Notices

Upgrading to bigger TURBO

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14, 2010, 10:33 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Upgrading to bigger TURBO

I've noticed that everyone is going with the Evo X turbo when they are doing their upgrade. I'm looking at the FP Red myself, but I'm wondering why no one is choosing this. Is it too much power for our transmission to handle? Or is everyone just doing a budget build (which is what I'm kinda trying to do)?
Old Mar 14, 2010, 11:09 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
For me, the spool of the red is not attractive, and I think with a proper tune and supporting mods the X turbo is capable of 350 whp which is enough for me. I have considered a green or Dom2 though
Old Mar 14, 2010, 11:31 AM
Account Disabled

the tranny on the ams ralliart started to slip after a few months with the fp red. For me, 300-300 is what i want and the spool of the x turbo factored in with it easily making 300-300 is why i purchased it.
Old Mar 14, 2010, 11:49 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Oh TCU.....when will you be understood?
Old Mar 14, 2010, 12:10 PM
Evolving Member

I'm aiming for about 320-330AWHP, which I figure to be safe on this transmission.
Old Mar 14, 2010, 12:12 PM
Account Disabled

then there is no need to buy the fp red.
Old Mar 14, 2010, 12:16 PM
Evolving Member

Well then, I will save my extra $400 and spend it on some other goodies!

You went to Lightspeed for your tuning, didnt you? They do pretty good work for Ralliarts?
Old Mar 14, 2010, 12:35 PM
Account Disabled

yes i did, and yeah Cam is a really good guy and does a good job with our cars. Im not 100% sure if i will use him for my evo x tune or not. It will depend on pricing. Ams is 599$ so if Cam is more then i might choose Ams.
Old Mar 14, 2010, 12:52 PM
Evolving Member

I guess AMS (or TTP or Jestr etc.) wouldn't really have a problem emailing a tune. After all they would pretty much just give us an Evo flash.
Old Mar 14, 2010, 06:36 PM

I have most of the parts for the evo x turbo swap if anyone is interested. I heard ams figured some way to mess with the tranny through the ecu.
Old Mar 14, 2010, 07:51 PM
Evolving Member

y doesnt anyone use the FPGREEN since i heard its smaller then the FPRED but a little bigger then evox..if i had the money i would look into that.
Old Mar 14, 2010, 08:23 PM
Evolved Member

Received 75 Likes on 68 Posts
Originally Posted by RotorGlow
Well then, I will save my extra $400 and spend it on some other goodies!

You went to Lightspeed for your tuning, didnt you? They do pretty good work for Ralliarts?
Personally I would stay away from Lightspeed. Cam is a good guy and I would have no problem buying from him but quite a few local Subaru people have had issues with Lightspeed, not customer service issues but technical quality issues. A local Evo owner also had to essentially build his own map using advice from Evom members after he noticed some issues with his Lightspeed tune coupled with his larger turbo (an FPred I believe). If you're willing to put in the time, with the help of some of the tuning gurus here, you can do a better job on your own.
An FPred seems too big for the RA, the Evo X turbo honestly seems like the best possible turbo upgrade for the RA.
Old Mar 14, 2010, 08:31 PM

Custom tuned is best because the tuners can squeeze every drop of power out of the car. But if there's no tuner around your area, I would choose ams mail in tune
Old Mar 14, 2010, 10:22 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by ambystom01
Personally I would stay away from Lightspeed. Cam is a good guy and I would have no problem buying from him but quite a few local Subaru people have had issues with Lightspeed, not customer service issues but technical quality issues. A local Evo owner also had to essentially build his own map using advice from Evom members after he noticed some issues with his Lightspeed tune coupled with his larger turbo (an FPred I believe). If you're willing to put in the time, with the help of some of the tuning gurus here, you can do a better job on your own.
An FPred seems too big for the RA, the Evo X turbo honestly seems like the best possible turbo upgrade for the RA.
there hasnt been any issues with the RA crowd that has been tuned via cam. Im well aware of the history that some of his work has caused with the subie guys, and that is were my choice isnt made. I will likely go with AMS if the down time isnt considerable. TTP hasnt shown anything viable to make me want to buy an x tune from them, and neither has jestr (possibly due to the lack of him tuning any)
Old Mar 14, 2010, 10:34 PM
Evolved Member

Received 75 Likes on 68 Posts
There aren't any issues that people are aware of, there's a difference. The individual with the Evo wouldn't have known there was a problem if he hadn't done some logs and fiddled with the tune himself. Rocket Rally is also an option, personally I would trust them over any other local tuner.