Notices

Transmission hickups

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3, 2010, 06:31 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Transmission hickups

I was wondering if everyone here has the same problem on WOT, after reading posts about the TC-SST failure thread.

When I had the car(car's in the shop right now, almost done), I would be cruising at about 40 mph in 5-6th gear and decide to go WOT in auto mode. It drops into 2nd gear right away and the car starts to pull right away, then when it tries to shift into 3rd, the car bucks really hard and takes a good 1 to 2 seconds(feels like forever) to shift into 3rd. Then after that it's fine.
It felt like something really went wrong so I didn't go WOT for a while. Then I tried it again on another day and did the same thing. I think it only happens when I'm cruising and I decide to go WOT, on partial throttle it seems fine.
Also this happened before I installed any of the mods. So it was bone stock. And I don't abuse the tranny or go WOT all the time. Most of the time I'm just cruising in auto mode to save gas lol.

I searched online and read about clutch slips and seems like my car isn't slipping.

[Quote somewhere]"When a clutch starts to slip, the slippage will be most noticeable when the engine is under load, as when lugging at low speed in a high gear, when driving up a hill, when accelerating to pass another vehicle or when towing a trailer. The more the clutch slips, the hotter it gets and the more it wears. This accelerates the problem even more and may result in additional damage to the flywheel and pressure plate."[Quote]

To clear things up.. Whats happening to my car when it bucks like that? It can't be good for the car I'm assuming.. Sorry if this is a noob question..
Old Mar 3, 2010, 06:46 PM
Evolved Member

Are you in Normal or Sport mode when this happens?
Old Mar 3, 2010, 06:48 PM
Evolved Member

The one time I do remember for sure was in Sport mode
Old Mar 3, 2010, 08:02 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
[quote=Skym;8056156]I was wondering if everyone here has the same problem on WOT, after reading posts about the TC-SST failure thread.

When I had the car(car's in the shop right now, almost done), I would be cruising at about 40 mph in 5-6th gear and decide to go WOT in auto mode. It drops into 2nd gear right away and the car starts to pull right away, then when it tries to shift into 3rd, the car bucks really hard and takes a good 1 to 2 seconds(feels like forever) to shift into 3rd. Then after that it's fine.
It felt like something really went wrong so I didn't go WOT for a while. Then I tried it again on another day and did the same thing. I think it only happens when I'm cruising and I decide to go WOT, on partial throttle it seems fine.
Also this happened before I installed any of the mods. So it was bone stock. And I don't abuse the tranny or go WOT all the time. Most of the time I'm just cruising in auto mode to save gas lol.

I searched online and read about clutch slips and seems like my car isn't slipping.

[Quote somewhere]"When a clutch starts to slip, the slippage will be most noticeable when the engine is under load, as when lugging at low speed in a high gear, when driving up a hill, when accelerating to pass another vehicle or when towing a trailer. The more the clutch slips, the hotter it gets and the more it wears. This accelerates the problem even more and may result in additional damage to the flywheel and pressure plate."

To clear things up.. Whats happening to my car when it bucks like that? It can't be good for the car I'm assuming.. Sorry if this is a noob question..
When you say the car was "bone stock", do you also mean before you flashed over to the GST basemap? I had the "bucking" problem with the GST basemap too, until I switched over to the cold weather version which runs less boost.
Old Mar 3, 2010, 08:32 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Slee256
When you say the car was "bone stock", do you also mean before you flashed over to the GST basemap? I had the "bucking" problem with the GST basemap too, until I switched over to the cold weather version which runs less boost.
I meant no modding at all. So it was before I switched over to the GST basemap. I guess this isn't a common issue...
Old Mar 3, 2010, 10:17 PM

when im goin 40, and i floor it, mine doesnt shift all the way to 2nd, mine only drops to 3rd.

However, i noticed a similar problem when i floor it around slow turns and it shifts down to first, it does take a second or two.

im not an expert at all whatsoever, but i noticed consistently that this only happens when it shifts too low and the rpms start at like 5000 or 5500, and then it has to shift right away again.

i wouldnt think its a clutch problem or anything, and i also dont think its a problem with your tranny, but like i said, not an expert lol

P.S. Im also bone stock

Last edited by Powerslide; Mar 3, 2010 at 10:21 PM.
Old Mar 3, 2010, 10:32 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Powerslide
when im goin 40, and i floor it, mine doesnt shift all the way to 2nd, mine only drops to 3rd.

However, i noticed a similar problem when i floor it around slow turns and it shifts down to first, it does take a second or two.

im not an expert at all whatsoever, but i noticed consistently that this only happens when it shifts too low and the rpms start at like 5000 or 5500, and then it has to shift right away again.

i wouldnt think its a clutch problem or anything, and i also dont think its a problem with your tranny, but like i said, not an expert lol

P.S. Im also bone stock
Hm... You're the one with a brand new tranny right??
Maybe you're right about dropping to 3rd. But none the less, the bucking happens when it tries to shift to 4th... But I do remember the tranny dropping the gear into 2nd or 3rd and the rpm was at around 4K when it dropped into gear.

So if it's not a clutch problem or the tranny... what is it?? Can anyone explain?
Old Mar 3, 2010, 10:39 PM

Originally Posted by Skym
Hm... You're the one with a brand new tranny right??
Maybe you're right about dropping to 3rd. But none the less, the bucking happens when it tries to shift to 4th... But I do remember the tranny dropping the gear into 2nd or 3rd and the rpm was at around 4K when it dropped into gear.

So if it's not a clutch problem or the tranny... what is it?? Can anyone explain?

Well, i got it about 7 months ago, and since then i have put about 6500 miles on it, so not brand new anymore
Old Mar 3, 2010, 10:43 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Powerslide
Well, i got it about 7 months ago, and since then i have put about 6500 miles on it, so not brand new anymore
I've had mine for about 2 months and I have about 5000 miles on it lol Anyways, Hopefully it's not a big problem...
Old Mar 3, 2010, 10:49 PM

i hope its not either, unfortunately this has happened to me more than a few times, and i didnt think anything of it, but now im scared lol.

Anyone else have any idea?
Old Mar 4, 2010, 12:55 AM
Evolving Member

I only had this problem with the GST base flash as well, 24 hours later my TTP flash was back in and running perfectly.
Old Mar 4, 2010, 04:25 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by RotorGlow
I only had this problem with the GST base flash as well, 24 hours later my TTP flash was back in and running perfectly.
I agree with RotorGlow's post. If it's not too much trouble for you, try flashing to the GST basemap cold weather version for 93 octane with boost pill and see if the problem clears up. My car stopped bucking when shifting from 3rd to 4th gear after I did that.
Old Mar 4, 2010, 04:38 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Slee256
I agree with RotorGlow's post. If it's not too much trouble for you, try flashing to the GST basemap cold weather version for 93 octane with boost pill and see if the problem clears up. My car stopped bucking when shifting from 3rd to 4th gear after I did that.
Well it shouldn't be happening to a stock car... Both of our cars were at stock form when this happened... GST basemap for 93 with boost pill was installed just couple days before I had my accident so I didn't notice any bucking but I didn't push the car that much... I'll try to recreate the issue when I get my car back

Last edited by Skym; Mar 4, 2010 at 04:41 AM.
Old Mar 4, 2010, 06:25 AM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by RotorGlow
Good to hear. We have spend countless dyno tuning hours developing our Ralliart reflashes to insure they are safe for the engine and SST transmission.
Old Mar 4, 2010, 10:07 AM
Account Disabled

The OP states this happens with his 100% stock Ralliart, no flash (GST or other)

Originally Posted by Skym
I meant no modding at all. So it was before I switched over to the GST basemap. I guess this isn't a common issue...
Some people need to read a little closer.

Feedback on the 100% free GST basemaps would be better served by posting in the 100% free GST Basemap thread so that the 100% free GST basemaps can be improved upon even more.

- Bryan