Notices

TC-SST Failure. Imporant!

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2, 2010, 07:20 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Jyrk is spot on in my opinion! You have to pay to play! Sucks but that is the way of the world.

I fix Mazdas for a living and never like to point the finger early on....but I see "boost pill mod" in your list, that is a huge red flag to me! Altering boost is a big deal esp. if not done properly.

Hopefully it will work out well for you non the less.

Murph
Old Mar 2, 2010, 07:58 PM
Account Disabled

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
boost pill is done with a tune so it isnt that big of a deal. I dont have a boost pill at all, stock or otherwise. My tune didnt require it. Its 6 1 1/2 dozen the other imho
Old Mar 3, 2010, 09:14 AM
Evolved Member

Hold on guys

those of you who are saying the thread is a fail and what not

I'm not whining about my car, and the one with the issue is not my car either. I have 22,000 miles on my RA and I've beaten the crap out of it, and it's still working fine... except for 2nd gear like I mentioned that "sometimes" happens to slip if I drop the hammer too early... but that's a conv for another time...

I also mentioned how the car with the issue was NEVER taken to a drag race, ever. And how it's only got 19,000 miles. And how another local RA owner we know had the same 2-4-6 gears failure... which is a common thing here at EvoM.net Ralliart Forums... isnt it?

C'mon, I remember me, Amby and a few other members discussing the TC-SST's advantages and weakness, and even amby said how he thinks the SST is weak, which it is, we all agreed on that.

I understand all trannys fail if they're stressed out, but SST have been failing too prematurely... I have couple friends with IX and X GSR that are heavely modded and that always go to the drag races with me, and they have not seen a single tranny swap on their cars...

a friend of mine's 06 WRX has 69,000 miles on it, with close to 300lbs torque to the wheels, he goes to the drag race EVERY friday and always drops the hammer pass 4k rpm at the green light... his tranny is as good as new! dont tell me trannys are being abused cause I know people who abused their trannies, while a lot of people on RA's are either mildly modded or stock and are still getting early tranny failures!

How is it then that RA owners that dont even drag race start noticing transmission failures before or around 20,000 miles?
Simple, the TC-SST on the first batch of RAs are weak and are prone to failure sooner than acceptable (imo)

Amby and some other users mentioned how there's been around 100 08 WRX that had blown engines and had to be recalled cause it was a batch with issues... So can us RA get a bit of attention and try to find out if we are also suffering from a batch that needs a recall?

and like I mentioned, if you get a Mazda, a Toyota, an Evo, a Subaru, whatever, and you get to blow your tranny, you still have a chance cause there will be techs out there that can work on your tranny.... what about us RA or MR owners? what can we do once we eff up our tranny and we want to assume responsibility for it? Don't tell me buying a new tranny cause that's 9k from Mitsubishi... the only place to get a replacement from....

If that's the case then I suggest everyone to trade in ther Ralliart sooner than later, while the car is still worth something

Last edited by jazket; Mar 3, 2010 at 09:21 AM.
Old Mar 3, 2010, 09:19 AM
Evolved Member

Received 75 Likes on 68 Posts
The 2-4-6 gear issue is strange because it isn't always caused by a true transmission issue, it appears that MAF problems cause it as well. The member you speak of modified their car, it is making, hopefully, substantially more power than stock. I did say and do still believe that the TC-SST is weak in a relative sense, it can't handle gobs of power like the Evo 5-speed can. It appears to be fine in stock trim though.
Old Mar 3, 2010, 10:38 AM
Evolved Member

This time around, I have to fully agree with Amby's posts on this thread. The fact of the matter is the cars were abused to some degree (Jazket admits to beating on the car and brings it to the dragstrip regularly)... the other 2 failures were modified. If you are going to race/drag your car, you will have to take some responsibility. You can't expect Mitsubishi to "fund" your hobby when things start breaking, because the Ralliart... even though it's "rally-bred"... is still like any other production/main-stream car where the owner is expected to drive and maintain the car "normally". Bringing it to the dragstrip/track and/or modding it isn't actually considered as "normal", now is it?

Take a look at Nissan for example, specifically the GT-R (their halo car)... aren't they voiding warranties left & right to people who abuse the tranny? The 370z had overheating problems on the track too, and (correct me if I'm wrong) they also void the warranty if you race the car.

Last edited by tipoytm; Mar 3, 2010 at 11:04 AM.
Old Mar 3, 2010, 10:57 AM

Maybe you guys could think of it this way.

Take amd and intel. They make quad core (4 cores) processors. If a batch of processors has a defective core, then they can't call it a quad core. So what they do is, disable 1 or 2 of the cores to make turn the quad core processor into a dual core processor with the other 2 cores disabled, and then sell it.

Now think of this

Mitsubishi makes a great tc-sst in the evo MR, so what if they are giving you ralliart guys the tc-sst's that don't cut it on the evo mr?
Old Mar 3, 2010, 10:59 AM
Evolved Member

^ That's a wild speculation which I highly doubt is the case LOL. Nvidia also did the same thing when they came out with the Geforce 6800 series GPUs. Funny analogy though, but 99.99% unlikely.

Last edited by tipoytm; Mar 3, 2010 at 11:12 AM.
Old Mar 3, 2010, 11:12 AM

hey guys, this Thread IMO makes it sound like the RA is not worth getting unless you plan on keeping it Bone stock? I agree that all trannies have there strength and weaknesses but i drive a 4g Eclipse Gs with full bolt ons (Manual Tranny) and take it to the track 1-2 times a Month and have been for 3 years with 0 Signs of Tranny Problems, still shifts like a champ and im sure 95% of the guys on here will want to Mod there RA but if your going to spend say 30K on a car that u cant mod becasue your tranny will break makes someone like me who originally wanted the car look for another Project car... But thats just My Opinion...
Old Mar 3, 2010, 11:18 AM
Evolved Member

If I didn't have a ton of money and I was really into racing at the dragstrip or track... I'd just get a used inexpensive car and mod that to my heart's delight... but that's just me. Abusing a brand-new spanking car with a not-yet-race-proven hi-tech tranny is just inviting trouble (ie. likely going to leave a huge hole in my wallet)... then again, that's just me.
Old Mar 3, 2010, 11:18 AM
Evolved Member

Hey Dergoma, you're the guy by Okee right? I think I called you once from the Dealer and had you talk to my friend about a new Ralliart right? Yeah I think it's you :-p

IMO, if you want to modify your car and use it to drag/track race, then the Ralliart is NOT an option... don't even think about it, it's just not the drag/track car, it's a quick little grocery getter for mom and dad or the young one who has no idea how to fix a flat or how to open their car's hood, not the car for a young male who wants to experience racing or modding in any way or circumstance. That's my advice.

If you want a project car it has to be a GSR (if you want to buy Mitsubishi that is)... I also remember Mitsu stating the exact same thing to an Edmunds.com Technician back in 2008... funny thing is I completely missed that point back then lol

We gotta give Mitsubishi time to figure just wtf their TC-SST is so weak (... mind you SSP already figured it out and they have an upgrade package) and see if future TC-SST versions are worth the trouble

Last edited by jazket; Mar 3, 2010 at 11:21 AM.
Old Mar 3, 2010, 11:20 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by tipoytm
If I didn't have a ton of money and I was really into racing at the dragstrip or track... I'd just get a used car and mod that to my heart's delight... but that's just me. Abusing a brand-new spanking car with a not-yet-race-proven hi-tech tranny is just inviting trouble (ie. likely going to leave a huge hole in my wallet)... then again, that's just me.
I agree completely and that's why I bought a cheap, used car for racing.
Old Mar 3, 2010, 11:22 AM
Evolved Member

Mitsubishi knows why the TC-SST can't hold tons of power and it's the very thing that makes it a twin-clutch transmission, the twin-clutches. If you have two clutches instead of one, logically they have to be smaller to fit into the transmission housing. Smaller clutches means a lower ability to handle heat and lower power holding capabilities.
Old Mar 3, 2010, 11:23 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ambystom01
I agree completely and that's why I bought a cheap, used car for racing.
Completely agree too, but I'm still pissed because something is telling me Mitsubishi cut corners on the TC-SST... and crap like that comes out to light soon or later... look at Toyota, their *** is burning rite now
Old Mar 3, 2010, 11:25 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ambystom01
If you have two clutches instead of one, logically they have to be smaller to fit into the transmission housing. Smaller clutches means a lower ability to handle heat and lower power holding capabilities.
that's not the case on the R35's twin-clutch... although it's pointless to bring that up, seeing as how the GT-R is 4 times the price of a Ralliart, hence the stronger/better TC Transmission
Old Mar 3, 2010, 11:26 AM
Evolved Member

The SST is not exactly weak, but in stock form... it isn't also designed to take repeated abuse and gobbs of modified power. If you want it to hold 300+ HP, expect to SPEND... don't just leave it in stock form, mod it... use a reputable company that also provide aftermarket "race" warranty that covers the transmission even if you regularly bring it to the track/dragstrip.

YOU GOTTA PAY TO PLAY... seriously, it's common sense.

Quick Reply: TC-SST Failure. Imporant!