Notices

TC-SST Failure. Imporant!

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3, 2010, 11:27 AM
Evolved Member

Received 75 Likes on 68 Posts
The R35 had it's own issues, there's a reason why they revised the launch control system after a year.
Old Mar 3, 2010, 11:31 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ambystom01
The R35 had it's own issues, there's a reason why they revised the launch control system after a year.
Not to mention a new GTR trans costs more than a used ralliart.... Two things come to mind; You get what you pay for and you pay to play.
Old Mar 3, 2010, 11:36 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by jazket
I'm still pissed because something is telling me Mitsubishi cut corners on the TC-SST... and crap like that comes out to light soon or later... look at Toyota, their *** is burning rite now
You got what you paid for. Still, the RA is one hell of a bargain and a lot of car for the money (considering how expensive the transmission is alone). Mitsubishi can easily make a car that can hold 400hp with the same tranny, but they will have to spend a ton more to design/produce the SST to hold that much power. It might cost them $10K more, question is... would you be willing to spend that much?

Toyota is an entirely different story... they definitely cut corners cuz none of those cars that failed were raced/abused/modified.

Last edited by tipoytm; Mar 3, 2010 at 11:40 AM.
Old Mar 3, 2010, 11:52 AM
Evolved Member

..........remember guys..........

mitsu did not design / build our trans.

............it is built by getrag. getrag also builds the trans for the gt-r.
Old Mar 3, 2010, 11:57 AM
Evolved Member

Yeah, most of us here know the tranny came from Getrag... I don't usually get into details when posting though :-) Regardless, if Mitsu orders a stouter SST, no doubt it will cost them a ton more, thereby bumping up the RA's (and X MR's) price to a whole new level... which doesn't go well with their "bang-for-the-buck" selling point.

Last edited by tipoytm; Mar 3, 2010 at 12:00 PM.
Old Mar 3, 2010, 11:59 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 07outty
..........remember guys..........

mitsu did not design / build our trans.

............it is built by getrag. getrag also builds the trans for the gt-r.
Exactly.... but I have to agree with tipoytm on this one, the mere fact our car is 1/4 the price of a GT-R also shows that our tranny would be 1/4 as good... Nissan paid GETRAG for what they wanted, so did Mitsu... In the end, the TC is weak and cheap compared to the GT-R's
Old Mar 3, 2010, 12:29 PM
Evolving Member

Jazket, if you don't mind me asking, what were/are your dyno numbers?
Old Mar 3, 2010, 12:33 PM

Hey Dergoma, you're the guy by Okee right? I think I called you once from the Dealer and had you talk to my friend about a new Ralliart right? Yeah I think it's you :-p

IMO, if you want to modify your car and use it to drag/track race, then the Ralliart is NOT an option... don't even think about it, it's just not the drag/track car, it's a quick little grocery getter for mom and dad or the young one who has no idea how to fix a flat or how to open their car's hood, not the car for a young male who wants to experience racing or modding in any way or circumstance. That's my advice.

If you want a project car it has to be a GSR (if you want to buy Mitsubishi that is)... I also remember Mitsu stating the exact same thing to an Edmunds.com Technician back in 2008... funny thing is I completely missed that point back then lol

We gotta give Mitsubishi time to figure just wtf their TC-SST is so weak (... mind you SSP already figured it out and they have an upgrade package) and see if future TC-SST versions are worth the trouble

Yes, thats me, i spoke to him but i was getting rear ended every which way on my car. but i told him that as soon as i get enough $$ for the negative equity i would see him again. but now after reading this, im concerned that this might not be the car for me, i want a DD that is also a weekend warrior. i just never figured that i would see a car that you COULDNT Mod, i mean i understand what amby is saying but Cmon, all cars should have leeway before they cave in and this particular cars seems to cave in even with no mods. I Dont know, maybe waiting a few more months might prove benificial.
Old Mar 3, 2010, 12:51 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by akj237
Jazket, if you don't mind me asking, what were/are your dyno numbers?
242hp/258lbstq to the wheels with the AMS Flash and Boost Pill.

I haven't dyno'd the car after I got the extra mods such as HKS Downpipe, HKS Filter, Evo X Intercooler & AMS upper pipe, but I assume 10 more horses the most

Just figure that out: an MR comes with pretty much the same power I had on my modded/tuned Ralliart... and their tranny seems to handle more stress... reason why I still think the RA trannies either had a factory issue or are cheaper/weaker then the MR ones

But like I said, I'm really not concerned about my tranny, but about my friend's tranny which never saw a brake-boost launch or a drag race.... and concerned about the few users who've had messed up trannies with NO mods at all... and that Mitsu does NOT fix the dam tranny even if you feel like paying for it

Last edited by jazket; Mar 3, 2010 at 12:55 PM.
Old Mar 3, 2010, 01:13 PM
Evolved Member

^ So wait, you are saying he doesn't race his RA at all, never abuse, drive hard regularly, launch, or anything like that... still his tranny gave out?

Either he just got unlucky with a lemon or maybe he didn't tell you the whole story. That's a shame, cuz I was in love with the RA (particurly the SST) when I test drove it last year. If the tranny is that weak, then we made the right choice of buying a minivan... at that time, I was really wishing my wife wanted the RA too lol (it was her decision to make).

Last edited by tipoytm; Mar 3, 2010 at 01:17 PM.
Old Mar 3, 2010, 01:24 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by tipoytm
^ So wait, you are saying he doesn't race his RA at all, never abuse, drive hard regularly, launch, or anything like that... still his tranny gave out?

Either he just got unlucky with a lemon or maybe he didn't tell you the whole story. That's a shame, cuz I was in love with the RA (particurly the SST) when I test drove it last year. If the tranny is that weak, then we made the right choice of buying a minivan... at that time, I was really wishing my wife wanted the RA too lol (it was her decision to make).
Is it ever a right choice when the choice is a mini-van? Just kidding!!!
Old Mar 3, 2010, 01:28 PM
Evolved Member

^ I trust this guy, I even told him he had to tell me the truth that way I could talk to our insider at Mitsu-local cause I too tell him the truth and he helps me out by figuring out ways to BS his Superiors

He did test his newly acquired powers after the tune, but it was merely illegal street racing a few other cars certain times... but mainly he's been very conservative regarding the Tranny, ever since we had Alex (username hernandez) come up with his messed up stock TC-SST on a car he never modded... I think Alex's car had about 10,000 miles or less?

It was only after a month that Mitsu took care of him by replacing the twinclutch
So now the story has gone from him never driving aggressively to him only illegally street racing a few times, I suspect he's holding back.
Old Mar 3, 2010, 01:38 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by akj237
Is it ever a right choice when the choice is a mini-van? Just kidding!!!
IT IS ALWAYS the right choice to buy a mini-van... I realize that now Frankly, I look forward doing look trips with our Routan than riding in my X. Leather seats <check>, awesome AC <check>, DVD entertainment system <check>, COMFORT <check>, room for 7 passengers <check>, room for hauling a loveseat or dining table <check>... (list goes on and on) LOL

Now back to main topic, hmmmm.... illegal street racing... that pretty much tells me how the guy treats his car I treat my X like how Arnie treats Christine in that John Carpenter flic

Last edited by tipoytm; Mar 3, 2010 at 01:47 PM.
Old Mar 3, 2010, 01:45 PM
Evolved Member

I've never participated in an ILLEGAL street race before

but... "SEMI-LEGAL" <check>

Last edited by tipoytm; Mar 3, 2010 at 01:54 PM.
Old Mar 3, 2010, 02:02 PM
Evolved Member

LOL about the mini-van

but hey regarding illegal street racing.... you know what I mean, like when you get "tried" on the streets by a jerk on another performance-oriented car?

I think we are ALL here guilty of one or two street races.... am I right?
I want 2 see ONE single person who's never done that... I'll be the first to call them LIAR!
I've never done it, when I had my Lancer, it was too slow to race anything and I don't drive my WRX that fast on the street, I'm usually within 10 km/h of the speed limit.

Quick Reply: TC-SST Failure. Imporant!