Notices

ralliart transmission might be faulty

Search this Thread

Old Jul 22, 2011, 11:12 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sound like ur b!tchin at Mitsu about the SST,...but it's not a Mitsu product, they didn't build them.
Also, unless you get the 6-speed STI tranny, Subie's are worse. I traded one in for this car, dullest of the dull. The whole reason I took a loss on the Subie to get this car (I only had the Subie 8 months) was because of this SST tranny.
It's definitely a love it or hate it transmission. But you can't really blame Mitsu for your issues with it; but the rattles on the other hand.....
Don't get me wrong, I still like Subies, but they aren't the godsend you are making them out to be, go read NASIOC
Pretty much any "higher" performance vehicle is going to have some type of hiccup. Its just how it goes when you start pushing these things as far as you can; things that were minor grow exponetially. The only way to have a "trouble-free" car is leave it in the garage.

Last edited by sstevojr; Jul 22, 2011 at 11:17 AM.
Old Jul 22, 2011, 05:51 PM
Evolving Member

Sorry, Mitsu doesn't get a free pass because they didn't manufacture the SST. A $10k tranny with no rebuild options isn't acceptable.

Besides, unless you live in the Toronto area, you can't appreciate the issues with dealers in this area.

Last edited by TrailBrake; May 3, 2012 at 09:45 AM.
Old Jul 22, 2011, 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by TrailBrake
Sorry, Mitsu doesn't get a free pass because they didn't manufacture the SST. I've owned cars with trannies made by other vendors, and they didn't have half the issues the SST does.

Besides, unless you live in the Toronto area, you can't appreciate how bad dealer service is for those have posted on here.
Totally disagree. Dual clutch is a complex part. All of the DCT vendors have had "issues" (look at the GTR or the Ferraris)

A *huge* part of the problem is aftermarket modification. As these tranny's get more complex (and dual clutch sequential is about as complex as it gets), it is going to become more vital to either build the trans as well (something almost always ignored for most modders) or understand the trans limits and stop *well* short of them.

Manufacturers arent saying "OK, we'll spend a *pile* on a Gertrag box *far* in excess of what we need and take a loss so modders are safe"

Thats the part I think people arent "getting". IMO, heavy modding, requires a manual trans at this stage of DCT maturity, OR requires accepting big risk.

If there were an epidemic of DCT failures on *bone stock* Mitu's in general (meaning BONE stock - NO a GST tune does NOT count as bone stock nor does a FMIC nor does *anything* that changes the tq and hp curves, sorry) we would be seeing a huge uproar, not just forum griping by niche enthusiasts. It would be in car mags, there would be class actions and there would be recalls. This isnt a new part for Mitsu, nor is it a new part for Gertrag. We arent seeing that kind of thing, so there isnt a widespread problem period. Isolated cases? Sure. Im SURE that BONE stock cars *have* failed. But those are statistical anomalies. I know thats always difficult to accept on any forum on any topic, but its reality.

Every car I've owned has had some "catastrophic" issue impacting "everyone" according to forums. *Very* few have real statistical significance (meaning enough impact on *stock* cars that the manufacturer needs to issue a recall)

Last edited by mlambert890; Jul 22, 2011 at 07:33 PM.
Old Jul 23, 2011, 04:18 AM
Evolving Member

I respect what you are saying, but please grant those who don't share your views the same degree of respect. We are entitled to our opinion and have the right to be dissatisfied with Mitsu service.

I'm not a modder, my car IS bone stock, as are a number of the cars in my area that are encountering issues.

For what it's worth, given the relatively low number of RAs sold in the GTA, the total number of SST failures requiring a complete swap is high enough to rule this out as an anomaly.

Last edited by TrailBrake; Jul 23, 2011 at 06:10 AM.
Old Jul 23, 2011, 07:01 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by TrailBrake
I respect what you are saying, but please grant those who don't share your views the same degree of respect. We are entitled to our opinion and have the right to be dissatisfied with Mitsu service.

I'm not a modder, my car IS bone stock, as are a number of the cars in my area that are encountering issues.

For what it's worth, given the relatively low number of RAs sold in the GTA, the total number of SST failures requiring a complete swap is high enough to rule this out as an anomaly.
From what I have read over the past couple years on this forum most of the SST issues have involved locations in Canada and northern American states. If you take that data and add it to the fact that there were a bunch of cold weather related center diff failures that caused Mitsubishi to issue a recall or TSB (I can't remember off hand which one it was.) I would surmise that Mitsubishi performed insufficient cold weather testing on these parts and the fluids that lubricate them.

Now, obviously, this does not account for the failures in warmer areas, but it is a starter point for further investigation.
Old Jul 23, 2011, 09:26 AM
Evolving Member

Agreed. There is something going on here. I had the ECU flash from the TSB, back in February, but unfortunately it didn't sort out the jerking issue from a dead stop.

My work-around thus far has been to slowly roll onto the throttle from a dead stop. When I need to merge into traffic quickly, I try to roll forward a few feet (when I can) before putting the gas pedal down harder.
Old Jul 23, 2011, 09:44 AM
Evolving Member

You should just take the tech out on a drive with you. Easiest way to try and replicate the issue for them. You know when it happens, and they clearly don't see things the way you are seeing them.
Old Jul 24, 2011, 05:09 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by npham455
You should just take the tech out on a drive with you. Easiest way to try and replicate the issue for them. You know when it happens, and they clearly don't see things the way you are seeing them.
I've done that already, at two separate dealers.

Both sets of techs and service managers had the same answer, since the tranny fluid had been changed, that's all they can do until error codes are generated or it starts skipping gears.
Old Apr 5, 2012, 08:45 PM
Evolving Member

Just updating on my cars status. Since the transmission change my car is still going strong and has hit 36000 miles. I have also done an evo x turbo swap.
Old Apr 6, 2012, 09:02 AM

I picked up an 09 RG Ralliart in the beginning of Feb and it now has just under 30k miles with no problem, but when my friend who's a mechanic was ordering parts for me he asked what the production date was because at some point Mitsubishi altered something. For those with the problems what was your production date?
Old Apr 29, 2012, 02:06 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by twashere
I picked up an 09 RG Ralliart in the beginning of Feb and it now has just under 30k miles with no problem, but when my friend who's a mechanic was ordering parts for me he asked what the production date was because at some point Mitsubishi altered something. For those with the problems what was your production date?
Can't tell you till I get back stateside in a couple of months. Sorry I couldn't help.
Old Feb 22, 2013, 04:54 AM

I know there hasn't been any post lately on this topic but I have become a victim of the transmission plague. (All this is in Automatic Normal Mode) It first began with Reverse flashing on the display panel (after putting the car in reverse). After about a minute or two of flashing it would engage. Then while driving I would only have gears 1, 3, and 5. After about 30 minutes of driving I would have all 1-6. Then at time on the interstate (6th gear) I would try to accelerate to speed up or pass a car (not WOT) and the care would down shift to 5 gear. All these are safety issues and need to be reported. I found NHTSA (National Highway Traffic Safety Administration) hotline @ 1-888-327-4236 and launch my complaint. They informed me that if they get a number of reports about this particular problem they will do an investigation and I sure we all can agree that this is a well known problem. I spoke to a shop who works on them and they said there is not a set mileage that they will fail. It could fail at 200 miles or 60,000 Miles. So if you since there is a problem and the Dealership is telling you information, “oh It’s normal”, the tranny may go out doing the road and more likely your warranty won’t help. If the investigation proves that these are problematic, there may be some settlement to be had on those who reported it. So I would suggest if you HAVE / HAD a problem, report it to NHTSA. There has to be a pattern here because the symptoms are all similar. Wish everyone luck on these cars.
Old Feb 22, 2013, 05:42 AM

Originally Posted by Tiresomejunk
no the jerks from 1st to 2nd I know that is normal because of the dual clutch sst but mine is happening with starting in 1st gear and reverse. When you first start pressing the gas it hesitates/ small quick hops before actually going. I thought it was the tires but my tires are still good.
I remember getting that with the stock tune and, the GST basemap pretty much resolved it.
Old Feb 22, 2013, 08:01 AM
Evolving Member

have you ever changed your fluid and filter...
Old Mar 31, 2013, 07:31 AM

I find this happens to me when it's the car and the temp is cold (<40f) I leave my driveway onto a small uphill incline and if I give it too little gas it will do that, so you just need to give it a bit more gas than normal and it's fine.

I had my SST fluid changed because of this at one point, but it made no difference, and it's been fine otherwise.

Quick Reply: ralliart transmission might be faulty