Notices

Tactrix Cable and Flashing Questions

Search this Thread

Old Jul 2, 2010, 09:32 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tactrix Cable and Flashing Questions

Hey Guys...I got my Tactrix cable in today and after reading some threads over the past few days I figured I would just start by reading my stock ROM and trying to save it before messing with anything else.

1) My cable came with a separate cable with a headphone connector. I saw some older Evo threads mentioning a second plug next to the OBD-II connection but the RA didn't have it. Also I was able to connect to the car using OpenECU without issue so I'm assuming this isn't necessary?

2) When reading the ROM on the ECU the car started displaying error messages on the center display (Car is overheating, service AWD, Service transmission). They all went away once it was done, is this normal?

3) Once my stock ROM was read I received the error that I didn't have the correct definitions. It appears I need an XML file however none of ones I could find seemed to work. Where can I get the correct XML? Will I need this or another XML to load the GST base map?

4) I read on some threads that i should clear DTCs after flashing. How do I do this, and is it necessary after just reading the stock ROM? I turned the car on for a moment after disconnecting everything and no warnings popped up.

Thanks in advance for the help.
Old Jul 2, 2010, 10:23 PM
Evolved Member

As far as the error messages displaying while you were reading the ECU, I am almost positive that is normal. When using the AP to read stock file or flash, the lcd display does the same thing so I wouldnt worry about that. As far as the other stuff, I am more lost than you are on that. Good luck
Old Jul 2, 2010, 10:29 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by SOG RA
As far as the error messages displaying while you were reading the ECU, I am almost positive that is normal. When using the AP to read stock file or flash, the lcd display does the same thing so I wouldnt worry about that. As far as the other stuff, I am more lost than you are on that. Good luck

Haha thanks man.
Old Jul 3, 2010, 08:06 AM
Evolved Member

I just went out to try and clear the DTC and didnt have much luck. After reading the ecu again, i chose to Exit Programming State then Clear DTCs. When I did I got this message in the log window "Flashing tools do not recognize flash method"

I now have the Service Engine Soon light on but I went for a quick drive around my neighborhood and everything seemed to work fine. Can I just go to AutoZone and have them clear the codes until I can figure this out?
Old Jul 5, 2010, 05:33 AM
Evolving Member

I went through the exact same thing as you, and no worries my friend, you're not alone. When reading the ECU your display will flash all of the error codes and your CEL will come on. After detaching the cable, the CEL will remain on til you can clear the codes.

The fix, is kind of an annoying thing, but it's very simple. You need to copy a couple of definition files into the install directory of your ECU Flash program. I'll send you a PM and once I have your email address I'll send the files/instructions to you. Once you have these, you can reflash, and clear the DTC's to shut off the CEL.
Old Jul 5, 2010, 10:50 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Proteus_x15
I went through the exact same thing as you, and no worries my friend, you're not alone. When reading the ECU your display will flash all of the error codes and your CEL will come on. After detaching the cable, the CEL will remain on til you can clear the codes.

The fix, is kind of an annoying thing, but it's very simple. You need to copy a couple of definition files into the install directory of your ECU Flash program. I'll send you a PM and once I have your email address I'll send the files/instructions to you. Once you have these, you can reflash, and clear the DTC's to shut off the CEL.

Hey I responded to your PM.

I actually ended up posting this in the Evo section and had a few people help me out. Everything looks good to go now, I just need to wait for it to stop raining and then try to actually flash using the GTS map.
Old Jul 5, 2010, 10:54 AM
Evolving Member

Good to go then! Did you install the boost pill as well? Or just the tune? Either way I noticed a difference, but I did get a nice bit of additional power with the pill + tune Track times did improve.
Old Jul 5, 2010, 01:38 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Proteus_x15
Good to go then! Did you install the boost pill as well? Or just the tune? Either way I noticed a difference, but I did get a nice bit of additional power with the pill + tune Track times did improve.
Im just doing the tune for now, forgot to order the pill this week so Ill do that today.

Was waiting for it to stop raining now im waiting for it not to be 100+ degrees outside so I can flash it.
Old Jul 5, 2010, 07:53 PM
Evolved Member

Flash went according to plan, went for a quick drive and everything seems fine. Ill run some logs after work tomorrow to make sure everything is really fine.