Catback
Upper ic pipe
Intercooler
tune
Old Jul 31, 2010, 08:01 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SOG RA
Honestly, I would say start with the exhaust. Thats what I did. Hes why its a good idea to do that. You will gain horsepower, increase airflow from the turbo, and you wont need a tune after doing a full turbo back, catback, whatever. That way, you have time to get the tune that you want. What I am trying to say is, you go out and get an intake, your going to need a tune immediately. For the money, with a tune, I think an exhaust nets more gain, and helps the car overall. But, essentially its up to you. The direction you take the car with mods is what separates your car from the next.

No matter what, you are going to get different answers from different people on this...exactly because of what I said above. There is no right way to go when first modding your car. As long as your not putting on parts that are going to destroy your car, its a step in the right direction. If you really want the best answer to this, do some research on parts your interested in, see which one appeals to you the most and go with it.
i had problems with my last car going full turbo back without a tune. on a cold day when the air is nice and dense, the AFR's read super lean. this is because now your turbo isn't restricted and you'll be hitting peak boost earlier. your factory maps won't compensate for the extra boost at earlier rpm.

i'd never do full turbo back without a tune again, but that's my personal experience.
Old Jul 31, 2010, 08:08 PM
Evolving Member

mine was...

aem intake
ams dp
rre rally cat
greddy se cbe
perrin boost controller

318whp 317tq tuned by sean at fftec

next mods... ams fmic, ams uicp, ams licp

Last edited by EvlEvoIXSE; Jul 31, 2010 at 08:11 PM.
Old Jul 31, 2010, 08:48 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by mikesim
i had problems with my last car going full turbo back without a tune. on a cold day when the air is nice and dense, the AFR's read super lean. this is because now your turbo isn't restricted and you'll be hitting peak boost earlier. your factory maps won't compensate for the extra boost at earlier rpm.

i'd never do full turbo back without a tune again, but that's my personal experience.

and what car was this?
Old Aug 1, 2010, 12:22 AM
Evolving Member

^ ya as far as i understand our cars are intelligent enough to read the difference and compensate our A/F ratio and what not. so we shouldnt have any problems but always better to tune anyways. I will be heading for a tune once i get the downpipe the rest of the IC piping as well as the larger IC itself
Old Aug 1, 2010, 05:46 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Smokahontus
and what car was this?
89 RHD Silvia CA18DET. when i got the car, it had a 3" catback and i decided to get a bell mouth up pipe, downpipe and test pipe. the factory narrow band kept throwing a cel so i put in a wideband to get some real data, and took it to the dyno after a few more mods.
Old Aug 1, 2010, 06:37 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i dont know about all the boost pill power and everything yet its next on my list of multiple upgrades but with an UR catback exhaust and a drop in k&n filter i ran a 13.8 1/4 Mile next on the list of improvements bov, boost pill, oversize intercooler and pipes, down pipe, cobb access port and tune
Old Aug 1, 2010, 10:02 PM
Evolving Member

I went :

Drop in
Ams Catback
GST 93 oct + bp base map.

My next mods will be in this order :

Evo X Fmic + Ets or Ams Uicp (not sure on the pipes yet)
New pads and rotors @ 30k...9k to go
Swift springs when there ready
Ams HFC or Test pipe (no emissions by me
Down pipe
Bov
and finally a Custom Tune.

Its up to you on the way you want to mod your car and what you do first. I personally needed to hear my car so a catback was quickly installed.

How are you driving your car? Track, autoX, drag or daily driving???

My only recommendations would be to focus on the RA's major weaknesses first. Brakes, suspension and cooling are its downside. Easy fix is new pads and rotors + maybe new brake lines, Springs or coilovers and swaybars and an evo x fmic.

Just my thoughts.

Old Aug 2, 2010, 12:23 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
also if you have the money available you should consider a brake man front and rear brake kit i will be getting one in a couple months should work amazing for the extra stopping power
Old Aug 2, 2010, 10:57 AM
Evolved Member

EVO X Turbo kit, EVO X IC PIPES and IC.
TUNE

Go straight for 300whp looking stock and sounding stock.
Old Aug 2, 2010, 12:01 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Bom's Evo
EVO X Turbo kit, EVO X IC PIPES and IC.
TUNE

Go straight for 300whp looking stock and sounding stock.

I do like that idea!! WHat would the going rate be for a used Evo X turbo?
Old Aug 2, 2010, 03:59 PM
Evolving Member

I've seen X turbos going for the 250 range but you need more than just the turbo. I can't remember off the top of my head but there is a Sticky for an X turbo swap. I think a stock X turbo and fmic swap plus a custom tune would run you about a $1000 if not more. Maybe even closer to $2000.
Old Aug 3, 2010, 07:51 AM
Evolved Member

I bought my evo x manifold, turbo, o2 housing all still intact for $500 with 5k miles on it.
I bought a EVO X FMIC and all evo x stock pipes and air box for $200
Also bought a MMCS Navi for 900.

I ordered all the additional parts for the turbo install which was about 300 with extra oil filters and misc stuff.

I bought it as a package so it was a great deal. I've only installed the Navi, FMIC and pipes as of right now.

Just need to find a good weekend for installing the turbo kit. Because the turbo is by the firewall it doesn't look fun to install like on the EVO 8/9's. Those were so easy to install new turbo kits.
Old Aug 3, 2010, 08:11 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Bom's Evo
I bought my evo x manifold, turbo, o2 housing all still intact for $500 with 5k miles on it.
I bought a EVO X FMIC and all evo x stock pipes and air box for $200
Also bought a MMCS Navi for 900.

I ordered all the additional parts for the turbo install which was about 300 with extra oil filters and misc stuff.

I bought it as a package so it was a great deal. I've only installed the Navi, FMIC and pipes as of right now.

Just need to find a good weekend for installing the turbo kit. Because the turbo is by the firewall it doesn't look fun to install like on the EVO 8/9's. Those were so easy to install new turbo kits.

Very cool. And very lucky!!!
Old Aug 3, 2010, 12:54 PM
Evolving Member

You can find all the parts needed for the swap here.

For me, the total for parts is around $1000. I still haven't decided if I'm going to install myself or have someone do it for me. If I have one of the local places do it, they're charging between $600-750 for the install and $400-500 for the tune.

Quick Reply: Order of upgrade path