Notices

TC-SST Failure. Imporant!

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2, 2010, 07:39 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TC-SST Failure. Imporant!

Hey Mates

So here we're at another TC-SST Failure episode.

This time it happened to a friend of mine at 19,000 miles. Mods are simple:

AMS Intercooler Kit,
HKS Dowpipe, HKS Center Pipe
Evo IX Blow-off Valve, Boost Pill & Reflash

Simple, around 265whp is all the car was putting. Never stressed, he barely ran the car (I took my car to the drag-strip about 6 times and always tried to invite him and he NEVER went, in fear of messing his Twin-Clutch).

Now Mitsu-locals are trying to be smatasses saying the Intercooler has to do with it. Thankfully we have someone inside that takes care of us and he's going to have a Factory Tech come and check out the car but told us to put the car back to Stock otherwise there's a chance this Factory Technician could void his warranty for good.

Now, here's the issue:

Remember my thread about my RA feeling slower, almost like a FWD whatever...? Well, I got new tires and the car is gripping as hard as before again, and running almost as hard... but if I drop the hammer too early I feel 2nd and 4th slip. So yes, my tranny is also on it's way to oblivion.

So far I know two local Floridians (Miami) who've been through the same situation (username "hernandez" the one with the first issue here and a stock Rally Red with only a drop, and now my friend, username "dr1fter" here as well and his Tarmac Black).

I'm about to become the third person I know with this issue, but I've seen countless users come up with the tranny issue here already. So I'd like for those of you who have been through the whole tranny issue to PLEASE, please, post it and post whatever the outcome, whether you got it replaced or they didn't honor your warranty.

I'll start counting how many of you have had this issue once you start posting, and if enough of us file a complaint to NHTSA, we should get noticed.

Also, we've already filed a complaint at the ODI of NHTSA, and I think those who've had the same problem should file a complaint too. This is a Factory Issue and Mitsubishi NEEDS to have a Recall on this, regardless of how much money it'll cost them to get the dam transmission replaced. Because the truth is, ALL TC-SST on the Ralliarts are prone to failure sooner or later, and the average mileage seems to be at/around 20,000. Not a single Ralliart owner is safe from the TC-SST Curse, and I really suggest we ALL report this as soon as possible.

What's going to happen when your 36,000 miles Drivetrain Warranty runs out and you start having Transmission Issues, with no Transmission Technicians available to work on the TC-SST?

Think about it.

Later, Jaz.

NHTSA Defects & Recalls: File a Safety Complaint

PS: Still like your cars Mitsu but, damn your TC-SST and your poor Customer Service

Last edited by jazket; Mar 2, 2010 at 08:00 AM. Reason: Can't edit the Title..... It says Imporant, haha!
Old Mar 2, 2010, 07:47 AM
Evolved Member

Question though....the ralliarts that have failed...they've all been modified at some point though right?
Though I think there is probably a problem somewhere, I don't think you'll have luck if stock cars are not having transmission problems
Old Mar 2, 2010, 07:49 AM
Evolved Member

That's the issue... First man down was COMPLETELY stock :-S
Old Mar 2, 2010, 07:49 AM
Evolving Member

Thanks for the post. Keep us updated on you and your friend's situation. This is not what I wanted to hear about this tranny. Especially after I just sunk another grand in this thing for leather. I'm almost at 14,000 miles and this kind of has me worried. Anyone with the Evo MR having issues as well?
Old Mar 2, 2010, 07:53 AM

Great post...I was actually thinking of getting rid of both my rides to pick up a Evo MR but i'll do some more research on this transmission.

Keep us updated.
Old Mar 2, 2010, 08:02 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by yobless
Great post...I was actually thinking of getting rid of both my rides to pick up a Evo MR but i'll do some more research on this transmission.

Keep us updated.

You'll be bitten by the Speed Bug and then you'll be stranded cause you can't mod the MR like the GSR, and then Tranny issues will start to show up... go for a GSR, I should have done the same
Old Mar 2, 2010, 08:17 AM
Evolved Member

Surprised the guy advised you to put it back to stock. Once they've seen it modified, putting it back doesn't really help if they were smart enough to take pictures as they are instructed in most cases. =/

-Taranis
Old Mar 2, 2010, 09:34 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by jazket
That's the issue... First man down was COMPLETELY stock :-S
Ouch
Old Mar 2, 2010, 09:57 AM
Evolving Member

this dissapoints me and just scares me even more for modding the engine..
Old Mar 2, 2010, 09:59 AM
Evolving Member

I thought the powertrain warrenty is 60k miles?
Old Mar 2, 2010, 10:01 AM
Evolving Member

has anyone found out y only the ralliart is having problems with the tranny and seems thought the MR has no issues and their tranny can hold more power?
Old Mar 2, 2010, 10:07 AM

My bone stock RA just got the tranny replaced. Problems existed since i bought it. While in 5th gear decelerating a very obvious vibration started from 90kph-80kph, then stop, then from 70kph-60kph it would start again.

Tranny was finally replaced 4months after the dealerships 4th diagnosis. My car is booked in tomorrow for yet another technician ride along. Problem still exists, its just more subtle now.
Old Mar 2, 2010, 10:37 AM
Evolving Member

Hmmm...
I really wonder why I always get bashed when I say these cars are money pits, and to get rid of them before the warranty runs out.

The TC-SST issues just keep piling up!
(among other things)
Old Mar 2, 2010, 10:40 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well, crap.... guess when the transmission starts slipping... time to trade it in!
Old Mar 2, 2010, 10:47 AM
Evolving Member

You can't trade these cars in unless you want to lose TONS of money. They are worth about 50%-60% of what you paid for it (in less than a year). I've been dealing with dealerships for the past couple weeks. I can't afford to trade the damn thing in. Hopefully around the 2 year 10 month mark I'll be in a better situation to do a trade.

Quick Reply: TC-SST Failure. Imporant!