Notices

Frustrated with tuning

Search this Thread

Old Aug 30, 2010, 09:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Frustrated with tuning

Updated to this thread: https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/09...ml#post8631652

I just got back from a professional tuner who told me he could give my car a tune. It turns out mine was the first Ralliart he had ever worked on. I gave him the benefit of the doubt and worked with him to get through the trouble codes and other research.

He had many issues tuning it and the last straw was that it appeared that the clutch was slipping around 6,000 rpm tonight. It would run fine up to about 6,000 and then the engine would rev up but not spin the wheels on the dyno. This was after many dyno runs (3 hrs the first night and about 2.5 hours worth tonight).

We went back and forth over what could be done and he stated he couldn't do anything with my car. He flashed it back to stock and I went home (K&N drop in filter is the only mod I have on it now). The transmission hasn't slipped for me but now I'm stuck with a cone filter intake (SRI mod) and AMS boost pill that I can't use. I'm afraid to do anything to it now and I'm worried that my clutch is toast.

I'm open to suggestions on what I can safely do for tuning and what I can do about the clutch cause at this point I'm out $400 and have absolutely nothing to show for it.

Thanks

Last edited by Rough 01; Aug 31, 2010 at 05:15 PM.
Old Aug 30, 2010, 10:03 PM
Evolving Member

you paid him for not tuning your car?

I have some great non-tuning skills at not tuning your car for sale, i will even do it for half the price. pm me!

But really spend $150 Get a tactrix cable and free gst base flash. Then when you wanna go from there you can always contact ams,ttp,gst or any of the tuners on here and they will hook you up with a map for the mods you have.

Since you are in the area.. you could also ask the guys on the Colorado Evolution forums about the best tuner in town.

Last edited by Jyrk; Aug 30, 2010 at 10:07 PM.
Old Aug 30, 2010, 10:12 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Not trying to be rude here but why in the world would you pay him for not tuning your car. Furthermore, if he's a respectable guy, how does he sleep at night knowing he charged you for a product he didn't deliver. I think that dude owes you your money back!
Old Aug 30, 2010, 10:14 PM

I paid him after the first 3hr session and when I left the car ran fine (and I was very happy). The next day the SES lights and limp mode started in. The next 2 weeks was full of me researching DTC codes, him trying to fix the car off the dyno (made it worse), then disabling the DTC but car still not acting right (still bad tune). I had to wait on parts (the EVO X MAF housing pipe) and then his schedule was full until tonight. Spent another 3hrs at his shop to be told that he might charge me for tonight as well.

I told him to put it back to stock and we'll call it even since I doubt I can get my money back at this point AND he had given up on the car. He said he had the best tune on it he could due to the clutch issues (at least I think it's the clutch). Then took it for a test ride around the block only to have the SES light come on within 1 length of a block. We pulled the codes and they were P1870 and P1871. That was when he stated he couldn't do anything with it.

The entire reason I went with a professional tuner was to reduce the risk of breaking my favorite car I've ever owned. Now it appears that wasn't the case.

I'm really frustrated and depressed right now since what was supposed to be fun has turned into disaster.
Old Aug 30, 2010, 10:23 PM
Evolving Member

im very curious on why you had to wait for the evo maf pipe
Old Aug 30, 2010, 10:26 PM

I was told that one of the reasons that the first tune didn't produce as much hp as hoped for was due to air restrictions. There is a SRI mod on these forums for making your own intake (similar to the AMS). It uses the EVO X MAF housing pipe and a cone filter of your choosing.

The tuner said he would wait for that to come in before we did the final tune on it. Turns out it didn't make any difference in the outcome. (but at least it bolted right up without any issues)
Old Aug 30, 2010, 10:47 PM
Evolving Member

wow.. ahhaha. your tuner is clueless, you should be happy you didn't walk out with blown engine.
Old Aug 31, 2010, 11:58 AM
Evolving Member

I'd definitly make it very clear to other people around town this guy has no clue what he is doing!
Old Aug 31, 2010, 12:17 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
yikes, sorry to hear about ur bad experience. This is also a worry of mine to get tuned which is why im planning on just doing flashes my self via tactrix. If i were you i would contact local evo/ralliart owners and find the right tuner to do it right or simply do it ur self
Old Aug 31, 2010, 01:25 PM

Look for a tuner in your area thats known and that have tuned RA's and Evo's before, that was your first mistake let a guy that is stupid enough to admit he has never tuned a car like yours to tune it, as other member said consider yourself lucky he didn't blow your engine. GL hope you find a good tuner or start reading and learning how to tune it yourself.

Last edited by OMEGA PHX; Sep 1, 2010 at 10:19 AM.
Old Aug 31, 2010, 01:25 PM
Evolved Member

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
This reinforces my decision to be GSTV2/boost pill-ified as soon as i get her.
Old Aug 31, 2010, 02:44 PM

Sorry to hear about your bad experience, Rough_01.

But we all should learned that just because someone claims to be a professional tuner, it doesn't mean that he has tuned a specific type of car like us.

That's why we have a community like EvoM to get help and learned from each other.

If you are modding the intake and boost pill, make sure you tuned the car right away with a Real professional tuner.

Happy Tuning...
Old Aug 31, 2010, 04:55 PM

Updated to this thread: https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/09...ml#post8631652