Notices

TC-SST Transmission Upgrades

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10, 2010, 08:27 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by NFSLancerRA
This stuff is nothing new. I think that we all get that the computer is a hold-up. However, I wonder how much of a hold-up it really is. That was the point of this thread. Apparently, you can get past this issue with reinforced internals.

Intuitively, this is how I see the balance of computer to actual structural stability:

75% Construction/Materials - 25% Computer Control

If you guys see it differently, I would be interested to know. I honestly have nothing to base that on, other than prior experience with other transmissions/clutches.
That is what I don't understand. It seems some people are saying the computer is the problem and "making" the disks open up and slip. However on the other side you throw in SSP 500hp disks and they are claiming with their disks you can run more power without slippage. They contrdict themselves, I'm sure the computer is a hold up but it doesn't seem that it is the limiting factor here.
Old Jun 10, 2010, 02:15 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Kieffer87
That is what I don't understand. It seems some people are saying the computer is the problem and "making" the disks open up and slip. However on the other side you throw in SSP 500hp disks and they are claiming with their disks you can run more power without slippage. They contrdict themselves, I'm sure the computer is a hold up but it doesn't seem that it is the limiting factor here.
The SSP clutch packs have been tested and rated to have a clamping force capable of holding 500hp. The testing and R&D is based on the material, surface area, etc.

As I understand it, they test the clutches with computers on machines, not inside the actual transmission with 500hp.

SSP is the same company that developed the upgraded clutch packs for the 1,000hp GT-R.

The clutches will hold. SSP strengthened the material and increased the surface area.

Also the SSP clutch packs have been used in the MR transmission which has been rated (and programmed) to hold more HP than the RA transmission. Mitsubishi used more surface area on the OEM clutch packs for the MR, which is why it has a higher limit than the RA transmission, it has been programmed not to open the clutch packs at the lower limit the RA has been programmed to open.

I'm not sure what the HP record is for the MR transmission, but I guarantee it will hold more power than the RA, simply because of the programming.
Old Jun 10, 2010, 03:26 PM
Account Disabled

some nerd in the x forums part has 502 awhp on his mr stated as a world record. not 100% sure if its right, but 502 awhp is alot
Old Jun 10, 2010, 03:41 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by Cosis
some nerd in the x forums part has 502 awhp on his mr stated as a world record. not 100% sure if its right, but 502 awhp is alot
I would start thinking about it in torque, not horsepower, well unless you want to do the math back to torque.

Most of the SST logic is in calculated torque with some other things running as sort of an error correction system.

fyi, a very smart individual and I have really been diving in together with the SST stuff. The more I test and we find, the more I realize that the ECU is almost all the logic and the TCU is it's little comrade.

There is *alot* of interesting things in the logic and some crazy control factors. An example is while testing some things, I almost flew through a red light as I was testing out some shift-throttle feedback and I ended up having the throttle plate stay open a wee longer then I should have after a downshift.. prius mode! :P

- Bryan
Old Jun 10, 2010, 09:43 PM

Has anyone tracked their R/A yet with the stock TC-SST? The idea is reliability and repeatability, being the indicator of a track worthy transmission. I figure as soon as the ECU/TCU are fully "cracked" we will see more available parts to further strenghten and tune the TC-SST in both the R/A and MR, if it hasn't already then hopefully the market will take full notice of potential possibilities.
Old Jun 10, 2010, 10:34 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EvoIXV2
Has anyone tracked their R/A yet with the stock TC-SST? The idea is reliability and repeatability, being the indicator of a track worthy transmission. I figure as soon as the ECU/TCU are fully "cracked" we will see more available parts to further strenghten and tune the TC-SST in both the R/A and MR, if it hasn't already then hopefully the market will take full notice of potential possibilities.
Yeah, last year there were a few guys tracking their RA, TC-SST over heats way to easy!!!

A transmission cooler is a must for performance with this transmission, Mitsu did a HORRIBLE job with the cooling design. Once AMS came out with their transmission cooler the problem disappeared. Also SSP has a transmission cooler with uses 2 fans and has a better design, but costs like twice as much. Either cooler works well to eliminate the problem.

I ran mine through some twisites (bone stock) and was pushing the heat limit after about 10-15 minutes.

I am really excited about the work being done in re-programming the transmission ECU, happy to see folks like GST Motorsports working on the issue!!!
Old Jun 11, 2010, 08:15 AM
Evolved Member

Apparently Greddy tested their MR and the car overheated after 15min of hard driving (with OEM cooler).
It sounds ridiculous to me.
Old Jun 11, 2010, 09:33 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by initial_d2k
Apparently Greddy tested their MR and the car overheated after 15min of hard driving (with OEM cooler).
It sounds ridiculous to me.
Yeah, it is ridiculous. It's a serious flaw, and it is THAT bad.

It's fine for DD, but tracking or punching it hard through the twisties really builds up heat FAST! Even running in Sport mode and punching it hard for any length of time will generate enough heat for the driver to feel it.

A transmission cooler is a MUST for this car. It really doesn't take much, the AMS cooler is only $500.00 and I've read some good reviews. The SSP cooler is also getting rave reviews, but also runs just shy of $1,000.00!
Old Jun 11, 2010, 09:37 AM
Evolved Member

dont forget about these:
http://greddy-usa.blogspot.com/2010/...oler-kits.html

woooooping 1.5k =P
http://www.frsport.com/Greddy-120348...S_p_16677.html

But it includes a bunch of other things too...

Last edited by initial_d2k; Jun 11, 2010 at 09:40 AM.
Old Jun 11, 2010, 10:16 AM
Evolved Member

The RA TC-SST overheats because it doesn't have a stock cooler. The MR TC-SST overheats because the airflow over the stock cooler is not sufficient. People have remedied this by removing the fog lights and adding fans.

I can't find it right now, but one MR owner did a pretty good write up of how he was able to eliminate the fog lights and add fans to his stock cooler. Apparently, he was also able to lose a kilo or so off the front end weight.
Old Jun 11, 2010, 10:30 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by initial_d2k
dont forget about these:
http://greddy-usa.blogspot.com/2010/...oler-kits.html

woooooping 1.5k =P
http://www.frsport.com/Greddy-120348...S_p_16677.html

But it includes a bunch of other things too...
Nice, but $1500.00+!?!?! Even with the extras, that's just too much. The SSP cooler is probably over kill and it's $1,000 with 2 fans, etc.

Honestly, I will probably just go with the AMS cooler and call it a day until I decide to go for the full on SSP upgrades.
Old Jun 11, 2010, 10:44 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Ladogaboy
The RA TC-SST overheats because it doesn't have a stock cooler. The MR TC-SST overheats because the airflow over the stock cooler is not sufficient. People have remedied this by removing the fog lights and adding fans.

I can't find it right now, but one MR owner did a pretty good write up of how he was able to eliminate the fog lights and add fans to his stock cooler. Apparently, he was also able to lose a kilo or so off the front end weight.

*sorry for stealing the pic, hope u dont mine, Bryan

Isn't the black thing SST cooler?
Old Jun 11, 2010, 10:51 AM
Evolved Member

...the RA does have a trans cooler.

the RA does NOT have an engine oil cooler.

the RA cooler is the same as the one on my outlander.
Old Jun 11, 2010, 10:54 AM
Account Disabled

we do have a stock transcooler.. it is the black thing, thanks for nothing 07
Old Jun 11, 2010, 11:17 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Cosis
we do have a stock transcooler.. it is the black thing, thanks for nothing 07
It's hard to see in this pic, but it's in the drivers fender well. basically where your washer reservoir is but on the opposite side.

Quick Reply: TC-SST Transmission Upgrades