Notices

Can the Dealer Detect an ECU Re-Map?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 4, 2010, 09:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can the Dealer Detect an ECU Re-Map?

I just got a 2010 Ralliart and love this car, but I know in the future I will want a bit more out of the engine. I don’t really want to change any of the stock parts but was thinking I could get an ECU tune.

I searched around and can not seem to find any information related to the dealer being able to detect an ECU re-map, or if the dealer can detect if your car used to have a tune, but was returned to stock. I read something about after 50 ignition cycles the history would be erased but I did not see any type of confirmation on that.

Anyone know if the dealer can see the history of flashing going to the ECU?

I was considering the AMS base flash or the AccessPort.

Thanks in advance for any help you can give me.
Old Mar 4, 2010, 09:24 AM
Evolving Member

Yes, they can if they really want to.
Old Mar 4, 2010, 09:24 AM
Evolved Member

Hum.... If you have an issue (like transmission slipping) they will "assume" it's due to an ECU reflash and WILL turn it back to stock.

It happened to my friend the other day... That's how they tried to "fix" his transmission problem.

And I thought the Dealer wouldn't be able to do something like that!
Old Mar 4, 2010, 10:26 AM

I have seen posts on other forums that seem to indicate that our "overlords" cannot detect an AccessPort flash. Maybe Cobb can confirm?
Old Mar 4, 2010, 10:32 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by jazket
Hum.... If you have an issue (like transmission slipping) they will "assume" it's due to an ECU reflash and WILL turn it back to stock.

It happened to my friend the other day... That's how they tried to "fix" his transmission problem.

And I thought the Dealer wouldn't be able to do something like that!
Why wouldn't they be able to reflash the ECU? I'm thinking they must have a stock map for the ECU??
Old Mar 4, 2010, 10:36 AM

Thanks for all your help. Is there an active Cobb tuning rep on this forum site that may be able to answer this question?
Old Mar 4, 2010, 11:07 AM
Evolved Member

I believe the dealer can detect a different flash on the ECU, but most dealers don't have the equipment to see how many times the ECU has been flashed.

So, if you can flash back to stock before having warranty work done, do it.
Old Mar 4, 2010, 12:40 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Skym
Why wouldn't they be able to reflash the ECU? I'm thinking they must have a stock map for the ECU??
Yeah but Mitsu techs are dumb as hell

scratch that... Mitsu Sales rep are dumb as hell!
Old Mar 4, 2010, 12:43 PM
Account Disabled

you got the hate on for mitsu all of a sudden, maybe its time to buy a honda and relax jazket
Old Mar 4, 2010, 01:08 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by secondchace
you got the hate on for mitsu all of a sudden, maybe its time to buy a honda and relax jazket
lol
Old Mar 4, 2010, 01:47 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by secondchace
Yeah it's a temporary hate
Old Mar 4, 2010, 03:22 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ck1109
I have seen posts on other forums that seem to indicate that our "overlords" cannot detect an AccessPort flash. Maybe Cobb can confirm?
Cobb themselves are the only people I know of who have made that claim, but some of the other tuners seem to have their doubts about the veracity of those claims.
Old Mar 4, 2010, 03:29 PM
Evolving Member

I bought my COBB from my dealer so even if I did reflash to stock my plausabile deniability is shot to hell.
Old Mar 4, 2010, 04:04 PM
Evolving Member

I should just stick to my bikes I guess. I could mod to hell and back all the suzuki's, yamaha's, and kawasaki's I've had in my life and never had to worry about all this crap about modding. That and they are a hell of a lot faster. I love my Ralliart but this crap of having to worry if I change the exhaust, fuel map/ tune, air filter is getting old.
Old Mar 4, 2010, 04:35 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by akj237
I should just stick to my bikes I guess. I could mod to hell and back all the suzuki's, yamaha's, and kawasaki's I've had in my life and never had to worry about all this crap about modding. That and they are a hell of a lot faster. I love my Ralliart but this crap of having to worry if I change the exhaust, fuel map/ tune, air filter is getting old.
I made life easy for myself and now have the best of both worlds. With just a boost pill, UICP, a dyno-tune, and a rear axle back exhaust I'm making lots more power than stock as you can see by my signature. However, when it's time to go into the dealership for recalls or warranty work, all I have to do is spend about 20 minutes switching back to the stock boost pill and reflashing to the factory tune using my Tactrix cable. At that point I'm ready to head over to the dealership without any cause for concern that I'll void my warranty!

Quick Reply: Can the Dealer Detect an ECU Re-Map?