Installed UR intercooler and piping

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19, 2010, 07:33 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Installed UR intercooler and piping

Fitment: 6/10
- Tubes rubbing
- No way to bolt it down (like AMS or stock)
- Intercooler was retarded to bolt up

Horsepower: 9/10
- I can feel a bit more power, but I'm skeptical of the 20+ they claim

Looks: 10/10
- Nicely polished

Overall: 8/10
- I'll never remove it to install a different one, you get what you pay for. I think it is a fantastic product. The airflow through the core is much less restrictive and cools wayyy better. Definately pulls like a **** in the 5000+ RPM range, doesn't die out at all.

I can definately tell that I need to get a custom dyno tune though, just doesn't feel right. I think I can get a few more ponies out of it yet. Only problem I have now is my tranny is slipping, I smelt the burning of the clutches (only when I have it in SPORT mode and I floor it around 3000-4000 RPM. The tranny just can't hold the power. I think I've reached the limits of my car until there is a tranny reflash.

I took some pics as well that I'll post up in a couple days.

Last edited by RotorGlow; Apr 20, 2010 at 08:09 AM.
Old Apr 19, 2010, 08:10 AM
Evolving Member

How was front bumper removal?
When you say its not running right, what are the indicators of this?

The UR UICP like you mention does not have the opposing brackets like stock and the AMS UICP however on my install I put some foam tape on the top cross member to insure that the UICP does not rub there.

I plan to install the UR FMIC as well in the future so if you could could you be so kind as to tell us about specifics on fit of the FMIC?

Cheers
Old Apr 19, 2010, 08:18 AM
Evolved Member

Yeah the real power gains will be after the tune, so not much of a surprise there. I'm sure you'll be more happy with it at that point!

-Taranis
Old Apr 19, 2010, 08:49 AM
Evolving Member

haha, I told you it was a pain in the ***! to install that damn intercooler, but im glad everything worked out for you, When I installed it i forgot to tighten the hose clamp on the upper pipe coming off of the intercooler, its sounded like a jet plane taking off..

Everything else worked out?
Old Apr 19, 2010, 09:01 AM
Evolving Member

Total install time was about 3.5 hours, everything went smooth except my buddy cross-threaded 1 of the intercooler support bolts. Needless to say there is only 3 holding it up, which is still fine. I also cut a chunk of rubber hose off and slid it under the upper intercooler pipe where it rubs against the top cross-member thingy.

What I mean by it not running right, is that it needs a tune for more HP. I feel more pull, but there is room for much more. Other then that it is solid.

Front bumper/clip removal really wasn't that hard. Just gotta remember where everything goes at the end! Somehow managed to lose and break a few of the plastic clippies.
Old Apr 19, 2010, 09:35 AM
Evolving Member

I doubt you've reached the limits of your SST with your mods. I had more mods than you have now back when there was 5,000 miles on my car. I'm at 22,000 and everything going strong. You're pretty much safe as long as you stay with your stock turbo.
Old Apr 19, 2010, 09:45 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by RADriver
How was front bumper removal?
When you say its not running right, what are the indicators of this?

The UR UICP like you mention does not have the opposing brackets like stock and the AMS UICP however on my install I put some foam tape on the top cross member to insure that the UICP does not rub there.

I plan to install the UR FMIC as well in the future so if you could could you be so kind as to tell us about specifics on fit of the FMIC?

Cheers
Bumper removal is easy once you practice some before your parts come in.
It took my about 3.5 hours to install my FMIC too(by myself). Those bolts underneath are pain in the a** to screw in. I got so frustrated I just put 2 screws to hold the FMIC(4 all together) Looked like it wasn't going to budge even with only 2 screws on. The pipes hold the thing in place anyways. But besides the screwing part the fitment is spot on!!
Old Apr 19, 2010, 11:06 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by athmak15
I doubt you've reached the limits of your SST with your mods. I had more mods than you have now back when there was 5,000 miles on my car. I'm at 22,000 and everything going strong. You're pretty much safe as long as you stay with your stock turbo.
During normal operation the trans. is perfectly fine, yes. BUT...put your car in to sport mode, rev at 3200-3500 RPM and then floor it. I can guarantee you will smoke your clutches like I did. I know the smell of burning clutch and I had the exclamation mark warning come on my display.
Old Apr 19, 2010, 12:50 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by RotorGlow
During normal operation the trans. is perfectly fine, yes. BUT...put your car in to sport mode, rev at 3200-3500 RPM and then floor it. I can guarantee you will smoke your clutches like I did. I know the smell of burning clutch and I had the exclamation mark warning come on my display.
You had the warning come up when you were just driving around and floored it from 3200-3500 to redline? That's never happened to my car, and I always drive around in Sport mode. I've had the warning when come up before when I launched the car around 3200 rpms, just not while the car was already in motion and then floored it.
Old Apr 19, 2010, 12:57 PM
Evolving Member

He must be talking slippage @ launch
Old Apr 20, 2010, 07:51 AM
Evolving Member

I'm not talking about slippage at launch.

I was doing about 40km/h (can't remember the exact speed) and I was in full automatic in sport mode at about 3500 RPM. I then floored it and the car launched hard for 1/2 a second. Then the car lurched forward, the warning came on, and then we smelt burning clutch a couple seconds after.

May car CANNOT handle the HP it has when I floor it around peak boost.

Blame it on TTP for sending me a super-powerful tune
Old Apr 20, 2010, 08:20 AM
Evolved Member

Damn~! you just reminded me how big our fmics were haha
Old Apr 20, 2010, 08:44 AM
Evolving Member

If you don't mind me asking, did you find the UR intercooler kit on sale somewhere by any chance? The basic price without shipping looks to be around $1,015 for the intercooler and piping per their website. I'll be looking to upgrade my intercooler after my new exhaust arrives.

Also, would you post your dyno sheets after the tune please? It would be really cool to see the end results.
Old Apr 20, 2010, 09:02 AM
Evolving Member

I got it on sale from Euripides for $550. He is getting rid of his car so he is parting out all his aftermarket goodies. UR is the cheapest out there, but the $1137 (shipped) price tag made me hum-and-hah for a long time. So long in fact that I seen Euripides selling his for way cheaper and I jumped right on it!

Yeah I'll post all my results. That is IF I make it down there this summer. I would love to but we'll just have to see. I'm 75% sure I'll be getting it dyno tuned
Old Apr 20, 2010, 11:49 AM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by RotorGlow
I'm not talking about slippage at launch.

I was doing about 40km/h (can't remember the exact speed) and I was in full automatic in sport mode at about 3500 RPM. I then floored it and the car launched hard for 1/2 a second. Then the car lurched forward, the warning came on, and then we smelt burning clutch a couple seconds after.

May car CANNOT handle the HP it has when I floor it around peak boost.

Blame it on TTP for sending me a super-powerful tune

blame it on ttp for sending a super powerful tune? HAAAAAA. I guarentee i have more power/torque to the wheels then you, and have had no issues. Maybe blame it on the owner for getting a canned tune and launching too often when he first got it. The clutch handles plenty of us with more mods and better tunes without issues. Hell it handles evo X swaps without issues. It even handled an fp red for months of goofy driving at ams before it **** the bed. Your logic is flawed. Further proof would be that euri had a fully bolted and tuned ralliart, making 65 whp more then stock, and like 70 ft lbs more, for months, without issues. hmmm

Last edited by secondchace; Apr 20, 2010 at 11:53 AM.

Quick Reply: Installed UR intercooler and piping