Cobb Basemaps
41.67%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

GST Basemap VS Cobb AP

Search this Thread

Old Jul 31, 2010, 07:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GST Basemap VS Cobb AP

Was just wondering on what everyones opinion is between using the GST tunes with a evotune display adn the Cobb access port. I just bought the AP and am thinking it was the wrong decision for the money.
Old Jul 31, 2010, 08:48 PM
Evolved Member

It all depends on what you want to do. If your fine with a cookie cutter type map, you dont have a laptop, and you dont want to be able to blow up your car then the AP makes sense.

If you want the ability to get a custom tune, have a laptop, and are comfortable knowing that if you mess up you can blow up your car then the tactrix flashing is what you want.

GST providing free maps makes the tactrix solution a lot more desirable and reduces the possibility of screwing something up.

In reality the AP and Tactrix options are not that far apart when in comes to price. The cable and laptop will put you close to 500+, unless you have the laptop already.
Old Aug 1, 2010, 09:11 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i've got an AP an i like being able to switch between economy mode and the staged maps as i please.. plus having the stock map and other multiple maps available on the AP is really nice.

plus the tuner i go to uses the Cobb protune software or whatever it is so when i get a full tune done oncei get my intake and everything else installed and then it gets loaded into my AP...

i'd say it would come down to conveince and your knowledge of tuning... and since mine is zero i went with the AP and let some one with experience tune the car
Old Aug 1, 2010, 10:52 AM
Evolved Member

I love my Cobb and its abilities to log performance, data, etc. I talked to Cobb this week and they will be working on new maps for the Ralliart very soon. In my opinion, after this addition, even better. Yes, the maps are OTS, but if it really bothers you, get a protune. Dont wanna wait for the OTS maps Cobb is going to release in the future with fmic, etc, get a protune.
Old Aug 3, 2010, 04:09 PM
Evolving Member

I would just like to point out that you can make your own maps with a Cobb AP as well. Info can be found here: AccessTUNER Race

Oh, and Cobb FTW!
Old Aug 3, 2010, 05:13 PM
Evolved Member

^right, downloaded it two weeks ago. It has a lot of resources as well as allowing you to tune yourself. You could also use the software to get an etune done.
Old Aug 7, 2010, 11:07 AM
Evolved Member

looks like the only 5 people using the cobb posted.
Old Aug 7, 2010, 01:29 PM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I truly feel Bryan from GST is one of the BEST ECU tuners in the country for these platforms.

cb
Old Aug 8, 2010, 07:45 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by CBRD
I truly feel Bryan from GST is one of the BEST ECU tuners in the country for these platforms.

cb
agreed! GST also won the 2010 Modifed Mag Tuner Shootout (3 years running now). Their ECU/TCU tuning is undeniably one of the best in the continent.

/shameless plug.

i'm using Taxtrix/Laptop and GST 91 octane + boost pill V1 tune.

everyone mentions that the Cobb AP can switch tunes on the fly, but you can do the same with Tactrix and ECUtune. in fact your options are endless, not just the two or 3 AP tunes that are out there. technically you can load anyone's RA roms. GST has stock boost + boost pill, 91 octane, 93 octane V1 and V2 tunes, with lots of frequent updates and huge user/test base so it's constantly evolving.
Old Aug 8, 2010, 11:12 AM
Evolved Member

Thats the common misconception about the AP. You can make your own tune if you want, with the free software. You can tune your car by yourself. I think this is a very cool feature because I am looking to learn how to tune myself, access tuner provides tips and makes it easier, especially when using the logging feature of the AP, which, lets not forget, you can monitor wherever whenever. Its pretty nice being able to monitor boost, check your STFT, Intake air temp, rpms, and whatever else you want. Plus, Cobb is going to be coming out with some new tunes soon, ones we have been waiting for.
Old Aug 9, 2010, 01:50 PM

Yea you can monitor your data at any point with the Cobb AP but the same could be done with the use of an EvoScan which costs half the price. So there is an option in both cases to get the freedownloads to let you tune yourself as well as ots maps for both so the question comes down to which function better. I keep having a problem with my AP where it freezes and stops working. The last time this happened it wouldn't even turn back on when reconnected like it usually does. Another benifit to using the GST is the fact that bryan is working on the transmition as well as the engine and trying to unlock the features of the MR.
Old Aug 9, 2010, 01:53 PM
Evolved Member

I think everyone is going to be surprised by Cobb pretty soon.
Old Aug 9, 2010, 01:54 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 72 Likes on 52 Posts
Originally Posted by CBRD

cb
+1
Old Aug 9, 2010, 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by MEOIT
Yea you can monitor your data at any point with the Cobb AP but the same could be done with the use of an EvoScan which costs half the price. So there is an option in both cases to get the freedownloads to let you tune yourself as well as ots maps for both so the question comes down to which function better. I keep having a problem with my AP where it freezes and stops working. The last time this happened it wouldn't even turn back on when reconnected like it usually does. Another benifit to using the GST is the fact that bryan is working on the transmition as well as the engine and trying to unlock the features of the MR.

I believe they released an update for the '10s where they acknowledged this happening.