Notices

x turbo swap

Search this Thread

Old Apr 7, 2010, 07:26 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ralliart87
yes ive gone with the battery relocation kit, i chose a universel kit from summit around $100 and very simple to install. There is the option of the mini AMS battery but might not be great for large stereos or harsh winter weather. I just reused my OEM battery. The left side of the trunk is easy to drop the EVAP canister to drill holes for mounting.

I went with the AMS mini battery, if you lay it flat it fits perfectly where you have yours but under the carpet in the styrofoam container so you would never know it is there. And with the AMS battery there is no need to vent anything outside the car, I hope your box is sealed and vented to the outside if your using the OEM battery.

I didn't have any issues starting when it was -15 below zero this winter and I also have a 1000w RMS stereo setup without any issues since relocating the battery.
Old Apr 7, 2010, 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by Kieffer87
Would be good to have. But personally I think something as involved as swapping out a turbo probably shouldn't be completed by someone that needs to follow a How-To. It would be a nice tool just to see any snags you might run into but ultimately you should be able to do it with minimal guidance IMO. Either way it's pretty straight forward once you get into it.

One thing I will recommend is when you are putting it all back together you may think that if you bolt the O2 housing/DP combo (if you get an aftermarket 1 piece unit) to the turbo before you put it in that you can squeeze it in...Not the case .
lol Nice tip!!
Old Apr 24, 2010, 11:34 AM

I'm getting ready to swap in an X turbo to my Ralliart. Why the smaller battery? Any other tips? What about injectors? Fuel pump?
Old Apr 24, 2010, 05:57 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by jsurfdog
I'm getting ready to swap in an X turbo to my Ralliart. Why the smaller battery? Any other tips? What about injectors? Fuel pump?
Went with the smaller battery mainly because if you keep the stock battery it really should be in a sealed box that is vented outside the car. I didn't want to deal with that and my AMS mini battery fits right under the carpet in the trunk.

Your factory injectors and fuel pump will be more than enough for the x swap.
Old Apr 24, 2010, 06:56 PM
Evolved Member

If I'm understanding your question correctly, it is because you need the room for the EVO's intake system (different than the RAs, hence why the EVOs have the battery in the back). The fuel system is pretty much the same between the RA and EVO; however, what is overkill on the RA is underwhelming in the EVO. The pump is probably sufficient, but I have heard of guys not getting enough gas. The injectors, however, should be upgraded. 800 or 1,000 cc. Check Bryan (GST)'s post about his sportback project. I think he is going with 1,000 cc injectors because of a meth kit, but it can't hurt to have them either way.
Old Apr 25, 2010, 01:09 AM

Thanks for the help. I understand the underkill/overkill scenario, hence my question re injectors. I already have the X FMIC and pipes. Any idea whether the Evo X injectors will fit as a drop in? Re the Evo intake, is it a must to change out the Ralliart's when doing the turbo swap? I was planning on putting in a low restriction filter.
Thaks again.
Old Apr 25, 2010, 01:16 AM

Kieffer 87:
I've got the hatchback model, so a remote battery could be an issue. I'll look at keeping the battery in the engine bay, maybe go for the small AMS side mounted there. Did you move battery for intake purposes or because of differences in the FMIC pipe configuration? How did that UR O2 DP work out? Difficult to fit? Its pretty big. What about the exhaust manifold you use - stock Evo X or aftermarket?
Old May 7, 2010, 04:32 PM
Evolving Member

the injectors are fine and so is the fuel pump, remember our engines are the same as the EVOs just smaller single scroll turbo and detune is the only difference we have with our engine config. and the smaller batter kit would be used when you install a intake, like the AMS intake which would include the battery kit for an extra $75.00
Old May 7, 2010, 05:52 PM
Evolving Member

Mechanics use a "How to..." everyday. It's called a Service Manual. Every good mechanic uses one. If a mechanic doesn't use one he is either:

A) Very experienced and has done it numerous times before
B) A hack/slash mechanic that gets the job done by 'winging it' replacing whatever it takes to finally get the vehicle/machine running again.
Old May 11, 2010, 09:41 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Check my threads guys for my Evo x turbo and cams for sale and good luck with the build.
Old May 12, 2010, 01:10 PM
Account Disabled

you can do the x swap without moving the battery. The UR intake fits both cars and since you require a tune as it is, it poses no real issues. Another option is the evo maf housing with a aftermarket inlet and cone filter. This would essentially be a short ram that wont require as much tweaking as the UR SRI will.
Old May 12, 2010, 06:20 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Ladogaboy
If I'm understanding your question correctly, it is because you need the room for the EVO's intake system (different than the RAs, hence why the EVOs have the battery in the back). The fuel system is pretty much the same between the RA and EVO; however, what is overkill on the RA is underwhelming in the EVO. The pump is probably sufficient, but I have heard of guys not getting enough gas. The injectors, however, should be upgraded. 800 or 1,000 cc. Check Bryan (GST)'s post about his sportback project. I think he is going with 1,000 cc injectors because of a meth kit, but it can't hurt to have them either way.
I think Bryan may have chosen larger injectors because he plans to run a turbo bigger than the X. From what I understand, spraying meth would make you run richer, since it is an alternate fuel, placing less demand on the injectors.

I am starting to consider spraying water/meth instead of swaping to the x turbo. It would be less expensive, and I believe map switching as a meth fail safe will be publicly available in the very near future. It would be interesting to see some data on the gains to be had from this.
Old May 12, 2010, 07:52 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by Piper747
I think Bryan may have chosen larger injectors because he plans to run a turbo bigger than the X. From what I understand, spraying meth would make you run richer, since it is an alternate fuel, placing less demand on the injectors.

I am starting to consider spraying water/meth instead of swaping to the x turbo. It would be less expensive, and I believe map switching as a meth fail safe will be publicly available in the very near future. It would be interesting to see some data on the gains to be had from this.

he went bigger because e85 demands 30% more fuel.
Old May 12, 2010, 09:12 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Cosis
he went bigger because e85 demands 30% more fuel.
Hah! Good point. Missed that part.
Old May 17, 2010, 02:37 PM

Originally Posted by Cosis
you can do the x swap without moving the battery. The UR intake fits both cars and since you require a tune as it is, it poses no real issues. Another option is the evo maf housing with a aftermarket inlet and cone filter. This would essentially be a short ram that wont require as much tweaking as the UR SRI will.
good info! pics would be appreciated!

Quick Reply: x turbo swap