Notices

TC-SST Failure. Imporant!

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2, 2010, 03:09 PM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by ambystom01
It's not a safety issue, if your transmission dies, at worst the car slows down and comes to a stop.
Here's one transmission recall where that wasn't the case.

http://nhthqnwws111.odi.nhtsa.dot.go...4V176-2519.PDF
Old Mar 2, 2010, 03:16 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
From what I understand, there are 3 cars with failures and 2 of them have been modified. So throw those two cases right out. Now you have one case of this happening and you are filing a safety complaint with the NHTSA?

National Highway Traffic Safety Admin. Safety. Safety. What does that have to do with you modifying and burning out your clutch pack?

There's always an exception to the rule, one case is not a big deal. I understand where you are coming from and hope the best for you but you essentially are complaining because your personal transmission no longer works as well because you modified and raced it and now you blame Mitsubishi as if they have somehow been negligent or are at least at fault for the situation. If you were stock, you would be covered.
Old Mar 2, 2010, 03:17 PM
Evolving Member

I think the comparison was to the lack off RA's vs. the 100+ subies and the fact there was still no full recall. Forgive me if my opinion differs from yours.
Old Mar 2, 2010, 03:17 PM
Evolved Member

Received 75 Likes on 68 Posts
It doesn't look like they replaced the transmission, they simply installed an oil jet. It doesn't appear to have been a safety issue either, it may have been a voluntary recall notice. I believe that the only times they are legally required to issue a recall are safety concerns and emissions issues.
Old Mar 2, 2010, 03:19 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Tommy Di Cat
I think the comparison was to the lack off RA's vs. the 100+ subies and the fact there was still no full recall. Forgive me if my opinion differs from yours.
I figured that's what it was but I've learned to be very careful on here when someone mentions Subaru, it's normally not in a positive manner.
Old Mar 2, 2010, 03:20 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by robertg
Here's one transmission recall where that wasn't the case.

http://nhthqnwws111.odi.nhtsa.dot.go...4V176-2519.PDF
I didn't read the entire document, but it looks like all they're saying is that a broken tooth on a gear could theoretically freeze up the trans. Unless I missed something, it didn't actually happen.
Old Mar 2, 2010, 03:25 PM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Boltz.
I didn't read the entire document, but it looks like all they're saying is that a broken tooth on a gear could theoretically freeze up the trans. Unless I missed something, it didn't actually happen.
Yes what you said is correct.

The part I was addressing was that a failure in this case of a transmission could be deemed a safety issue and therefore subject to a recall.

Bottom line, not enough information right now.
Old Mar 2, 2010, 04:16 PM
Evolved Member

It's still not a safety issue, nothing in that article supports that statement.
Old Mar 2, 2010, 04:16 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by robertg
Yes what you said is correct.

The part I was addressing was that a failure in this case of a transmission could be deemed a safety issue and therefore subject to a recall.

Bottom line, not enough information right now.
Agreed. A transmission failure involving flaws in the gears could certainly be a safety issue. Sounds like the OP has a problem with his clutch discs not grabbing as hard anymore.
Old Mar 2, 2010, 04:18 PM
Evolving Member

Mod'd MR trannys have blown.. Mod'd GSR's trannys have blown.. Im sure there has been a few stock gsr's and mr's with blown trannys.. you don't see them crying for a tranny recall. If you take your car to the strip/track and you break something down the road.. That is not Mitsubishi's fault, it's your own damn fault..

Mechanical failure happens in all makes and models. !!!THATS WHY YOU HAVE WARRANTY!!! its not for modding and beating the **** out of your car, then crying to mitsu because something broke and you want it for free.

Don't mod or drive spirited if you are not willing to pay the price.

Fail thread is Fail
Old Mar 2, 2010, 05:02 PM

+1 ^^^^
Old Mar 2, 2010, 05:59 PM
Evolving Member

Does this also affect the Evolution MRs SST transmission? Forgive me for a newb question but are those trannys identical to the Ralliarts?
Old Mar 2, 2010, 06:02 PM
Evolved Member

They're similar but not identical.
Old Mar 2, 2010, 06:53 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Jyrk
Mod'd MR trannys have blown.. Mod'd GSR's trannys have blown.. Im sure there has been a few stock gsr's and mr's with blown trannys.. you don't see them crying for a tranny recall. If you take your car to the strip/track and you break something down the road.. That is not Mitsubishi's fault, it's your own damn fault..

Mechanical failure happens in all makes and models. !!!THATS WHY YOU HAVE WARRANTY!!! its not for modding and beating the **** out of your car, then crying to mitsu because something broke and you want it for free.

Don't mod or drive spirited if you are not willing to pay the price.

Fail thread is Fail
does that 3 comes from RA 2009?
As everyone knows, TC-SST Twin Clutch is still new and if u want to drag it, use manual transmission is more recommended since RA doesn't come with man-trans so better don't beat your car. It may look nasty with 237hp turbo but still it's not meant to be a race car, it's a semi-sport car =)
as i read the thread, u said sth about drag racing. alot of things could happen when u drag it, changing gear too late, high rpm, playing with gearbox like your D***.
$40k what do you expect?
Old Mar 2, 2010, 07:02 PM
Evolving Member

It has nothing to do with changing gears late and high rpms... i can bounce off the rev limiter allday long, the only thing you will see from that is a giant paper weight for an engine, not a blown tranny.

When people take their cars to drag.. Most people hold the brake and give it throttle until about 3k rpm and launch from there.

This is very hard on the tranny, and yet people still wonder why their **** broke.

Try a neutral drop i heard the SST can handle it very well also

Last edited by Jyrk; Mar 2, 2010 at 07:08 PM.

Quick Reply: TC-SST Failure. Imporant!