Notices

Am I running to lean or am I ok

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19, 2010, 05:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Am I running to lean or am I ok

I just finished installng cp-e downpipe, high flow cat and cat back exhaust, and also injen CAI I am running 94 oct with oct booster so prob 95 to 96 oct I have installed Cobb stage 1 93oct tune. At wot I I'm running at 11.6 to 12.0 AFR and 2000 rpm to 3000 rpm it's 14.0 to 14.9 afr. There is no detonation or knock I was monitoring with my laptop for 30 min. Any info from u guys would be helpful.

Thanks
Old Mar 19, 2010, 05:58 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
that's a bit lean imo. If it were 11.6 thats ok but to run 12 under wot is pushing it. By 3000 you would probably hit peak boost and 14 - 14.9 is quite lean for that. When does it settle down to high 11's?
Old Mar 19, 2010, 09:20 AM

At the moment this info is just from watchin the afr and rpm I'll have better info when I get the adapter so I can log info
Old Mar 19, 2010, 11:27 AM
Account Disabled

its only lean at the very top end, 2000-3000 is of no concern. Up at the 6000+ is where u need to watch. 12.0 is leanish, but not scary lean. having 14-14.9 at 3000 is normal, as full boost and timing havent kicked it or sustained, so the need for fuel isnt there quite yet.

Also, stop running an octane boost your not driving a top fuel car there is no reason. i have more mods then you and run perfectly fine on just 94. Running more octane has nothing to do with leaning out, thats an amount of fuel issue and not a octane issue. Also, the octane boost is good for .5 octane at most. they are a gimmick.

Your best bet if your worried about 12.0 being too lean is to take the injen cold air off, and sell it because they are junk, especially on a canned tune. Use a high flow until you can get custom tuned, or until cobb releases a map for the injen intake
Old Mar 19, 2010, 11:29 AM
Evolved Member

12:1 a/f is bad under lots of load 4-6th gears, if its on stock timing as well. It might do some damage.
Old Mar 19, 2010, 11:37 AM
Account Disabled

no it wont, but unless the 12.1 is constant. He mentioned its between 11.6 and 12, if it bounces back and forth and isnt on one or the other for any period of time then its fine.

And hes using the accessport so its not stock timing.
Old Mar 19, 2010, 07:09 PM

the reason i had the octain boost is cause higher octain less chance of detonation but u r right i dont need it, i just had it cause of all the upgrades. I did watch the AFR and rpm on the way to work and at WOT 180km/h 5500 rpm it was at 11.3 to 11.6 afr thats about it at the moment until i log some data. Yeah the injen CAI might be garbage but i didnt pay for it and I did feel the difference in power and spool up of the turbo but that could just be me. In the future i might get an SRI but for now this is good enough.

thanks for your info people.
Old Mar 19, 2010, 07:25 PM
Evolved Member

Received 75 Likes on 68 Posts
I doubt you're running enough octane booster to raise the octane 2 points, you're likely just above 94 octane. When does the turbo start spooling with the Ralliart? If you're still at 14 or so AFR under boost, I'd be very concerned. The much talked about engine issues with the STI seemed to be the result of a stock tune that allowed for a stoichiometric AFR right when the turbo started to make boost. However, if you're not detecting knock, you should be fine.
There is a difference between a perceived increase in power and an actual increase in power. It doesn't look like intakes do much on mostly stock Ralliarts other than make noise.
Old Mar 19, 2010, 10:07 PM
Account Disabled

reminds me of my srt-4, the injen intake on it was nothing but a flute.
Old Mar 19, 2010, 10:15 PM
Evolved Member

Same with Subarus, Injens are not well liked by some tuners.
Old Mar 19, 2010, 11:09 PM
Evolving Member

The Injen intake increases your boost by 6 PSI and adds 31 HP. It's awsome!
Go buy one tomorrow!

-Brought to you by...Dr.Sarcasm
Old Mar 20, 2010, 04:08 AM

hahahha u guys r killing me i guess i have no choice now ill have to get the SRI. So now its the question of which one is the best one lol. I dont want to replace the battery to the small one. oh who wants an Injen CAI lol oh and u cant have the HID cause it wont fit lol.

Thanks for the input and all this ill try to log some data on the way to work today. thanks again
Old Mar 20, 2010, 10:53 AM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by rallifreek
hahahha u guys r killing me i guess i have no choice now ill have to get the SRI. So now its the question of which one is the best one lol. I dont want to replace the battery to the small one. oh who wants an Injen CAI lol oh and u cant have the HID cause it wont fit lol.

Thanks for the input and all this ill try to log some data on the way to work today. thanks again
running a short ram intake will cause issues as well unless you run a tune specific to it. Trust on this one. Mind you im not sure if the cobb tune can handle it, but its been a cause for concern without a proper tune.
Old Mar 20, 2010, 11:43 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by rallifreek

Or you could run the stock intake setup which works very very well. SRIs and turboed cars aren't a good idea.
Old Mar 20, 2010, 11:48 AM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by ambystom01
Or you could run the stock intake setup which works very very well. SRIs and turboed cars aren't a good idea.

i beg to differ about them not being a good idea.. but agree the stock system + high flow until hes tuned for a different intake would be in his best interest.