Notices

TC-SST Failure. Imporant!

Search this Thread

Old Mar 4, 2010, 09:39 PM
Account Disabled

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tipoytm
And if you don't have the money to "pay to play"... don't buy an RA just to race/drag it lol... but a used car with a manual transmission. The RA is NOT a race/drag car (at least in stock form).

stupid stupid stupid, our tranny shifts alot faster then the gsr can be shifted.

sure the gsr has more reasons, like launch control and s s mode, but if you dont have the money, the tranny doesnt limit us at the track in a modded form.
Old Mar 4, 2010, 09:47 PM
Evolved Member

Received 75 Likes on 68 Posts
How is it stupid? If you're a serious track ****, there are many reasons why the GSR is a better option. It comes with more power and kit stock, which can help with classing, it has superior brakes, superior drivetrain, superior aero, etc. Even the MR would not be a good, dedicated track car because it's temperamental. I solo1ed with a guy who drove an MR and it drove him nuts from time to time. He could only do a limited number of hot laps before the ECU cut power and that was after he did some DIY cooling assists. He also reported shifting issues, which apparently are not uncommon. I don't see any reason why someone serious about track racing would even consider the Ralliart or MR, that is assuming they are serious of course.
Edit: Oh and the MR driver I'm talking sadly crashed his car on the last track day. Supposedly there was an issue with the car's ABS essentially not allowing him to brake or something to that extent. I was not at the track when it happened so the only info I have is 3rd party.

Last edited by ambystom01; Mar 4, 2010 at 09:49 PM.
Old Mar 4, 2010, 09:53 PM
Account Disabled

that car is at platinum right now.

im buying the mr wheels, and navi off it.

someone also bought the brakes for their RA as i posted in another thread, and my buddy is buying the ur catback he had on it.

messed it up pretty bad. I wanted the seats but the passenger seat blew.

I was told he had issues with hitting grass on a turn and losing control, but the abs could have been the cause of that for sure
Old Mar 4, 2010, 09:57 PM
Evolved Member

Yeah supposedly the airbags blew, he hit the wall head on at around 50 kph or so, at least that's what I've heard from a few people. It was 8 or 9 (I always get the numbers confused), the uphill corner at the parking lot end of the track, right by the marshal station.
Old Mar 4, 2010, 09:59 PM
Account Disabled

yeah all the airbags went. outside of the driver side seat, and a pillar that i saw.
Old Mar 5, 2010, 12:59 AM
Evolving Member

hey about the warranty if im not modding it, does modding headlight, adding oil,boost,exhaust gauges, will that void the warranty?
Old Mar 5, 2010, 08:15 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by bacquerel
hey about the warranty if im not modding it, does modding headlight, adding oil,boost,exhaust gauges, will that void the warranty?
Any part you install has the potential to "void" the warranty on any systems affected by the part you install. This means if you install a boost gauge and end up shorting out your electrical system, chances are they won't cover the repairs under warranty if they can prove that the boost gauge you installed caused the failure.

That said, those things you installed should not affect the transmission, so you should be okay still.

-Taranis
Old Mar 5, 2010, 08:37 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by secondchace
stupid stupid stupid, our tranny shifts alot faster then the gsr can be shifted.

sure the gsr has more reasons, like launch control and s s mode, but if you dont have the money, the tranny doesnt limit us at the track in a modded form.
You entirely missed my point (geez, you need better reading comprehension). I NEVER said the TC-SST is an inferior transmission... because it is quite the contrary. It shifts faster than a human being, period. The downside is it has it's power limitations (in stock form) and it can break if constantly pushed really hard or raced (repeat, in stock form). It is not an engineering flaw, it's just because it's built that way, given you are buying a $25K car (base)... you are not buying a $90K GT-R. What do you expect??

Still, for a $25K car, you get this technology and I think it's amazing (yes, I test drove one and I was so impressed). No one should expect Mitsubishi to put in a $20K GT-R transmission in a $25K car (I read somewhere the SST replacement alone is $6K USD, no labor/install yet), that wouldn't make any business sense.

Now, if you are buying an RA just to bring it to the drag-strip, abuse/flog the car constantly, and you don't mod the transmission properly because you are stretched to the limit (insurance, monthly car payments, maintenance, gas)... then your SST is a ticking time-bomb, and you clearly took the wrong path.

Last edited by tipoytm; Mar 5, 2010 at 08:51 AM.
Old Mar 5, 2010, 08:39 AM

Originally Posted by CaSilvia
My bone stock RA just got the tranny replaced. Problems existed since i bought it. While in 5th gear decelerating a very obvious vibration started from 90kph-80kph, then stop, then from 70kph-60kph it would start again.

Tranny was finally replaced 4months after the dealerships 4th diagnosis. My car is booked in tomorrow for yet another technician ride along. Problem still exists, its just more subtle now.
My car still has a very noticiable shake while decelerating from 70-60km. I took the tech for a drive he confirmed it. Then we took a brand new RA with 464km on the clock for a drive. Same thing, just at 90-80km.

Apparently this shake is normal/acceptable. Im not all that happy because its a huge **** off for a new car to have this issue. Furthermore to have the tech say "sorry man it seems like just a driveline vibration" which they deem acceptable.
Old Mar 5, 2010, 08:50 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by CaSilvia
My car still has a very noticiable shake while decelerating from 70-60km. I took the tech for a drive he confirmed it. Then we took a brand new RA with 464km on the clock for a drive. Same thing, just at 90-80km.

Apparently this shake is normal/acceptable. Im not all that happy because its a huge **** off for a new car to have this issue. Furthermore to have the tech say "sorry man it seems like just a driveline vibration" which they deem acceptable.
At least he didn't try to say it was a feature.

-Taranis
Old Mar 5, 2010, 08:57 AM
Evolved Member

"We call that vibrator mode, it's a new feature designed to lure in female buyers and to keep female passengers happy."
Old Mar 5, 2010, 08:57 AM

I actually chuckled a bit when he said it. He was honestly very sincere.

I challenge any other RA owner to check this out, see if you have a vibration too. 5th Gear manual mode decelerationg from 90km down. A downward incline seems to make it more noticable too.
Old Mar 5, 2010, 09:41 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by rallifreek
13000km not one problem with it. I dont race/drag but i do some times step on it. I have a CP-e cat back and cobb stage 1 93 oct. nice sound and power out of it ( thanks COBB) and more to come. But when it comes to the trans tc sst i do know they have a tendency to heat up more then normal the oil cooler that it has is no good its a joke. the tc sst for ralliart 09 is $12450 here in canada i talked to the guys in dealership gave them my vin. All this talkin that trans. is goin and slipping not one of u was saying that u heard gears breaking or crunching or anything goin boom in it just that it slips, now as much as i know from post here when u go over 290tq its bound to slip after few month. TCU is not cracked yeath it will be soon im sure but i know when it comes to programing u can always limit the user on how much of a program he can use for ex MR add power to it and no prob no slip but add power to ralliart and thats at 290tq and u have problems ( and this 290tq i dont think anyone even know the actual number cause no one here talked to Getrag about it as much as i know) could it be that they put in software safety limiter because it is ralliart and it cant be better then MR ( same power for less $$$$$) its posible cause u can do that. So guys/girls please wait for the TCU to be cracked and then go from there all this talkin back is a waist of time. Any trans that was made by man was able to be fixed at home in your garage i am sure next year there will be parts to fix them. So if u scared to mod then wait if not go hard and c what happens but dont blame mitsy for it cause they are not the only ones that kill the warrenty if moded Jeep does the same i know from experiance.

Remember everything is fixable u just need $$

Peple are right if u want to play u have to pay
Im sorry i laughed out loud when i read this one, and im at work with my OIC next to me. The MR and the Ralliart transmission FUED!!! Except the major difference between the RA and MR is the Gear ration and ever other freaking thing but the clutch. Im going to dig deeper after work to verify but that "MORE MONEY" you say is from everything else...

ex.. Turbo system, that is bigger than ours. Aluminum frame, gear ration, SSS, different frame.

I think that in turn is why its more money...
Old Mar 5, 2010, 09:46 AM
EvoM Community Team

Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
Aluminum frame??? Anyways, I wouldn't doubt the clutches were different between the two. Easier to swap out than anything else to change the "end performance" of the transmission than anything else. Then again, no one has split the two and did side by side comparisons.
Old Mar 5, 2010, 09:59 AM

The EVO tranny and RA tranny is different. Part #'s are different, clutches are different.

The interesting question is whether or not an EVO tranny will line up w/o modification. Easy fix for us RA guys and our weaker clutches

Quick Reply: TC-SST Failure. Imporant!