Notices

Burning smells from engine bay?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9, 2010, 07:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Follow up.

Changed to all season Eagle GT's. Burning smell remains and only happens after driving in snow or on slippery surfaces. (surfaces that require the LSD's the most) So far the RA has acted exactly the same as my Impreza did under the same circumstances. I didn't smell it as much on the Impreza because for that year, the AWD was a 90/10 split until needed. As I understand, the RA is a 50/50 split and way more advanced so I again, Information leads me to believe that the smell is the LSD's working and fluid becoming hot while doing so.
Old Feb 9, 2010, 07:22 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yeah I believe that is the case too. I only notice it when I get spirited in my driving or when I am in the snow coming home up my steep hill.
Old Feb 9, 2010, 07:44 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Deathsythe
Information leads me to believe that the smell is the LSD's working and fluid becoming hot while doing so.

I don’t know about you but I know the LSD is working when I start to hallucinate.
Old Feb 9, 2010, 08:13 AM
Evolved Member

I've been running on my new summer tires for a few days now and haven't noticed the smell as much yet. So the smell may not directly be caused by winter tires, but they seem to make whatever is causing the smell worse in my experience so far.

-Taranis
Old Feb 9, 2010, 12:35 PM

^^ hahaha

The only other thing I think it could be is something with the transmission etc. transferring power to the front, center and rear diffs. but since our two other Foresters do the same thing, I think it's that. It wasn't the headgaskets because I replaced those in the Impreza and that was a sweet smell. Before the tranny died that was a burning oil smell and 1st and reverse were dead. The brakes and pads are new on the RA and aren't worn smoking, or ceasing so it can't be those. Anybody have mud on their exhaust system?

I had mud/ sod chunks on my headers once and during a meet and it caused smoke to come through my hood scoop and it smelled about the same. haha but other than that i can't really think of anything else it would be likely.
Old Mar 5, 2010, 07:45 AM

Ive noticed the burning smell a couple times when the roads werent favorable... but there is another smell more like sulfur/skunk that usually occurs with the heat on.. not quite sure what that one is?
Old Mar 6, 2010, 06:41 AM
Evolving Member

um ok ive had the burning smell once...and i was in snow mode....you guys are saying it happens in bad weather are you all in tarmac gravel or snow? i havent gone back into snow mode since and havent had the smell
Old Mar 6, 2010, 08:36 AM
Evolved Member

I haven't had the smell in awhile now. Changes are I switched from winter tires to new high performance summer tires, and the weather has been warmer. So could be related to either of those!

-Taranis
Old Feb 10, 2012, 02:12 AM
Evolving Member

I get a smell similar to the one ur describing. I get it every time I drive. It goes away when the car shuts off. Doesn't linger. Funny thing is I do have a bag on my exhaust as well. But that was quite awhile ago. I don't think it would still smell when it gets hot. The smell gets me scared but the car seems to be running good. So I try not to worry to much. No cels no warnings of any kind. Would be good to know for piece of mind tho
Old Feb 10, 2012, 07:03 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Crazems
I get a smell similar to the one ur describing. I get it every time I drive. It goes away when the car shuts off. Doesn't linger. Funny thing is I do have a bag on my exhaust as well. But that was quite awhile ago. I don't think it would still smell when it gets hot. The smell gets me scared but the car seems to be running good. So I try not to worry to much. No cels no warnings of any kind. Would be good to know for piece of mind tho
Did you take a look at the thread dates before replying
Old Feb 11, 2012, 12:31 AM
Evolving Member

Yea and I don't think it's relevant. I got the same issue. Seeing if someone figured something out