Notices

TC-SST Failure. Imporant!

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2, 2010, 10:58 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RotorGlow
You can't trade these cars in unless you want to lose TONS of money. They are worth about 50%-60% of what you paid for it (in less than a year). I've been dealing with dealerships for the past couple weeks. I can't afford to trade the damn thing in. Hopefully around the 2 year 10 month mark I'll be in a better situation to do a trade.
Thanks for making me feel even better about taking a chance and buying my first . Guess I'll have fun with my Ralliart until the tranny goes kaboom!
Old Mar 2, 2010, 11:04 AM
Evolving Member

Sorry man. This is my first Mitsu too, and I can guarantee the last.
Worst part is, I traded in a bullet-proof 2006 Toyota Tacoma.
Old Mar 2, 2010, 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by jazket
You'll be bitten by the Speed Bug and then you'll be stranded cause you can't mod the MR like the GSR, and then Tranny issues will start to show up... go for a GSR, I should have done the same
Tell me about it bro...only reason to get an MR or a RA would be for the ease of the tranny to use. My wife "absofreakinlutely" hates the clutch on my car. She can drive 5 speed but in L.A. with a ton of traffic=sucks.
Old Mar 2, 2010, 11:37 AM
Account Disabled

these issues have nothing to do with mods. This is the guinea pig batch with the new tranny, there WILL be issues and concerns on stock and modified cars. This issue has to do with the tranny's themselves, and which batch they may have come from. Case and point is a stock one failing, while many of us modded with similar miles and more power have yet to see issues at all.

Luck of the draw.

keep in mind im aware the mods probably sped up the issues on these cars, but they arent the direct cause, the car is, and driver are.
Old Mar 2, 2010, 11:47 AM
Evolving Member

If enough failures occur and are reported, they may extend the warranty like VW did on the DSG (I got the letter despite not owning it anymore saying the warranty is now 10 years, 160 000 kms on the transmission).

For once, the wife was right about an extended warranty lol...(covered for 8 years/200000kms)
Old Mar 2, 2010, 12:57 PM

What years are the cars in question here?
Old Mar 2, 2010, 02:33 PM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by majinfajita
If enough failures occur and are reported, they may extend the warranty like VW did on the DSG (I got the letter despite not owning it anymore saying the warranty is now 10 years, 160 000 kms on the transmission).

For once, the wife was right about an extended warranty lol...(covered for 8 years/200000kms)
I got rid of my warranty because I didn't think it was worth it on this car.
But, you can always extend your warranty that's not an issue. But if this keeps up they should automatically extend it for you or refund your money if you have an existing one. Because if it turns out to be defective then they have to acknowledge that just like Toyota.

Originally Posted by CaSilvia
My bone stock RA just got the tranny replaced. Problems existed since i bought it. While in 5th gear decelerating a very obvious vibration started from 90kph-80kph, then stop, then from 70kph-60kph it would start again.

Tranny was finally replaced 4months after the dealerships 4th diagnosis. My car is booked in tomorrow for yet another technician ride along. Problem still exists, its just more subtle now.
As for the vibration on deceleration, I seem to get this as well as you described. I thought it was normal thing since it's AWD. I'm going to get it on video and then post it up so we can get some feedback going on that.

2009 RA
15,500 miles
1 'mod' HKS Air Filter, all else stock
93 Octane (Shell)
Mobile 1 Synthetic Oil
Old Mar 2, 2010, 02:35 PM
Evolved Member

Received 75 Likes on 68 Posts
I'm sorry but I fail to see how this is recall worthy. It's not a safety issue and it's not an emissions issue. Two of the cars you reference are modified and you openly admit to running your car hard and drag racing it. Why should Mitsubishi have to foot the bill for this or worse still, agree to cover all TC-SST problems as a recall would require?
Old Mar 2, 2010, 02:57 PM
Evolved Member

Aparently you didn't read thru the entire thread amby... Oh dear amby, here we go again...
Old Mar 2, 2010, 03:00 PM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by ambystom01
I'm sorry but I fail to see how this is recall worthy. It's not a safety issue and it's not an emissions issue. Two of the cars you reference are modified and you openly admit to running your car hard and drag racing it. Why should Mitsubishi have to foot the bill for this or worse still, agree to cover all TC-SST problems as a recall would require?
Good point it's a little early to assume a recall, could be mod or owner treatment that causes the problem. We need more information as suggested by the original post.

It's not a stretch to say this could fall under a safety issue if things turn out otherwise.

I agree the manufacture shouldn't have to cover this for modified or drag raced cars.
Old Mar 2, 2010, 03:00 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by jazket
Aparently you didn't read thru the entire thread amby... Oh dear amby, here we go again...
So far, I've heard of a single Ralliart transmission outright failing in a stock car, you allude to that car yourself. Another individual with a stock Ralliart posted that he had an issue however given that said problem is still present with a new transmission, it leads me to believe it's something else. You have a single example of a stock car failing, all the rest were modified and abused to some degree.
Old Mar 2, 2010, 03:02 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by robertg
Good point it's a little early to assume a recall, could be mod or owner treatment that causes the problem. We need more information as suggested by the original post.

It's not a stretch to say this could fall under a safety issue if things turn out otherwise.

I agree the manufacture shouldn't have to cover this for modified or drag raced cars.
It's not a safety issue, if your transmission dies, at worst the car slows down and comes to a stop.
Old Mar 2, 2010, 03:03 PM
Account Disabled

this has no comparison too the what 100 or so engine failures that subie had on its 08+ wrx's.

as far as i know there was no recall there.
Old Mar 2, 2010, 03:05 PM
Evolving Member

As a RA owner I hope this issue is operator error. Until I find out otherwise ...The sky is not falling.
Old Mar 2, 2010, 03:05 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by secondchace
this has no comparison too the what 100 or so engine failures that subie had on its 08+ wrx's.

as far as i know there was no recall there.
Correct, there was no official recall because it didn't apply across the board nor was it deemed a safety issue. Only a small range of VINs were affected. Basically, if your VIN fell in that range and your engine went kaboom, they replaced it for free. Not sure why this is relevant though since no one mentioned Subaru.

Quick Reply: TC-SST Failure. Imporant!