Notices

Sport-auto vs Sport-manual

Search this Thread

Old Aug 31, 2010, 12:22 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sport-auto vs Sport-manual

A while back I had my rom tweaked a bit with respect to shifting. I almost always drive in Sport manual mode. Shifts felt good. Recently I did some logging of a run through the gears and it is obvious that it shifts much faster in Sport-auto. From the logs it can be seen where I shift it, and then the rpm still climbs while shifting is in progress. In fact I shifted from 1st at just over 6200rpm and it hit the rev limiter at 6800! A log from Sport-auto shows much less rpm spike. Particlarly between 1st to 2nd. I'm thinking that maybe just the Sport-auto shifting was adjusted.

I wondered if others feel a difference in shifting with Sport-auto vs Sport-manual.

I think a updated release of ECUflash is long overdue. We need more tables!
Old Aug 31, 2010, 01:16 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I haven't felt much of a difference. Mine is standard from the factory. The only time I feel a rough shift is when I've just pulled out of the driveway and the shift from 1st to 2nd takes a little bit longer and it can be a little rough.

-Ralliheart
Old Aug 31, 2010, 01:22 PM
Evolving Member

I guess I'm speaking about high load/rpm shifting. More a question of speed of shift rather than smoothness. I'd be all for a lightning fast shift that wasn't smooth as butter under those circumstances.
Old Aug 31, 2010, 02:59 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Piper747
I guess I'm speaking about high load/rpm shifting. More a question of speed of shift rather than smoothness. I'd be all for a lightning fast shift that wasn't smooth as butter under those circumstances.
I know exactly what you are describing and yes I noticed this myself. I thought for a while I was just imagining it. I guess I really felt a sharper shift in sport-auto.
Old Aug 31, 2010, 03:07 PM
Evolving Member

I'll post a couple of logs when I get home that clearly illustrate this.
Old Aug 31, 2010, 04:18 PM
Evolving Member

I have also hit the rev limiter while shifting. When it happened I shifted at 6500 in sport manual and hit my rev limiter at 7100. In sport auto I have never hit my rev limiter but it shifts at the stock settings. Sport auto will shift at about 6200.
Old Aug 31, 2010, 05:01 PM
Evolving Member

This is not where it hit the limiter, but you can see where I asked it to shift and how the rpm climbed after. The left side is sport-auto, the right is sport-manual. It's really only an issue if first gear.

It may have something to do with a slight rolling start on the left, to stomping it from a stand still on the right. You can see where the clutch engaged in both pics. All I am saying is that there must be different tables for the sst for sport-auto or sport-manual. One day all will become clear

Last edited by Piper747; Aug 31, 2010 at 05:07 PM.
Old Aug 31, 2010, 06:32 PM
Evolved Member

yep, i've noticed the same - it only seems to make the noticeable difference when WOT - so i've learnt to adjust my gear change earlier to take that into account.
Old Aug 31, 2010, 09:57 PM
Evolved Member

Same here. for fun 3k-4.5k i'll shift, but for more aggressive stop light to stoplight driving I'll leave it in auto. It just seems to be ready for whats next in auto. Usually the TC will have the next gear ready for the other clutch to engage. Maybe the tcu falls to a different program for manual where it doesn't have any gears in standby, cuz it obviously don't know what your gonna do. so that would explain why it would take longer. Just a thought.
Old Aug 31, 2010, 10:28 PM
Evolving Member

Good point. That may have something to do with it. Although, with my foot mashed to the floor and rpm quickly rising, I would hope the ecu could predict a shift to 2nd. Plus, that's the only option when in first. I'm again falling in love with the SST since using sport-auto again. I don't think I used it all summer. I am thinking of adding another resonator to quiet my exhaust though. That is one reason I hadn't used sport-auto much.