Evo X Turbo + Goodies Installed Soon

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9, 2010, 05:32 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jan_ralliart
injen intake and uicp come in CF?
or you custom wrap them?
Had my buddy airbrush the CF look. It's all paint no actual CF. If anyone is interested in having anything painted CF imitation, or any other crazy cool airbrush stuff shoot me a PM he wants to start doing more charge pipes and intakes.
Old Feb 10, 2010, 09:31 PM
Evolving Member

Started the install tonight at 5:00, Everything was going smoothly, got the dowpipe off, O2 housing off, intake and UICP all off. Got all the brackets off the turbo housing EXCEPT the single most PITA positioned bolt. It is on the underside of the turbo, and it is on there good. I soaked it in penetrating fluid, tried heat nothing. It's in such an akward position that either you have just a socket and ratchet way up under the turbo with no leverage or you have to use a 2 feet of extensions and a swivel. I worked on that one bolt for 2 hours, gave up for the day now at 11:00.

Cross my fingers my buddy can get it out tomorrow while I am at work. Oh and to top it all off I went to take the oem O2 housing off my X turbo which the guy shipped it to me with only one bolt, of course the bolt snaps right off. I'm sure that is going to be a huge PITA to get out. I just hope tomorrow goes better or I am considering screw the X turbo and just do bolt-ons + tune.

Also can anyone verify the TP I bought was for an X and it is straight, however my stock cat pipe has a bend in it. Please don't tell me this is the part of the exhaust that isn't the same as the evo.
Old Feb 11, 2010, 08:32 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Kieffer87
. As of right now including the tune I have just shy of $1400 in all of the parts after selling my stock parts.
Are you interested in selling your stock turbo, manifold, and turbo exhaust outlet elbow?

I want to stay stock turbo and need some good used stock parts to do porting on.

Keith
Old Feb 11, 2010, 08:45 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Started the install tonight at 5:00, Everything was going smoothly, got the dowpipe off, O2 housing off, intake and UICP all off. Got all the brackets off the turbo housing EXCEPT the single most PITA positioned bolt. It is on the underside of the turbo, and it is on there good. I soaked it in penetrating fluid, tried heat nothing. It's in such an akward position that either you have just a socket and ratchet way up under the turbo with no leverage or you have to use a 2 feet of extensions and a swivel. I worked on that one bolt for 2 hours, gave up for the day now at 11:00.

Cross my fingers my buddy can get it out tomorrow while I am at work. Oh and to top it all off I went to take the oem O2 housing off my X turbo which the guy shipped it to me with only one bolt, of course the bolt snaps right off. I'm sure that is going to be a huge PITA to get out. I just hope tomorrow goes better or I am considering screw the X turbo and just do bolt-ons + tune.

Also can anyone verify the TP I bought was for an X and it is straight, however my stock cat pipe has a bend in it. Please don't tell me this is the part of the exhaust that isn't the same as the evo.
Ummm, the test pipe for the EVO X is bent... at least the one I had on my MR was.... it transferred right over to my ralliart when I traded in the MR.

Are the flanges "flat" on your new strait test pipe? In other words, can you stand the test pipe up on end without it falling over? If they are angled instead of flat that would make up for having a strait pipe and probably save cost for the company making them.

So, if they are angled your are probably fine, if they are flat mounted I don't know how it would fit.

Keith
Old Feb 11, 2010, 09:07 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Fourdoor
Are you interested in selling your stock turbo, manifold, and turbo exhaust outlet elbow?

I want to stay stock turbo and need some good used stock parts to do porting on.

Keith
I had a member on here that was supposed to be sending me a check last week for everything but I have yet to see any money. Send me a PM with an offer and we can go from there.

Originally Posted by Fourdoor
Ummm, the test pipe for the EVO X is bent... at least the one I had on my MR was.... it transferred right over to my ralliart when I traded in the MR. AMS's TP is straight and fits ralliart and X as well so I'm hoping it should work.

Are the flanges "flat" on your new strait test pipe? In other words, can you stand the test pipe up on end without it falling over? If they are angled instead of flat that would make up for having a strait pipe and probably save cost for the company making them.

So, if they are angled your are probably fine, if they are flat mounted I don't know how it would fit.

Keith

The flanges are straight. Unless the UR DP has a special bend in it to account for it. On the UR site it says both the O2/DP bolt up to stock and the TP. The pictures for both ralliart and X show it as a straight piece. Guess only time will tell if I can get this damn bolt out!

Last edited by Kieffer87; Feb 11, 2010 at 09:11 AM.
Old Feb 12, 2010, 07:24 PM
Evolving Member

Got everything installed, turns out the oil feed line is bigger and isn't listed on in the AMS thread so anyone doing this take note you DO NEED the oil feed line. I ended up having a local shop tig a bigger banjo fitting on the turbo side of the line otherwise I wouldn't have gotten the line until Thursday.

The knockoff pipes worked out well, fitment was damn good for the price paid. I took it for a test drive with my temp AMS tune and it ran great, didn't push it past 8 psi but with the new intake the turbo is 10x louder.

The only gripe I currently have is the exhaust smell is pretty bad especially with the heat on. Not sure if this is because of the TP or if it's just all the crap burning off everything. A couple days of driving should hopefully take care of it otherwise I might me looking into a HFC in the future.

I head to AMS Monday morning, I can't wait to have a smile on my face the whole way home.
Old Feb 15, 2010, 01:45 PM
Evolving Member

Got the car off the dyno about an hour ago. Final numbers were 315hp/310tq @ 23.5psi. Car runs and drives awesome, so much smoother and faster of course. Couldn't be happier.

I'll post up the dyno sheets later when I get home.
Old Feb 15, 2010, 02:58 PM

any problem with the SST
Old Feb 15, 2010, 03:21 PM
Evolving Member

That sounds awesome man! post some pics and the dyno sheet ASAP
Old Feb 15, 2010, 04:47 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
very nice. have fun with it.
Old Feb 15, 2010, 08:09 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by twistedRA
any problem with the SST
No problems what so ever. Chris said their tune includes some new tables for the SST to improve clamping force ect.

Car is much smoother, and pulls much harder in the top end. Leaving one of the tolls on the way home I got on it against my buddies stage 2 07 STI that he also got tuned at AMS today. I think he was a little disappointed when I kept pulling away from him .

All in all I am very pleased with the tune. I was trying to keep this build on somewhat of a budget and debated whether or not to actually go through with the install and tune. I would like to slap myself for ever considering that. I think the thing I like most is to most people I have a lancer with tinted windows. Maybe even to some of the more knowledgeable they know it's a ralliart but looks stock.

AMS has an awesome setup there, we spent most of the day checking out the show room and watching satellite as we waited for our cars to be tuned. My only gripe is I wish I would of realized the PS3 with GTA5 and their race seat with steering wheel and pedals setup was hooked up and on the whole time!
Old Feb 16, 2010, 05:48 AM

That sounds amazing! Im glad it all worked out good. I wasn't quite sure if i was going to do this, but now i feel like i have to do it. Congratulations!
Old Feb 16, 2010, 11:26 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Powerslide
That sounds amazing! Im glad it all worked out good. I wasn't quite sure if i was going to do this, but now i feel like i have to do it. Congratulations!
I would definitly suggest it. I considered keeping stock turbo and just doing bolt-ons + custom tune but I think I would have about the same amount of money into the project and still not achieve the same results.
Old Feb 16, 2010, 01:41 PM
Evolving Member

Dyno Graph Posted
Old Feb 16, 2010, 03:10 PM

No problems what so ever. Chris said their tune includes some new tables for the SST to improve clamping force ect.
That's good news indeed! And reassuring to know since the SST is one expensive piece of .....

Glad you're enjoying it. Have fun.

Quick Reply: Evo X Turbo + Goodies Installed Soon