Notices

TC-SST Failure. Imporant!

Search this Thread

Old Oct 9, 2013, 06:19 AM
Evolved Member

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
^me too. I don't think Mitsu Engineering planned and tested for THAT contingency [rolls eyes]

Don't cry about the bill - get the Jack-hole who shot off fireworks to pay for it! Duh! (unless it was his fireworks under his car and then, still, quit cher' cryin').
Old Oct 16, 2013, 08:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've got a little problem with my ralliart, not really sure if it is to do with the transmission, as it doesn't seem like the behavior of a slipping clutch.

Basically if I am in 1st or 2nd gear and I go 100% throttle all the way to rev limiter (7,500 on my tune) when I engage 2nd/3rd it bounces back to 6,800-7000rpm but will stay there for about 3 seconds, it won't drop and it won't increase. After the 3 seconds it smashes back on to limiter again and then it shifts fine. It doesn't happen all the time, but it freaks me out when it does, and I just let off the throttle.

I can shift through 3rd,4th and 5th all the way to limiter with no problem, I don't valve bounce often at all, only when I am showing off haha
Old Oct 17, 2013, 06:21 AM

Originally Posted by RawrlliArt
I've got a little problem with my ralliart, not really sure if it is to do with the transmission, as it doesn't seem like the behavior of a slipping clutch.

Basically if I am in 1st or 2nd gear and I go 100% throttle all the way to rev limiter (7,500 on my tune) when I engage 2nd/3rd it bounces back to 6,800-7000rpm but will stay there for about 3 seconds, it won't drop and it won't increase. After the 3 seconds it smashes back on to limiter again and then it shifts fine. It doesn't happen all the time, but it freaks me out when it does, and I just let off the throttle.

I can shift through 3rd,4th and 5th all the way to limiter with no problem, I don't valve bounce often at all, only when I am showing off haha
What year of your car? How many km done total?
Last time sst oil was changed and any mods to car?

Need to give a bit more information
Old Nov 1, 2013, 02:46 PM
Evolving Member

i know i'm late chiming in here but it seems like alot of the post of failed MR trannies are cars with mods. also some info left out is are you first owner, second owner, etc.

you have to think how many of these cars mitsu sold that are 100% bone stock, never abused that have big failures. I have an MR, trust me I push her hard almost 2 to 3 times a week. No problems and I have about 59k on her right now. I'm second owner. I got her from a 63 year old woman. Her husband and her buy 2 of everything. I agree these cars are sensitive to things like tuning and big power upgrades. but i truly believe that comes with the game. just my 2 cents. Also i see alot of younger drivers drag racing these cars. they where never made for that. If you want real problems i can show you my RX8 that is sitting in my garage sucking money out my wallet as we speak. now that's a money pit.

no slamming anyone just a different perspective. trust me i felt the same way about my rotary. but hindsight i have to look at the part i played too.
Old Nov 14, 2013, 05:18 PM
Evolving Member

So I'm not used to the SST yet, bought the car at the end of August with 15k and I'm currently at 19k (took a road trip to Florida with it, the car did amazing and we averaged 27mpg's at 70mph!) I drive very carefully but you never know how the first owner drove the car.

That being said, I have noticed if I have to brake a little harder then usual it feels like the transmission skips (I'm guessing this is the infamous slipping I've heard about?), especially when I'm in lower gears like 1-3. Shifting into 2nd seems to be getting rougher. Today I noticed that when I started the car up there was a very unique sound that came out of the rear, it sounded almost like an electric motor running? It was only for a very short amount of time though and I think it was only when I put it in gear.

Anybody have any ideas? I'm probably going to schedule an inspection on Saturday, how much is it to get one?
Old Nov 14, 2013, 05:49 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by RotorGlowGTS
So I'm not used to the SST yet, bought the car at the end of August with 15k and I'm currently at 19k (took a road trip to Florida with it, the car did amazing and we averaged 27mpg's at 70mph!) I drive very carefully but you never know how the first owner drove the car.

That being said, I have noticed if I have to brake a little harder then usual it feels like the transmission skips (I'm guessing this is the infamous slipping I've heard about?), especially when I'm in lower gears like 1-3. Shifting into 2nd seems to be getting rougher. Today I noticed that when I started the car up there was a very unique sound that came out of the rear, it sounded almost like an electric motor running? It was only for a very short amount of time though and I think it was only when I put it in gear.

Anybody have any ideas? I'm probably going to schedule an inspection on Saturday, how much is it to get one?
My suggestion would be to download the GST Basemap which will help with your shifting smoothness. There's a thread in the "stickies" on here if you're not familiar with it yet.
Old Nov 14, 2013, 05:55 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Slee256
My suggestion would be to download the GST Basemap which will help with your shifting smoothness. There's a thread in the "stickies" on here if you're not familiar with it yet.
I've seen that thread and have looked into it. So all of this is normal then?
Old Nov 14, 2013, 06:03 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by RotorGlowGTS
I've seen that thread and have looked into it. So all of this is normal then?
Yes, the stock tune is garbage.
Old Dec 8, 2013, 07:14 AM

I may be having similar issues. My check engine light went on yesterday. Right when it went on the car stopped moving as Iw as driving. Came to a halt. Had to turn it off and turn it back in and it ran like normal. I got to an auto zone and they pulled the code P183D. Shift Fork 2 Malfunction. I posted a thread about it just now explaining it in more detail. I just got my car out of the shop not even a month ago for a Timing chain at 60295. Basically the car when accelerating you start to hear the engine ping and it feels as if it's skipping when passing between 2nd and 3rd.

The car has 61350, it is not driven hard nor raced and practically stock. Only upgrades is a stock evo boy from AMS and an HKS filter. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated on this thread or the one I posted.
Old Dec 9, 2013, 08:30 AM

My car will skip every once in a while from 2nd to 3rd accelerating slowly at the beginning of the day. I'll be at 1500 rpm and it will be I'm 3rd before and sometimes just after 2000 rpm.

I just had my transmission replaced under warranty 2 weeks ago. It's about up at 56000 miles and a month until it's 5 years old and I'm also getting the service required ACD warning so I'm going back for some answers for all of the above today.

Also I don't hear any pinging when it does this.

Last edited by Isamu966; Dec 9, 2013 at 08:37 AM.
Old Dec 9, 2013, 02:35 PM

Well after doing a lot of research it is time to change the transmission fluid. Dealer wanted to charge me 700 plus after initially stating it was 162. Received a call and stated he made an error and went off a basic lancer. I am so fed up with this specific model and year and I am contemplating trading it in. That literally is 700 for the service and praying it will fix the shift fork 2 malfunction I got a day again. The CEL hit and went to an auto zone to pull the code. The CEL has not come on since. Has anyone had luck? I am out of warranty and nearly escaped a 2,000 bill fighting for coverage for a timing chain defect. A lot more details are on a thread I posted. Seems it got a lot of views but no feedback lol. I guess this model is just a guinea pig of sorts. What do you guys think I should do? Have 4 more payments and am really thinking hard on getting rid of it. The time is ticking as I couldn't do the service on the transmission.
Old Dec 9, 2013, 05:54 PM

So back from the dealership and they came up with nothing except try it in sports mode to see if it happens again. They also said my Service Required message was probably for a steering sensor. They said they had to realign it when installing the new transmission.

Here's the story of the transmission failure if anyone's wondering.

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/11028994-post333.html
Old Jan 27, 2014, 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by Isamu966
So back from the dealership and they came up with nothing except try it in sports mode to see if it happens again. They also said my Service Required message was probably for a steering sensor. They said they had to realign it when installing the new transmission.

Here's the story of the transmission failure if anyone's wondering.

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/11028994-post333.html
How did it turn out? All better?

What dealership did you go to? Location/ Name?
Old Jan 27, 2014, 12:41 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Isamu966
My car will skip every once in a while from 2nd to 3rd accelerating slowly at the beginning of the day. I'll be at 1500 rpm and it will be I'm 3rd before and sometimes just after 2000 rpm.

I just had my transmission replaced under warranty 2 weeks ago. It's about up at 56000 miles and a month until it's 5 years old and I'm also getting the service required ACD warning so I'm going back for some answers for all of the above today.

Also I don't hear any pinging when it does this.
I have had this happen since day 1, I believe most people don't report this is because the majority do not drive in manual mode.
Mostly happens when I'm making a turn and the SST grinds on the gear for a little while and will eventually upshift. I believe it's a self-protective mechanism that when you slip too much (beginning of day, low RPM) it will upshift for you.
Old Jan 27, 2014, 12:57 PM
Evolving Member

I bought my 2009 ralliart brand new. Left the dealership with 70 miles on it. I drove 60 miles to get it home. Didnt drive aggressive by any means. The very next day Im driving it and the "service required" light on the LCD screen. Called the dealer immediately and they had me bring it back. They wouldn't take the car back and the cleared the code. Didnt even make it out of town before it happened again. Long story short I fought with them for 6 months before they did something. They said it was some torque thing sticking in the trans. Gave me a rental car for a week while they got a brand new tranny and swap it out. It sucked fighting with them that long but at least in the end they made it right

Quick Reply: TC-SST Failure. Imporant!