Notices

x turbo swap

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28, 2010, 08:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
x turbo swap

Hey all, I just bought an x turbo with 8k miles used for $364. I am hoping to start the swap soon but just saving up for all the other parts that I will need for it. Since I don't believe there is one yet, I will try my best to make a how to since many people will probably end up doing this. If anyone has any suggestions or words of advice for me they are always welcome .
Old Mar 28, 2010, 09:44 PM
Account Disabled

preorder the tune so you dont have to wait.

AMS has a really good one.
Old Mar 30, 2010, 06:08 PM
Evolving Member

If your really going to try it maker sure you have alot of tools and a lift. It makes life alot easier. I had to use a few 1/2 drive and alkot of 3/8 drive impact and hand rachets. Just be sure to read every tread on the evo swap and good luck. Its well worth the effort, time and money invested. Trust me
Old Mar 30, 2010, 08:02 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by secondchace
preorder the tune so you dont have to wait.

AMS has a really good one.
What is AMS paying you to toot their horn every few posts. Im sure they're a great company and all.....
Old Mar 30, 2010, 08:27 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by Piper747
What is AMS paying you to toot their horn every few posts. Im sure they're a great company and all.....
i never toot for ams bro, im a UR fan boy haha.

And 3/8 ? and 1/2? the car is built on the metric system my friend. you mean 10mm and 12mm lol
Old Mar 30, 2010, 08:52 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
To the OP, I look forward to your how-to on the swap/ I plan on doing this myself very soon. Sorry to clutter your thread but....
i never toot for ams bro, im a UR fan boy haha.
Fair enough
And 3/8 ? and 1/2? the car is built on the metric system my friend. you mean 10mm and 12mm lol
Old Mar 30, 2010, 09:19 PM
Account Disabled

japan = metric good sir. Using a 3/8 th and 1/2 might work, but it isnt flush, so the proper metric tools are better suited.
Old Mar 31, 2010, 03:12 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Ralliart87
If your really going to try it maker sure you have alot of tools and a lift. It makes life alot easier. I had to use a few 1/2 drive and alkot of 3/8 drive impact and hand rachets. Just be sure to read every tread on the evo swap and good luck. Its well worth the effort, time and money invested. Trust me
Old Mar 31, 2010, 04:21 PM
Evolving Member

Yeah, to all the online know it alls..It say very clear, 1/2" and 3/8" DRIVE. It doesnt matter what make your working on. The TOOLS never change, try not to sit online too long, go outside and turn a wrench. Nothing anyone does on these forums are "tuner approved"
Old Mar 31, 2010, 06:42 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Ralliart87
Yeah, to all the online know it alls..It say very clear, 1/2" and 3/8" DRIVE. It doesnt matter what make your working on. The TOOLS never change, try not to sit online too long, go outside and turn a wrench. Nothing anyone does on these forums are "tuner approved"

lol, I thought I was 'tarded cause I thought u meant the drive size not socket size (which lucky u did mean so I'm just partially 'tarded not full blown....yet)
Old Mar 31, 2010, 07:05 PM
Evolving Member

There's a garrett turbo install how to on garretts website. It will tell you everything you need to know.
Old Apr 5, 2010, 07:29 AM

Looking forward to seeing this done. Does the battery have to be relocated to the trunk for this swap??
Old Apr 6, 2010, 04:38 PM
Evolving Member

yes ive gone with the battery relocation kit, i chose a universel kit from summit around $100 and very simple to install. There is the option of the mini AMS battery but might not be great for large stereos or harsh winter weather. I just reused my OEM battery. The left side of the trunk is easy to drop the EVAP canister to drill holes for mounting.
Attached Thumbnails x turbo swap-shop2-027.jpg  
Old Apr 6, 2010, 07:35 PM

Here it is, came in last night,

Old Apr 7, 2010, 07:23 AM
Evolving Member

Would be good to have. But personally I think something as involved as swapping out a turbo probably shouldn't be completed by someone that needs to follow a How-To. It would be a nice tool just to see any snags you might run into but ultimately you should be able to do it with minimal guidance IMO. Either way it's pretty straight forward once you get into it.

One thing I will recommend is when you are putting it all back together you may think that if you bolt the O2 housing/DP combo (if you get an aftermarket 1 piece unit) to the turbo before you put it in that you can squeeze it in...Not the case .

Quick Reply: x turbo swap