Notices

"New" Borla Catback for 09 Ralliart

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19, 2012, 11:07 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BravoZero
Mine isn't too bad, although it is the loudest system I've owned from them on any vehicle. You have to keep in mind, other than that small "mini muffler" on the midpipe, it's all straight pipe.

I do get a little bit of resonation between 2200 and 2500 RPMs but only under heavier throttle, at highway speeds it's not bad at all. If you're worried about it, remove the test pipe and get a resonated test pipe, that way it's removable and you won't have to hack up the Borla.

I'm not a fan at all of loud, droning exhausts, and I'm happy with all of the Borlas I've owned including this one.
I'm going to go leak check again. And then wait for lmperformance to get back to me. Maybe a resonated tp would be the best option, I really didn't think it was this loud LoL
Old Feb 19, 2012, 11:14 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It should be very easy to find a leak in the exhaust by simply putting your ear next to the flanges and couplings. If you're using the gasket sealant, you shouldn't have any leaks at all as long as you used it right.

Also, I just remembered that you're using a test pipe. It's going to be louder simply because you don't have the catalytic converter to hold back some of that noise. If you have the stock cat, try reinstalling it and see if it sounds better, then you'll know its the test pipe and/or a potential gasket leak.
Old Feb 19, 2012, 11:27 AM
Evolving Member

No leaks and sounds great just too loud. I'm going to a shop to get resonators. I love the sound just too loud for public around here I repeat myself a lot eh? The cabin noise does go to nil once I get past the first 3 gears with very light throttle. sounds so nasty, going to contact a shop tomorrow to see what they can do for me. I really like the idea of the resonators on the very end. Will look like ur/ams/cpe if that's still too loud, I will look into a hfc. If I stay off the throttle for now, it won't be too loud.
Old Feb 21, 2012, 09:52 AM
Evolved Member

So I guess if I do the borla with a 3" HFC I will have to bring it to a shop. I wonder why borla did not go 3" would have been perfect. I love the sound of the Borla.
Old Feb 21, 2012, 10:54 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Fuego
So I guess if I do the borla with a 3" HFC I will have to bring it to a shop. I wonder why borla did not go 3" would have been perfect. I love the sound of the Borla.
That's how they make their distinctive sound. Read up on their website, I have yet to come across an exhaust more than 2.75 inches in diameter.
Old Feb 24, 2012, 01:06 PM
Evolving Member

I'm getting a cat installed inside of my test pipe. If that cat helps. Then ill be good. If it doesn't. Then I'm adding a resonator after the minimuffler. If that isn't good enough, then two 12in turbo mufflers prior to the tips.
Old Mar 1, 2012, 06:44 AM
Evolving Member

Anyone figure out the best way to mate the 3" HFC/test pipe with the 2.75" Borla midpipe?
Old Mar 1, 2012, 09:07 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by BravoZero
Anyone figure out the best way to mate the 3" HFC/test pipe with the 2.75" Borla midpipe?
We cut off the two ends connected a 3inch flexible coupling (similar to the oem one near the muffler) to both ends. Cut down the 2.75 inside by slicing a line, squeezing down and welding I have a pic on the phone. Not sure how to get it on here.. photobucket wont work for me and im lazy
Old Mar 1, 2012, 09:11 AM
Evolving Member

Update: Cat was installed. Made the drone less raspy and toned down but not gone. Any load in the 2.5 ~3.5 range will still produce unwanted drone. Though not too too loud. Still loud enough to annoy me and any passengers. Next step is a magnaflow muffler camaro style(sorta like dcsports) installed. The sound is amazing but overall I should have just gone with a high flow quiet exhaust.. this is getting expensive.

Atleast it doesn't cause any headaches in the car...
Old Oct 17, 2012, 08:46 PM
Evolved Member

So most people are using the grimmspeed gasket and the permatex? I'm just wondering if there is a better solution for the 3" to 2.75" issue. Has anyone called Borla on this?
Old Oct 21, 2012, 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by Fuego
So most people are using the grimmspeed gasket and the permatex? I'm just wondering if there is a better solution for the 3" to 2.75" issue. Has anyone called Borla on this?
I personally went to an exhaust shop and had a 3" flange welded onto the end after it was expanded. now the fitment flows nicely( found the flange online for $15 each).

Posted from Evolutionm.net App for Android
Old Oct 21, 2012, 05:00 PM
Evolved Member

Excellent idea, i would prefer to do that :-) how much was it to Expand it and weld it?
Old Oct 22, 2012, 04:09 AM

super cheap, with parts $45. also welded all the slip joints so the only place it could leak was the flange

Old Oct 22, 2012, 06:51 AM
Evolved Member

very Nice! I'm planning to do the Same :-)
Old Dec 3, 2012, 10:14 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by cncledout
I personally went to an exhaust shop and had a 3" flange welded onto the end after it was expanded. now the fitment flows nicely( found the flange online for $15 each).

This worked Great!
Amazon Amazon

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/at...la-exhaust.jpg

Since I have a full 3" DP and HFC I do get a drone at highway crusing speeds. So I called Borla and they told me I need a Venturi for it. They sent it to me for free to my house. i still went ahead and ordered a Vibrant 1794 Bottle Style Resonator which is the only one that will properly fit. I should have it installed either thursday or friday. See attached picture of the Venturi.

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/at...ar-venturi.jpg

Quick Reply: "New" Borla Catback for 09 Ralliart