Notices

TC-SST Failure. Imporant!

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31, 2011, 06:34 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Livefast.eu
Have anyone notice this kind of thing:
When cruising on highway on automatic mode with 6th gear(also manual and tapping to 4th gear from 6th),and i do kick down,gear goes 4th and it starts reving first before go? And when it goes,it feels like there is only some of power potential. Okay,i would not think this so hard like i am,if it does this all the time. Then i just would think,it´s electrical and just protecting gearbox. But sometimes it will go imediatly with no reving and "thinking" when i put gas to the floor in totally same conditions.
If someone had found this thing in map/sst tables and figured out,how to get out of it. So imediatly response and GO. Please let me know.
Or is time to change fluids?
I've had this happen to me once or twice as well.
Old Apr 1, 2011, 08:32 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
SO let me get this right, youll be drving and then you floor it and it dropps gears, revs then accelerates? It will have some time lag so the transmission can rev match and not slip.

If your talking about like driving around in manual, lets say 4th and you give it gas and it goes instantly, then the next time you do it it has a time lag and revs before it engages?
This has somewhat to do with the fact that our transmissions use "Fuzzy Logic" and adapts to the way we drive. So if you arent driving expect it it react instantly all the time, neither will it engage like that.

Since ive changed my fluid, all my driving has changed, its smoother, it doesnt c"clunk" when its shifts as bad now, seems to engage harder also. Im just trying to share my experience with people worried about the trannies with the ralliart's.

Even before the change my tranny was fine, but at 38k miles (about 18k with my evox swap), i decided it was time to do the maintence on the drivetrain.
Old Apr 1, 2011, 11:34 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yes,sorry my english. I try my best to explain

"SO let me get this right, youll be drving and then you floor it and it dropps gears, revs then accelerates? It will have some time lag so the transmission can rev match and not slip. "

Yes,this is right.

But why i think this,is that it doesnt do that all the time. Sometimes it answers to gas imediatly and goes without any lag or extra reving.
Situations is always same:
6th gear,about 100km/h speed,kick down with gas pedal and it changes to 4th.
This all with automatic mode. (Does with manual too when change from 6th to 4th)
Old Apr 3, 2011, 02:21 AM
Evolving Member

Has this issue bene revised in the 11 model? What has been the main thing failing (the clutch or the gears etc), i want to modify mine just for the occasional track run(once every 4-6 months) and a bit of traffic light play but far out i could understand something running 30psi with no gearbox mods failing like it has.

But unless your launching yourself into space, these things should be chirpy and ready for the next gear change not just failing and your scratching your head having to go to mitsubishi for warranty.

Is their anything i can do with gear oils to make it better or possibly upgrades to the sst(car only have 1500 miles on the clock).

Last edited by migs647; Apr 3, 2011 at 10:18 AM.
Old Apr 3, 2011, 07:39 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
IIRC most of the problems are electronic related, temp sensors and such. but there have been mechanical problems also. SSP sells strong clutches.better fluid, better cooler, and deep oil pan if you go down that route

Last edited by migs647; Apr 3, 2011 at 10:18 AM.
Old Apr 8, 2012, 10:41 AM

Hiya all ive been reading this thread and i though i would share my experience.

ok, first of all i am french canadian and my english is not so good.

i have a Ralliart 2009.ive got my tranny changed at 40000 km under warranty when i had no mod to my car..

now my car has downpipe -high flow cat and catback so full exhaust.it has aem gauge ..now this weekend i wanted to add some more mods to it with my friend..

and when we started strinpping front and under plastic to install my intercooler and lower pipe and upper pipe my friend remakred alot of oil on my plastic under the transmission,we looked further in and saw it was coming from the transmission gearbox i think..

now my question is do you think for those mods my dealer could not change my sst under warranty?my tranny seem to work good,it just it loosing a bit of oil,but i know they dont repare em as getrag dont want and direct replace em..

im scared of my dealer trying to find reason to not change it under warranty.just because of my mods..the sst tranny is a very big fail for em,its jsut they dont sell many cars with it is reason why we dont see it public

now i have evo x intercooler lower pipe and upper pipe installed
along with my full exhaust,i never mapped the car yet or installed intake.

do you think they can give me trouble with warranty?
oh btw the car has 83000 km now
thanks for your though

Last edited by Meverk; Apr 8, 2012 at 10:43 AM.
Old Apr 8, 2012, 05:44 PM
Evolving Member

Make sure it's not synthetic oil leaking from the oil pan. There's no gasket and they can be notorious for leaking. Had the same issue and thought it was my transmission too. Good sealant will fix your oil pan.
Old Apr 17, 2012, 08:29 AM
Evolving Member

Any substantive updates on the 09 RA? Considering one for my wife but this RA SST thing has be wondering if it's smart.
Old Apr 21, 2012, 09:12 PM
Evolving Member

I have 09 RA with 42,000 miles. It's still going strong. It has boostpill, Tbe and hfc. But remember, all cars performs different even with the same year and model...
Old Apr 22, 2012, 07:37 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Meverk
ok, first of all i am french canadian and my english is not so good.

i have a Ralliart 2009.ive got my tranny changed at 40000 km under warranty when i had no mod to my car..

now my car has downpipe -high flow cat and catback so full exhaust.it has aem gauge ..now this weekend i wanted to add some more mods to it with my friend..

and when we started strinpping front and under plastic to install my intercooler and lower pipe and upper pipe my friend remakred alot of oil on my plastic under the transmission,we looked further in and saw it was coming from the transmission gearbox i think..

now my question is do you think for those mods my dealer could not change my sst under warranty?my tranny seem to work good,it just it loosing a bit of oil,but i know they dont repare em as getrag dont want and direct replace em..

im scared of my dealer trying to find reason to not change it under warranty.just because of my mods..the sst tranny is a very big fail for em,its jsut they dont sell many cars with it is reason why we dont see it public

now i have evo x intercooler lower pipe and upper pipe installed
along with my full exhaust,i never mapped the car yet or installed intake.

do you think they can give me trouble with warranty?
oh btw the car has 83000 km now
thanks for your though

That should be the SST Filter leaking. I had a problem like that was covered under warranty. Is it near the driver side wheel? Because that's where the filter is located.
Old Apr 22, 2012, 11:59 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Zombie Killer
Any substantive updates on the 09 RA? Considering one for my wife but this RA SST thing has be wondering if it's smart.
08 X and 09 RA were the first gens, not all had problems but they were more frequent for them. Personally, I would not buy a used 08 MR for that reason.
Old Oct 8, 2013, 05:52 PM

Okay guys, just joined the forum 5 minutes ago. I have no clue what I'm doing. But I do know that my TC-SST is the biggest junk I've ever experienced. Got the car new 8/2012. The car is stock, with 32,xxx miles. ( 4,000 miles from an absolute disaster). The tranny has been slipping gears ever since I can remember. Whether it's in automatic or slap. Long story short, someone shot off fireworks under my hood followed by a "Service Transmission" on my display. It is now at the dealership undergoing a full transmission replacement priced at $13,000. There is OBVIOUSLY something wrong with TC-SST. I am no expert by any means but this many failures under 50,000 miles.. 30,000 miles? Is absolutely ridiculous. I will keep the crowd posted of how it goes. junk junk junk... I guess I will wait 2 years to trade in for a GSR since the value has depreciated over 40%.
Old Oct 8, 2013, 06:32 PM
Evolving Member

Sorry to hear about your bad experience.

So far, at least from what I have read, the majority of SST issues have been concentrated between the 2009-2010 model years on the Ralliart (2008-2010 on Evo X). I can't recall reading of a 2012 having the same issues that you have described.

Had the SST fluid and filter been changed? Also, at what mileage did the problems start?

Originally Posted by Airbiscuit
Okay guys, just joined the forum 5 minutes ago. I have no clue what I'm doing. But I do know that my TC-SST is the biggest junk I've ever experienced. Got the car new 8/2012. The car is stock, with 32,xxx miles. ( 4,000 miles from an absolute disaster). The tranny has been slipping gears ever since I can remember. Whether it's in automatic or slap. Long story short, someone shot off fireworks under my hood followed by a "Service Transmission" on my display. It is now at the dealership undergoing a full transmission replacement priced at $13,000. There is OBVIOUSLY something wrong with TC-SST. I am no expert by any means but this many failures under 50,000 miles.. 30,000 miles? Is absolutely ridiculous. I will keep the crowd posted of how it goes. junk junk junk... I guess I will wait 2 years to trade in for a GSR since the value has depreciated over 40%.
Old Oct 9, 2013, 12:52 AM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
This thread may not be a useful barometer of SST owner experiences.

It was dead and buried from April 2011 to April 2012, when someone reanimated it. After that, it slept peacefully for another 18 months.. until today.

Please note that there is a little bit more activity here...

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/mi...esults-16.html

...but even that thread was dormant for three months until this week.

Anyway, I'm sorry you're having trans issues. A properly running SST is a truly wonderful thing...
Old Oct 9, 2013, 05:01 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Airbiscuit
Long story short, someone shot off fireworks under my hood followed by a "Service Transmission" on my display.
I don't think you can blame Mitsubishi for your TC-SST problems based on your statement above. Am I the only person who noticed this or am I missing something here???

Quick Reply: TC-SST Failure. Imporant!