Notices

Cobb AP tune stage 2 boost target

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13, 2010, 05:04 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cobb AP tune stage 2 boost target

Hey guys,
This question is directed specifically to tuners, guys who know what they are talking about, and of course other AP owners. So I have a full tbe now, 3in all the way. Switched to the stage 2 Cobb AP map, I was peaking boost at 13psi, max. Switched back to stage 1, easily hit 18psi. Even switched back to stock map, hit 16psi very easy as well. Any reasonable explanation for this. Cobb says it could be an issue with my car, but that makes no sense to me. If its my car, how could I hit 18psi on stage 1 map, 16psi stock, and 13psi on stage 2 map? They kept telling me about the wgdc percentage and what it should be and if its maxed out its maxed out. It maxed out on all maps, but maxed out on the stage 2 map only yielded 13psi. Any help would be appreciated.
Old Aug 13, 2010, 07:51 PM
Evolving Member

Did you ever find your boost leak that you thought you found?
Old Aug 13, 2010, 08:12 PM
Evolved Member

No dont have a boost leak. I had the downpipe installed today, was really excited to finally run stage 2, but no dice. Its so weird. I dont know how its possible for me to easily hit 16psi on stock map, easily hit 18.5 on stage 1, but stage 2 I cant get over 13psi? I am bummed and very curious to find out why I cant hit boost targets. Called HB speed, tuner had never heard of that happening. Other than that, everyone just pointed me back to cust service line, they tell me its the car, which would be understandable if I wasnt hitting any boost targets on any maps. Anybody?
Old Aug 13, 2010, 09:04 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Does the Cobb Stage 2 require you to use a boost pill? Are you using one?
Old Aug 13, 2010, 09:11 PM
Evolved Member

I talked to cobb about that, they told me there is no pre-requisite to switch pills to run stage 2 and that its not common practice. Even if it was a boost pill, how would that explain me hitting 18.5psi on stage 1 and only hitting 13psi on stage 2. Its crazy, I was consistently hitting higher boost on the stock map then I was on stage 2, ughhh.
Old Aug 13, 2010, 09:16 PM

i'm possibly installing my tbe tomorrow and will switch to the stage 2 tune as well. I'll let you know if i find any difference.
Old Aug 13, 2010, 09:17 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
With a boost pill you can hit the same boost with lower duty cycle. If the duty cycle was lower for a boost pill, and you didn't have one, then you would not reach your target load.
Old Aug 13, 2010, 09:25 PM
Evolved Member

Thanks for the response piper, not sure I understand what your saying, I know you are talking about the wastegate duty cycle, but just not quite sure what you mean. If its any help, I monitored wgdc when running stage 2 and noticed that it was hitting 100% and holding at 13psi. Which is what it was doing with all the other maps as well at peak boost, then slowly tapering down. I just dont get why I could run higher boost, under the same load, with the stock and stage 1 maps. I know that for the Evo x to run stage 2 Cobb recommends removing the boost pill completely, but there is not mention of this for the RA.
Old Aug 14, 2010, 07:04 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by SOG RA
Thanks for the response piper, not sure I understand what your saying, I know you are talking about the wastegate duty cycle, but just not quite sure what you mean. If its any help, I monitored wgdc when running stage 2 and noticed that it was hitting 100% and holding at 13psi. Which is what it was doing with all the other maps as well at peak boost, then slowly tapering down. I just dont get why I could run higher boost, under the same load, with the stock and stage 1 maps. I know that for the Evo x to run stage 2 Cobb recommends removing the boost pill completely, but there is not mention of this for the RA.
SOG RA, I know how much you like Cobb from reading your numerous posts/threads over the last few months, but I really think you'd be a lot happier and make your life much easier if you did all the mods that you want to do and then go and get a custom tune based on those mods, rather than keep on trying to run these "canned" Cobb tunes that have never seemed to work exactly the way you had hoped. Anyway, suit yourself, it's just my opinion, but I think you'll be much happier in the end and save yourself a lot of this ongoing frustration.
Old Aug 14, 2010, 11:14 AM

Sog RA, I wanted to go the COBB route myself for various reasons (even posted about it). In the end I talked to a local tuner about it last week. The tuner is listed in these forums (and others) and seems to have a good reputation. We had a great talk while he was working and it turns out that a custom tune from him + AMS boost pill should fit my needs. I didn't know what was best to accomplish my performance goals until talking to him and seeing his shop. I'm getting my tune done Tuesday night and I'm hoping for the best.

I guess I'm trying to say I agree with Slee256 and think you should find a local tuner (maybe one that uses the COBB Tuning SW) and get a custom map done. I think having a COBB AP + custom tune using COBB SW provides the best of both worlds.
Old Aug 14, 2010, 11:22 AM
Evolved Member

Hey guys, I totally agree, in fact I am gettin a protune in a couple weeks. But, in the meantime, I wanted to run this map and still wanna figure out whats happening, so it doesnt happen when I get tuned.
Old Aug 14, 2010, 11:48 AM

btw...I'm jealous you have easy access to 93 gas. I do not (stuck at 91) and that was one of the biggest reasons I decided to not get an AP right out of the gate. That sucks about not getting the boost you should and let us know when you do get it figured out. Worst case is you troubleshoot with the tuner while you have it on a dyno. There are worse ways to spend a couple hours .
Old Aug 14, 2010, 01:03 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by SOG RA
Hey guys, I totally agree, in fact I am gettin a protune in a couple weeks. But, in the meantime, I wanted to run this map and still wanna figure out whats happening, so it doesnt happen when I get tuned.

When you install the stage 2 tune does it say on the tune "may require boost system alterations" or soemthing like that?

I know from stage 1 to stage 2 on the evo X you remove the boost pill.

It takes less then 10 minutes to switch it out, so your best bet is to give it a try.
Old Aug 14, 2010, 01:09 PM
Evolved Member

Yeah, I have talked with cobb about that. Its weird that you have to remove the boost pill on stage 2 with the X, but the ralliart is a no go on that...or any other mods/changes to boost restriction. Runuaround, did you have your boost pill swapped out or removed?
Old Aug 15, 2010, 07:59 PM
Evolved Member

Still nobody? Well, even though I am still running stage 1 with full tbe, logged a 0-60 time of 4.9s tonight! Woohoo, I have been trying to break 5s. Before I put the tbe on, I was running at the slowest 5.4, but could not break 5. I am going to take the car out tomorrow night and really hit it hard. 4.9s was done in Sport Manual. I am betting if I put it in Sport Auto I could hit 4.6ish. We will see.

Quick Reply: Cobb AP tune stage 2 boost target