Notices

Questions about RA Turbo

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22, 2010, 09:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Questions about RA Turbo

Hey guys,

Just wondering how the fuel delivery is controlled in our RA? Is it boost dependant e.g. via a MAP sensor or otherwise controlled?

How is the wastegate controlled? Does it have an internal or external WGA?

How is the boost controlled? What exactly does the boost pill do that I read about?

What happens if I run zero boost without a tune...eg by modifying its WG on the turbo will the engine run rich? Will it set a SEL?

Thanks guys.
Old Feb 22, 2010, 09:42 PM
Account Disabled

i have no idea why you would wantto run the car without boost, but at anyrate,

We have an external wastegate actuator, but it isnt the best or close to way of controlling our boost.

the boost is ecu controlled on the stock settings.

And yes it would run rich without boost on the stock map, how badly though is a toss up.
Old Feb 23, 2010, 05:14 AM
Evolving Member

Someone can correct me if I am wrong here but IIRC you can run more boost with a stock WGA but you cannot run less. I think you would need to get a new WGA.

Why are you trying to do this anyways? Keeping your foot off the gas and getting a boost gauge will help you stay out of boost until you get a tune if that's what your worried about.
Old Feb 23, 2010, 10:46 AM
Evolving Member

yea last time I check the engines are built for boost a suck with out them.
Old Mar 7, 2010, 12:27 PM

The explaination is that we are experimenting with HHO gas and hydrogen in conjunction with gasoline and boost in the intake + HHO/Hydrogen = pipe bomb. So was wondering how its controlled. Ok so boost is controlled by the ECU? Is there a MAP sensor that senses the pressure in the intake and sends that infomation to the ECU??
Old Mar 7, 2010, 03:56 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by mobman
The explaination is that we are experimenting with HHO gas and hydrogen in conjunction with gasoline and boost in the intake + HHO/Hydrogen = pipe bomb. So was wondering how its controlled. Ok so boost is controlled by the ECU? Is there a MAP sensor that senses the pressure in the intake and sends that infomation to the ECU??
HHO gas as in water vapor?
I know there's a MAF sensor for the intake if that helps at all.
Old Mar 7, 2010, 04:25 PM
Account Disabled

yeah its not like the srt-4 where there is a map sensor.
Old Mar 8, 2010, 12:10 AM
Account Disabled

Boost is controlled by the ECU which uses a electronic solenoid to control a mechanical internal wastegate. If you took the restrictor pill out of the pressure side of the solenoid boost assembly the car would run wastegate boost. I believe wastegate boost on the RA is around 10 psi or so.

There is a MAP sensor but it does not use it for boost control. Boost control is raw solenoid duty cycle + load based error correction.

The Evo 10 / RA is both hotwire MAF and MAP based for fueling which is load based. If you run less boost, it will run less load and with the factory fuel mapping, it will run leaner.

Your project sounds interesting.

- Bryan

Last edited by GST Motorsports; Mar 8, 2010 at 12:15 AM.
Old Mar 8, 2010, 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by GST Motorsports
Boost is controlled by the ECU which uses a electronic solenoid to control a mechanical internal wastegate. If you took the restrictor pill out of the pressure side of the solenoid boost assembly the car would run wastegate boost. I believe wastegate boost on the RA is around 10 psi or so.

There is a MAP sensor but it does not use it for boost control. Boost control is raw solenoid duty cycle + load based error correction.

The Evo 10 / RA is both hotwire MAF and MAP based for fueling which is load based. If you run less boost, it will run less load and with the factory fuel mapping, it will run leaner.

Your project sounds interesting.

- Bryan

Bryan, so if I were to take the WGA off completely and run zero boost would the ECU compensate with a leaner fuel curve at even higher rpms? Or will it just run rich?

We need this information because stoich for hydrogen/HHO is around 59:1 vs gasoline stoich which is around 14.7 or so, we need to know exactly how much fuel the ECU is dumping into the engine so we can adjust our mixture.
Old Mar 8, 2010, 04:44 PM
Account Disabled

Bryan, so if I were to take the WGA off completely and run zero boost would the ECU compensate with a leaner fuel curve at even higher rpms? Or will it just run rich?
Yes you could just unhook the WGA arm from the WG flapper. It might still make a little bit of boost. With the stock fuel map the car will run leaner with less load (less boost)

We need this information because stoich for hydrogen/HHO is around 59:1 vs gasoline stoich which is around 14.7 or so, we need to know exactly how much fuel the ECU is dumping into the engine so we can adjust our mixture.
You could use a wideband input for your HHO sprayer no? Or use the IPW signal.

- Bryan