Notices

what do think of these mods or should i trade for a Evo turbo?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24, 2010, 07:36 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Chops: I have a feeling "that guy in Red Deer" (aka. Cam) is going to tell me the same thing. He kinda hinted at it but he is so god damn slow to respond to my emails, I havn't found out yet. If he does tell me that, I will surely tell him that I wasn't born yesterday.
Old Apr 24, 2010, 10:38 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by secondchace
pointless unless you plan on running an fp green or red. The x turbo can be tuned into the 300/300 range which is safe unless you drive like hellen keller.
in which case you'd be in a wall and thus not needing the upgrade
Old Apr 24, 2010, 10:47 AM
Evolved Member

im wonder who in canada is even qualified to install that.... wouldnt be cheap shipping the tranny out to florida
Old Apr 24, 2010, 11:19 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Chops
The guy i'm going to in Red Deer said that I have to buy an Access Port from him and thats what he uses to do the tuning on the car, and that i keep it afterwards. I thought that's what all the tuners do?
exactly chop its better to have so you can save gas by using the map that is has for that, or you can use stock to save some gas or you can switch to your performance map and burn every drop of gas!!!
Old Apr 24, 2010, 11:30 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
its funny how my performance tune gets better gas milage then the stock map.

hmm

yet again 2k10ralliart, you are wrong.

Alot of tuners will use the cobb software because they simply modify the stage 1-2 tunes instead of starting from stratch. Its easier for them. Our stock map has horrible gas milage, so i dont even understand where you came up with that.
Secondchace is right here. The factory map is crappy on gas mileage because it runs so rich. You'll get better mileage from a custom tune or by using the gas saving map through the Cobb Accessport.
Old Apr 24, 2010, 11:47 AM
Evolving Member

If Lightspeed is forcing people to buy the CobbAP to make their life easier, then there better be a sweet discount on the tuning or the CobbAP.
Old Apr 24, 2010, 01:10 PM
Evolving Member

its funny how my performance tune gets better gas milage then the stock map.

hmm

yet again 2k10ralliart, you are wrong.

Alot of tuners will use the cobb software because they simply modify the stage 1-2 tunes instead of starting from stratch. Its easier for them. Our stock map has horrible gas milage, so i dont even understand where you came up with that.
guess you didn't undrstand I was saying you can gas on the stock map, then with the stg3, and if you wanted more you could switch over to the gas saving map, which is already preinstalled on the Cobb..
Old Apr 24, 2010, 01:11 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Slee256
Secondchace is right here. The factory map is crappy on gas mileage because it runs so rich. You'll get better mileage from a custom tune or by using the gas saving map through the Cobb Accessport.
its kinda funny tho, when devin tuned my car at strictly modified, he actually had to add fuel to get to the proper low 11.x:1 a/f ratios. probably because of all the other crap i have on the car tho, i guess. either way, with the custom tune and all mods, i still get better mileage than the stock settings ever did (19-23 weekly average driving like a madman, 31-34mpg straight hwy). full custom street tune with ECUFlash
Old Apr 24, 2010, 01:26 PM
Evolving Member

And last thing. Power doesnt effect the tranny. Torque does. Torque can be limited and is limited by our tranny. you can make 340 whp on an pf green with 300 torque that will save the tranny for a time, depending on how you use it.

As for your "ricer" comment. LOL. That coming from someone with limited knowledge clearly on his car, and someone who is running an hks ssqv, which im willing to guess you have venting to atmosphere and not recirculated like its SUPPOSED to be. For someone so concerned with making more power, you lose power on the very first mod you do. Thats a solid start if you ask me. (if you cant figure out how venting your car to atmosphere hurts performance, please dont reply, it will only further my case on how little you know)
I am aware of the Trq being the conflict with the Tranny but see there is a guynamed bryan that has been talking with me about this who also has a sportback ralli thats helping me with this by lowering the boost so that the trq won't kick in till 3500 Rpm when it gets tuned. also on this part "knowledge clearly on his car, and someone who is running an hks ssqv, which im willing to guess you have venting to atmosphere and not recirculated like its" are you sure you just had a lucky guess or did you go around checking here on the forum to see how i have the setup connected.. Recently I did have the BOV set to atmospheric but now its circulating and yes that was for the sound, but have noticed the drop when I lift off the gas, that is why I changed.
Old Apr 24, 2010, 03:20 PM
Evolving Member

Yeah, i talked to Cam two days ago. he said that i have to to buy an AP, then wait til June to get in there. And he'll do the tuning and it should run me around $1200-1300 when it's said and done. This sounds like a pretty big rip off to me. Rotorglow, let me know how you make out with him. If he dicks you around, lets just make a convoy trip to those dudes in BC...ummmm Rally something blah blah
Old Apr 24, 2010, 03:33 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Chops
Yeah, i talked to Cam two days ago. he said that i have to to buy an AP, then wait til June to get in there. And he'll do the tuning and it should run me around $1200-1300 when it's said and done. This sounds like a pretty big rip off to me. Rotorglow, let me know how you make out with him. If he dicks you around, lets just make a convoy trip to those dudes in BC...ummmm Rally something blah blah
That's a ridiculous price if you ask me! I paid $250 for one hour of tuning and my car runs like a champ. I don't know, maybe you guys don't have a lot of options around where you live, but I just think that guy is ripping you off.
Old Apr 24, 2010, 04:39 PM
Evolved Member

cam spends more then one hour on the tuning, and produces legitimate dyno numbers, stock and after. all you have is peak power numbers that are way too high for the mods you have, especially without baseline numbers on that dyno to show the actual gains.

You get what you pay for i guess.

But yeah you guys should just ask for the ecu tek tunes like mine was done.
Ahhh, here we go again Secondchace...I knew it was only a matter of time before you tried to beat me up over my hp and tq numbers again. Check out the thread below, and you'll see my numbers are right in line with where they should be, based on someone who has similar mods. Besides, I didn't need more than an hour of tuning, because I went into the tuning shop with the GST basemap already preloaded onto my ECU. So, all my tuner had to do was tweak that map and perfect it for my car, rather than having to work off the factory basemap which would have taken a lot longer. Either way, I'm not going to get into a pissing match with you, since I know my numbers are accurate. Here's the thread:
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/09...sults-awd.html

Last edited by Slee256; Apr 24, 2010 at 05:56 PM.
Old Apr 24, 2010, 06:40 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 03chi-town0Z
either way, with the custom tune and all mods, i still get better mileage than the stock settings ever did (19-23 weekly average driving like a madman, 31-34mpg straight hwy). full custom street tune with ECUFlash
That highway mileage seems extremely good. Downhill slope? Tailwind?

Granted, I'm still on stock tune with 235s, but the best I've managed is 28 mpg with a slight/moderate tailwind. A 3-6 mpg (21%) increase seems too good to be true.
Old Apr 24, 2010, 06:42 PM
Evolving Member

your but see comment makes no sense. It doesnt disagree with anything i said. the best part about keeping boost low till 3500 rpm is that the x turbo and mivec do it for you, so that changes nothing in the setup itself. And no it wasnt a lucky guess, from everything youve posted in this thread it was very easy to tell you had it venting to atmosphere.
even as it may be im going with the AMS Stg3 setup being composed of these
  • OEM EVO X Turbo
  • AMS Wide Mouth Downpipe
  • AMS Ralliart Stage 3 ECU Flash
Instead of what I have listed, thou im still considering getting the FMIC from them and just get their tune set on the accessport when I install the FMIC so that i could then have here a local shop fine tune with the add of the FMIC, which will run me good numbers, and being enough for what im after, Happy modding for yourself!!
Old Apr 24, 2010, 07:03 PM
Evolved Member

so do it..

cause clearly any opinion that we give does not matter to you

Quick Reply: what do think of these mods or should i trade for a Evo turbo?