Notices

Performance Upgrade Path

Search this Thread

Old Aug 26, 2010, 06:53 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Performance Upgrade Path

So I'm almost at the end of what I want to role out in performance upgrades for my beloved RA (phase 2 is handling upgrades but lets not go there just yet).
Almost none of these parts are installed on the car as yet - I've currently just got a new air filter and version 1 of Bryan's brilliant GST base map.

The list of mods ready to throw on are as follows:
- Ultimate Racing 3" Turbo Back exhaust system
- ETS 3" Front Mount Intercooler
- T1R upper and lower intercooler piping
- GST Boost Pill
- GST Stage 2 base map
- Evo IX Metal BPV

I'm looking for advice from those in the know about how I should best approach these upgrades. A staggered approach that would allow me to progressively monitor the changes one at a time or book a day at my local dyno, install parts and tune the base map with the installs in one hit?

Cheers!

Last edited by Griffin5; Aug 27, 2010 at 04:07 PM. Reason: typos
Old Aug 26, 2010, 07:04 AM
Evolved Member

You will see the biggest bump with the pill and the V2 tune. The intercooler and piping should be added next, as they don't require a retune. Lastly, i would install the exhaust either at the shop or right before. The TBE combined with the GST map can cause the ECU to run a bit lean, so you will want to be careful about that.
Old Aug 26, 2010, 12:12 PM
Evolving Member

I think your headed in the right direction. I would reccomend installing a AFR gauge along with a boost gauge. Safety first! If you plan to keep stock turbo. I also recommend a evo 9 or evo X metal bov. That will help hold boost thru 3500-5200 rpm range. I can find the charts showing a X bov holding 1-2psi higher at those rpms vs the stock plastic one if need be.

Are you gonna add an intake to that list?

But if you can you should try to install everything on a weekend and get it tuned that monday. If you have to drive it, only for a short time you should stay out of boost till it can get tuned.

Let us know how everything goes!
Old Aug 27, 2010, 06:46 AM
Evolving Member

+1 for the AFR gauge with wideband sensor. The more power you produce the more important it is to monitor everything!
Old Aug 27, 2010, 09:44 AM
Evolving Member

Also if you don't plan to bolt on a bigger turbo you can save some money by getting a stock X ic. Its more than enough for our small turbo
Old Aug 27, 2010, 04:19 PM
Evolving Member

Thanks for the feedback guys. I forgot to to include in that list of mods an Evo IX BPV that I've got coming in a few days. First post has been changed.

As I don't have the tools or the space to install everything myself it looks like I might get it installed at the shop. Interesting tip on the AFR gauge and boost gauge. I must admit, they are not something I have really spent much time researching to date. I would be putting a lot of faith in my tuner shop to balance out my mods to the GST v2 base map. I agree the more I know about it, the better I'll be so I'll start looking into them before booking a day on the dyno.

Bryan, if you are reading this I'd like to hear your opinion. Looks like you have similar mods at the moment (with the exception of the intake).

@Cataclysm: Yeah would have went down the Evo X FMIC path however I'm in Australia and they rarely become available. When you consider shipping costs for a 2nd hand item from the states, I was better off going new.

Cheers.
Old Aug 27, 2010, 05:50 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by jkennedy293
You will see the biggest bump with the pill and the V2 tune. The intercooler and piping should be added next, as they don't require a retune. Lastly, i would install the exhaust either at the shop or right before. The TBE combined with the GST map can cause the ECU to run a bit lean, so you will want to be careful about that.
When you say that the intercooler and piping will not require a retune, are you referring to being able to install those with the V2 tune already loaded? It was my understanding that a tune was needed with the addition of lower and upper intercooler pipes and a different intercooler...