Notices

general BOV thread

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11, 2010, 07:21 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
general BOV thread

Is there any performance gains related to the uprgrading of the bpv? I dont want to run bov but they sell recirc kits for others and i didnt know if there was any benefit besides looks
Old Jan 11, 2010, 07:42 PM
Evolved Member

The main benefit is that you can run higher boost, and the metal BOVs are probably more durable than our stock plastic ones. Also, if you're into noise, the BOVs that vent to the atmosphere make very loud (an in my opinion, annoying) sounds.
Old Jan 11, 2010, 08:26 PM
tre
Evolving Member

i actually just installed a turboXS hybrid bpv tonight on my RA. its designed to vent/recirc 50/50.

the install was straight forward. removed the oem bpv. installed the new turboxs unit. noticed that it sat a bit too high by about 1" so i removed the S-shaped hose that runs from the bottom of the bpv to the hard plumbing thats attached to the LICP. put it back on. and it fit perfect. no rubbing/clearance issues.
secured everything down and took it for a ride. my first impression was positive. the sound emmitted wasn't obnoctious but yet still audible from the cabin of the car. i'd imagine it was a bit louder outside. i had it set so it was 50/50 recirc. drivability was unchanged. no backfires, no rough idling and most important no CEL's.

and yes i know it doesn't add HP. i got in touch with my inner ricer becuase i kinda wanted the sounds

Last edited by tre; Jan 11, 2010 at 08:31 PM.
Old Jan 11, 2010, 08:36 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by tre
and yes i know it doesn't add HP. i got in touch with my inner ricer becuase i kinda wanted the sounds
Nothing wrong with that; there will always be haters out there regardless of what you do, so just do what you want and enjoy it. =)

-Taranis
Old Jan 11, 2010, 08:38 PM
tre
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Taranis
Nothing wrong with that; there will always be haters out there regardless of what you do, so just do what you want and enjoy it. =)

-Taranis
forsure for me i figured i'd rather do this then chase after the sound by going with a SRI that would run a greater risk of engine damage if not tuned properly.
Old Jan 11, 2010, 09:42 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
BOV's prevent compressor surge by quickly venting air and they help to hold in all of your boost. I switched my ridiculously leaky oem bov (so bad you could hear a wooshing sound at only 5psi) out for a Forge RS and my car pulls 10x harder than it did before and no more air woosh sound either. Unfortunately my clutch began slipping on the first hard pull with the new bov on lol.
Old Feb 18, 2010, 01:04 PM
Evolving Member

Do you need a tune after you instal a new BOV?
Old Feb 18, 2010, 01:35 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by chlucero
Do you need a tune after you instal a new BOV?
No
Old Feb 18, 2010, 01:48 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Kieffer87
No
if your valve was leaking, and you had it tuned w/ the leaking valve, you will need to adjust boost levels a bit, as you will see more boost...
Old Feb 18, 2010, 02:11 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by nonschlont
if your valve was leaking, and you had it tuned w/ the leaking valve, you will need to adjust boost levels a bit, as you will see more boost...
If you had it tuned, a good tuner would of stopped tuning it and suggested you get a new BPV before continuing on with the tune. But I guess it's a possibility.
Old Feb 18, 2010, 08:01 PM
Evolving Member

Doubt you would need a tune just for installing a new BOV. However, if you have it set to 50/50 or 100% VTA you may want to get a tune so the ECU isn't expecting to see that extra airflow that it sees when it is normally be 100% recirculated back into the motor.

I dunno for sure though!
Old Feb 18, 2010, 08:03 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by tre
i actually just installed a turboXS hybrid bpv tonight on my RA. its designed to vent/recirc 50/50.

the install was straight forward. removed the oem bpv. installed the new turboxs unit. noticed that it sat a bit too high by about 1" so i removed the S-shaped hose that runs from the bottom of the bpv to the hard plumbing thats attached to the LICP. put it back on. and it fit perfect. no rubbing/clearance issues.
secured everything down and took it for a ride. my first impression was positive. the sound emmitted wasn't obnoctious but yet still audible from the cabin of the car. i'd imagine it was a bit louder outside. i had it set so it was 50/50 recirc. drivability was unchanged. no backfires, no rough idling and most important no CEL's.

That looks good Tre!

I'm thinking about getting an Agency Power Adjustable BOV for my RA
Old Feb 19, 2010, 10:40 AM
Account Disabled

i plan on getting a go fast bits BOV and running it on recirc. It will be quite loud through the UR intake
Old Feb 19, 2010, 10:54 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by tre
The funny part is some of the people hating on "ricer" mods for sound like the BOV turn around and install an intake and mention how they like hearing the turbo spool up more and the BOV-like sound from the BPV...
Old Feb 19, 2010, 11:20 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by majinfajita
The funny part is some of the people hating on "ricer" mods for sound like the BOV turn around and install an intake and mention how they like hearing the turbo spool up more and the BOV-like sound from the BPV...
Yeah what's up with that lol
I guess for it not to be a ricer mod it has to have gains + the sound??

Quick Reply: general BOV thread