Notices

Anyone buy the ams stage 3 mod

Search this Thread

Old Aug 15, 2010, 08:55 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone buy the ams stage 3 mod

It says it comes with the evo x swap and retune and all necessary things for it. How does it run and is it worth it? Thinking of going this route soon.
Old Aug 15, 2010, 12:36 PM
Account Disabled

there are numerous x swapped ralliarts now, myself included. Its a completely different car.

The swap can be done cheaper if you get the parts used, and have the tune done near you. But if you want new parts then the ams stage is the best way to go.
Old Aug 15, 2010, 02:09 PM
Evolving Member

^^^ agree I'm going that route in buying my stuff them getting it installed locally
Old Aug 15, 2010, 09:10 PM
Evolving Member

To be honest, I think finding a used stock X turbo is the way to go. I have seen them sell for as cheap as $250 with very low miles and in great condition. All other hardware needed for install is what I would purchase new.
Old Aug 15, 2010, 11:26 PM
Evolving Member

as much as i'd want an X turbo, i can't justify the additional cost for 50-60HP over the stock one with full bolt on mods. you'll bring the SST to the brink of breaking as well.

but if you did the x turbo and x fmic swap right off the bat and that's all you did, you'd have one killer sleeper, and probably cost you just a tad more than doing a full AMS turbo back.
Old Aug 15, 2010, 11:31 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by mikesim
as much as i'd want an X turbo, i can't justify the additional cost for 50-60HP over the stock one with full bolt on mods. you'll bring the SST to the brink of breaking as well.

but if you did the x turbo and x fmic swap right off the bat and that's all you did, you'd have one killer sleeper, and probably cost you just a tad more than doing a full AMS turbo back.

youll bring it to the brink of breaking hey? who has "Broken" it with the x turbo? Assumptions like that are what kill a community. There is no factual evidence proving that the x turbo tuned on our car has any negative effect at all. I myself am running 350 ft torque and havent seen an issue, which is alot more then any other x modded car is running, and they havent seen any problems either.

If you take the precautions, drive like you know how, and dont goof off in the car trying to neutral drop or somthing like that you will be fine.

If you really have a fear of it, getting the ams tranny cooler, a UR 4.5 inch intake, and the mishimoto rad installed will greatly reduce this "Chance" of "Breaking"
Old Aug 16, 2010, 02:47 PM
Evolving Member

^^^ agree plus how would it break the tranny anyway, if u think about it if u put the x turbo plus the necessities to put it on, then it would be a Evo gsr, (engine wise of course) since there are other differences, which we don't need to go on list of
Old Aug 17, 2010, 10:28 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by 2010 Rallihead
^^^ agree plus how would it break the tranny anyway, if u think about it if u put the x turbo plus the necessities to put it on, then it would be a Evo gsr, (engine wise of course) since there are other differences, which we don't need to go on list of
Engine-wise...The comparison has nothing to do with the 4b11t.

Transmission-wise...The transmission in the GSR is manual, therefore it cannot be compared to the SST.

Transmission-wise...Even though the SST found in the Evo MR and the RA are of the same basic makeup, the SST in the Evo MR has clutch packs and TCU programming different than the SST transmission found in the RA. As a result, assumptions cannot be made regarding SST transmission tolerances found in the RA based on the SST in the Evo MR.
Old Aug 17, 2010, 12:58 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Alterna
Engine-wise...The comparison has nothing to do with the 4b11t.

Transmission-wise...The transmission in the GSR is manual, therefore it cannot be compared to the SST.

Transmission-wise...Even though the SST found in the Evo MR and the RA are of the same basic makeup, the SST in the Evo MR has clutch packs and TCU programming different than the SST transmission found in the RA. As a result, assumptions cannot be made regarding SST transmission tolerances found in the RA based on the SST in the Evo MR.

The RA has clutch packs, you can use the same clutch pack upgrade for the MR for the RA by SSP. The only difference between the RA and MR is the final gear in the RA is larger for highway driving and TCU programming is different(no Super sport launch)
Old Aug 17, 2010, 01:15 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by bsvaton
The RA has clutch packs, you can use the same clutch pack upgrade for the MR for the RA by SSP. The only difference between the RA and MR is the final gear in the RA is larger for highway driving and TCU programming is different(no Super sport launch)

the programming differences far exceed just having not super sport mode my friend.

And everyone and their dog knows about the clutch packs.
Old Aug 17, 2010, 01:37 PM
Evolving Member

Yes, I am well aware the RA has a clutch pack...And "no" the clutch packs in the RA are different than the clutch packs in the MR.

Please read the underlined portion of my original sentence:
Even though the SST found in the Evo MR and the RA are of the same basic makeup, the SST in the Evo MR has clutch packs and TCU programming different than the SST transmission found in the RA.

In the sentence above, reference is made that, both the clutch packs as well as TCU programming differ between the two SST transmissions.

Furthermore, upgrading clutch packs is not being discussed. I can only surmise the previous poster assumes both SST transmissions are structurally identcal; therefore in their opinion, an Evo X turbo should cause no issue. I was merely stating that the two transmissions while similar in most respects, do have some critical differences.
Old Aug 17, 2010, 01:38 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Smokahontus
the programming differences far exceed just having not super sport mode my friend.

And everyone and their dog knows about the clutch packs.

Really because I when I spoke to the people at SSP he told me the only difference between the MR and the ralliart was the tcu, the final gear drive, and the mr actual has a forged crankshaft unlike the RA. I am buying the clutch pack upgrade for my RA in 3 weeks so I am curious to know this difference you are talking about because I would like to know if there is.

Last edited by bsvaton; Aug 17, 2010 at 01:41 PM.
Old Aug 17, 2010, 01:44 PM
Evolving Member

mr actual has a forged crankshaft unkile the RA
no...
Old Aug 17, 2010, 02:12 PM
Account Disabled

Really because I when I spoke to the people at SSP he told me the only difference between the MR and the ralliart was the tcu, the final gear drive, and the mr actual has a forged crankshaft unlike the RA. I am buying the clutch pack upgrade for my RA in 3 weeks so I am curious to know this difference you are talking about because I would like to know if there is.

the programming is alot more complex. SSP hasnt cracked the sst nor has anyone else. Until that point, i guess its all speculation, but regardless the differences are fairly noticable.
Old Aug 18, 2010, 09:43 AM
Evolving Member

I'm almost positive there is a post running around here somewhere that SSP confirmed the MR SST had larger clutch packs from the factory than the RA.

Quick Reply: Anyone buy the ams stage 3 mod