Notices

Intake Questions

Search this Thread

Old Dec 1, 2009, 10:15 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Intake Questions

Okay, so I have done some research regarding intakes for our cars and I see that overall our cars require a tune after installing an intake regardless of brand (i.e., AMS, UR, etc). However, some people say that as long as you have an intake in which the diameter of the MAF sensor housing tube is the same you do not require a tune. I also heard that Injen's CAI for our car does not require a tune either.

Any thoughts on this?

Old Dec 1, 2009, 08:16 PM

basically all an after market intake does is lean out the AF by letting more air flow. Anytime you start to lean out the mixture to far a tune is required. However if the mass air is the same size I would think youll be ok. Not really sure, When I had my Mustang I had an C&L 85mm mass air and 75mm TB and Plenum and leaned the **** out of my mixture. MY AF was all over the place before my tune. I drove it that way for a long time and I was luckly not to do any real damage to my motor. The best was to be sure is to install and hook up to a wideband and see what your af is. I say its a crap shoot.
Old Dec 2, 2009, 05:24 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Psycho09RA
Okay, so I have done some research regarding intakes for our cars and I see that overall our cars require a tune after installing an intake regardless of brand (i.e., AMS, UR, etc). However, some people say that as long as you have an intake in which the diameter of the MAF sensor housing tube is the same you do not require a tune. I also heard that Injen's CAI for our car does not require a tune either.

Any thoughts on this?

I heard from my dealer that a tune IS required after an install of the Injen CAI .
SP1837?
Old Dec 2, 2009, 06:11 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by RADriver
I heard from my dealer that a tune IS required after an install of the Injen CAI .
SP1837?
Yes, it is SP1837.

Thanks guys! I suspected that no matter what I would need a tune if I put any type of intake on my car. For now, I'll just stick with my K&N drop-in filter.
Old Dec 2, 2009, 12:22 PM
Evolving Member

As long as the MAF housing stays the same size then the car should be able to adjust itself.

When I was doing research on CAI's the only reason people were having to get retunes was because the MAF housing was larger and unmetered air was getting through, leaning out the mixture. As long as all the air is metered the stock tune can look after itself.
Old Dec 2, 2009, 02:42 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by jcm308
As long as the MAF housing stays the same size then the car should be able to adjust itself.

When I was doing research on CAI's the only reason people were having to get retunes was because the MAF housing was larger and unmetered air was getting through, leaning out the mixture. As long as all the air is metered the stock tune can look after itself.

wrong, the maf housing on the UR intake is the same size. They require the tune because of the drastic change in the amount of air being sucked in at a given throttle.

the maf /ecu cannot compensate enough.
Old Dec 3, 2009, 06:22 AM
C H
Evolving Member

Is the stock system so bad? Looks pretty efficient too me. As well most of the aftermarket kits are just going to draw hot air from the engine. Its not like the stock intake is a bottle neck and robbing the car of power.
Old Dec 3, 2009, 07:58 AM
Evolving Member

Can anyone create a tune from the gst basemap with the ultimate racing air intake.
Old Dec 3, 2009, 12:33 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Groundfades
wrong, the maf housing on the UR intake is the same size. They require the tune because of the drastic change in the amount of air being sucked in at a given throttle.

the maf /ecu cannot compensate enough.
Wrong.

Have a good read through this thread. Almost all the tuners give their opinion regarding almost all intakes currently on the market.

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/09...ms-intake.html
Old Dec 3, 2009, 12:38 PM
tre
Evolving Member

hmm some sort of SRI intake tune would be cool.
Old Dec 3, 2009, 12:40 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by C H
Is the stock system so bad? Looks pretty efficient too me. As well most of the aftermarket kits are just going to draw hot air from the engine. Its not like the stock intake is a bottle neck and robbing the car of power.
The stock intake system is actually quite wonderful. It's one of the better designed stock systems in modern cars. The main bottleneck that the RA has, imo, is its tiny blowdryer of a turbo. There's nothing wrong with a small turbo for city driving though, I don't personally plan on upgrading the turbo any time soon.
Old Dec 3, 2009, 12:57 PM

Im looking for a drop in filter not after performance just a bit more intake sound. Any suggestions? Cheers,
Old Dec 3, 2009, 01:37 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by marco ra
Im looking for a drop in filter not after performance just a bit more intake sound. Any suggestions? Cheers,
I suggest on the hks or the k&N drop in. I might be getting a hks.
Old Dec 3, 2009, 01:54 PM
Evolved Member

I'm happy with my HKS drop-in so far; I can definitely hear the turbo more when accelerating. =)

-Taranis
Old Dec 3, 2009, 01:57 PM
Evolving Member

I'm currently running a K&N drop-in filter and I have no complaints.