
Evolved Member

2.5" diameter; if you use the lower pipe coupler from an Evo X Front Mount it will mount on the Ralliart's lower pipe, they're the same diameter. The upper pipe is an issue so it would be best if you get a custom pipe, UR or AMS. They'll provide the coupler you can use or simply use the Evo X stock Upper Pipe and Coupler for that same pipe.
Old Oct 26, 2009, 07:14 AM
EvoM Moderator

jazket,

So, you are saying that the inlet on the RA and Evo IC are not aligned on the horizontal axis? Are they off where no coupler will join them?

I am under the impression that the inlet of both ICs are on the position just different height.

Can you or anyone confirm this?
Old Oct 26, 2009, 07:27 AM
Evolved Member

lower pipe and front mount inlet are aligned on the horizontal axis the same way on both the Evo X and 09+ Ralliart. BUT, Ralliart FMIC lower inlet is smaller in diameter than Evo X FMIC inlet. There's a conversion on the Ralliart's Lower pipe and FMIC lower inlet. So use the Evo X FMIC lower inlet coupler, that will match the Ralliart Lower Intercooler Pipe with no trimming or cutting necessary.

If you plan on using the Stock Ralliart Upper Pipe you will need a conversion as well, from 2.5" (Evo X Front Mount Upper Inlet) to Ralliart Stock Pipe (about 2") and the length of the cloupler should be about 2 to 3 inches probably instead of the stock 6+ inches. In that case you should keep the stock Evo X Upper Pipe to Evo X FMIC upper inlet coupler, and use it on a custom upper pipe instead. Better airflow, metal instead of rubber, and better looking than stock.
Old Oct 26, 2009, 10:19 AM
Account Disabled

We have all of these parts available from FMIC to Evo X turbo, manifold and O2 housing if any Ralliart owner is interested, PM us.
Old Oct 26, 2009, 11:15 AM
Evolved Member

Sorry I didn't get back to your PM earlier, joedr.

jazket is correct in that the inlet/outlet DIAMETERS are different between the RA and X intercoolers, with the X intercooler being 0.25" (I think?) larger.

I'm not sure what LENGTH of coupler you would need to connect the RA UICP to the X IC inlet. I can try to get some sort of idea for you later on tonight.
Old Oct 26, 2009, 12:01 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by velocityhead
I'm not sure what LENGTH of coupler you would need to connect the RA UICP to the X IC inlet. I can try to get some sort of idea for you later on tonight.
Just calculate the height difference on the RA and X intercooler and cut that much from the stock RA upper pipe coupler
Old Oct 26, 2009, 01:54 PM
Evolved Member

True...just eyeballing it from my post (here: https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/09...ore-sizes.html) I'd say you'd need a coupler about 3" SHORTER than the stock RA coupler.

Originally Posted by jazket
Just calculate the height difference on the RA and X intercooler and cut that much from the stock RA upper pipe coupler
Old Oct 26, 2009, 04:36 PM
Evolving Member

This would be great if you guys figured it all out for sure. EVO X FMIC is the mod I want to do the most.
Old Oct 27, 2009, 07:57 AM
EvoM Moderator

I thought that the diameter on the Evo X IC inlet and RA hot pipe was the same diameter. I will check the diameter on the RA hot pipe to see if there is a size difference between them.

BTW, I measured the Evo X LICP that connects to the IC and the groove Arrow 1 in pic below measures 2.5" and the area where the clamp goes (Arrow 2) measures 2.25". Not sure if that is the case on the RA hot pipe as well.

I will check on mine and report back.

Quick Reply: Evo X IC and stock UICP coupler question!