Notices

Project Tarmac Black

Search this Thread

Old Sep 15, 2010, 08:30 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Rocky_RA
>Cataclysm< Thanks and keep me posted on that if you can please. I am about to order mine but I dont want to get rid of my cover.
I will but if I were you I would get the ams uicp. Im sure i wouldn't of had any fitment issues with the ams uicp. The UR licp fits great but the UR uicp doesn't with a evoX fmic. Which UR said it would fit perfect....
Old Sep 15, 2010, 08:44 PM
Evolving Member

I just remembered from another post someone called UR and they traded his upper i/c pipe for one that fits the evo x ic. Did you tell them you had one when you ordered yours? I can't find the post tho, it would help alot because i'm pretty sure thats what he wrote.
Old Sep 15, 2010, 08:51 PM
Evolving Member

I just remembered from another post someone called UR and they traded his upper i/c pipe for one that fits the evo x ic. Did you tell them you had one when you ordered yours? I can't find the post tho, it would help alot because i'm pretty sure thats what he wrote.
Yes, i talked to darrell and told him i have a 09 ra with a stock evoX fmic. He said he would send the correct pipes and fittings.
Old Sep 15, 2010, 08:55 PM
Evolving Member

Maybe someone made a mistake in shipping. If not, it is a problem they should be able to fix.
Old Sep 15, 2010, 09:46 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 03chi-town0Z
the x valve, especially if "crushed", has been shown to hold higher boost levels much better than the stock bpv. it's also a touch more "vocal" for those into the whoosh noise
What do you mean by a "crushed" Evo X BOV??? Should I run it over with my car a few times before installing it or something.....
Old Sep 15, 2010, 10:09 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Piper747
I'm aware of it's superiority under higher boost situations. I was just wondering if this mod is precautionary or if there was a noticeable difference, and in what respect, while still using the stock turbo.

You guys both demonstrate Boomba's great tuning. Nice job on the numbers!
I just installed a Evo X BOV and a Cosworth filter at the same time, and I can't detect a noticable difference, at least in the "butt dyno" anyway....
Old Sep 15, 2010, 11:57 PM
Evolving Member

Maybe someone made a mistake in shipping. If not, it is a problem they should be able to fix.
I hoping so. They also sent me blue couplers for the licp instead of black but that could of been my fault
Old Sep 16, 2010, 12:02 AM
Evolving Member

double post

Last edited by >Cataclysm<; Sep 16, 2010 at 12:08 AM.
Old Sep 16, 2010, 12:08 AM
Evolving Member

Updated first post with a video of a dyno pull.

I could not post a chart today. My scanner will not work with Windows 7 64 bit so when I have the time tomorrow I will boot to a different OS. I probably should of waited till I had everything before posting but I am to impatient.
Old Sep 16, 2010, 03:49 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Piper747
I'm aware of it's superiority under higher boost situations. I was just wondering if this mod is precautionary or if there was a noticeable difference, and in what respect, while still using the stock turbo.

You guys both demonstrate Boomba's great tuning. Nice job on the numbers!
yeah, sorry if it seemed like i was trying to teach you specifically, i know you've been here awhile and been doing a lot of things on your own already, i was just trying to state general information for those just joining and whatnot.

but the part i was trying to get across that i guess i wasnt clear enough is the part about crushing the bov, as slee asked about as well. i drove around on a street tune with the x bov installed as a precautionary measure more than anything else. then before the dyno-tune session i "crushed my valve". see the picture in post 13 for the easiest explanation here: https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...asy-works.html

and i have to say that i realize it was likely more of a mental thing than anything, but it definitely felt more responsive, like the boost was building more quickly/smoothly and didnt taper as quickly. the car also "felt" more sure of itself, like the power being made was more suited to what the car should feel like. the car also sounded better, not just the recirc noise, but the whine of the turbo spooling and the overall growl of the motor just seemed more steady, again the only way i can describe it is that it was "more sure of itself" like how you carry yourself that much better when you're sure of yourself. but with the potential to hold more boost and cause issues with an already aggressive tune i didnt want to push the car too hard without a retune compensating for the extra airflow that could come earlier in the powerband and cause the car to run overly lean and cause damage.

again, this was after already having a street tune done. and again, this is all "butt-dyno" type analysis so i really can't say that this is absolutely for sure the truth of what was happening since our minds tend to trick us into believing things are different simply because we've done something differently. but even if that was the case, i'm happy with the end result because i did enjoy the car that much more, even if it was only in my head. lol.
Old Sep 16, 2010, 07:18 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks for the feedback. I think I will defiantly try an evo bov. I think mine is leaking at peak boost anyway.
Old Sep 16, 2010, 07:31 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 03chi-town0Z
yeah, sorry if it seemed like i was trying to teach you specifically, i know you've been here awhile and been doing a lot of things on your own already, i was just trying to state general information for those just joining and whatnot.

but the part i was trying to get across that i guess i wasnt clear enough is the part about crushing the bov, as slee asked about as well. i drove around on a street tune with the x bov installed as a precautionary measure more than anything else. then before the dyno-tune session i "crushed my valve". see the picture in post 13 for the easiest explanation here: https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...asy-works.html

and i have to say that i realize it was likely more of a mental thing than anything, but it definitely felt more responsive, like the boost was building more quickly/smoothly and didnt taper as quickly. the car also "felt" more sure of itself, like the power being made was more suited to what the car should feel like. the car also sounded better, not just the recirc noise, but the whine of the turbo spooling and the overall growl of the motor just seemed more steady, again the only way i can describe it is that it was "more sure of itself" like how you carry yourself that much better when you're sure of yourself. but with the potential to hold more boost and cause issues with an already aggressive tune i didnt want to push the car too hard without a retune compensating for the extra airflow that could come earlier in the powerband and cause the car to run overly lean and cause damage.

again, this was after already having a street tune done. and again, this is all "butt-dyno" type analysis so i really can't say that this is absolutely for sure the truth of what was happening since our minds tend to trick us into believing things are different simply because we've done something differently. but even if that was the case, i'm happy with the end result because i did enjoy the car that much more, even if it was only in my head. lol.
Shoot, I hope you're not saying that a re-tune is needed when you switch from the stock plastic BOV to the Evo metal BOV, because I definitely wasn't planning on spending that kind of money again....
Old Sep 16, 2010, 08:45 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
no, i just meant with the tune i was running with a potential boost leak from the stock x bpv, i just felt safer not pushing it too hard until the retune. i was already planning on a retune anyway because it was only street-tuned before and i later had it fine-tuned on the dyno with the upgraded bpv since on the original tune the datalogging showed dips in the boost curve at high pressures and what i would consider fairly severe taper even for our tiny turbo along with inconsistent afr's (nothing dangerous, just not as smooth as i wanted). after the tune on the dyno with the crushed valve afr's cleared up and we were able to push 4-5 more lbs boost at and just after peak before hitting torque limit and taper was much more slow, though some of that could simply be coming from the fact that it was a dyno-based tune where you can be a lot more accurate and specific with your changes than you are able to on the street.

the only issue i could see by changing from the oem ra to the evo bpv is if you are already running an aggressive tune that is subjecting the original valve to verifiable leakage. if the tune is based on a known leaking valve, putting on one that doesnt leak could create boost spikes and other dangerous conditions

Last edited by 03chi-town0Z; Sep 16, 2010 at 08:48 AM.
Old Sep 16, 2010, 09:24 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
When Devin tunes cars he tunes them conservative enough to compensate for small changes. If you need re assurance its as simple as a phone call away, Strictly Modified's and Devin's advice is always free!

>Cataclysm< - Im glad your happy with the car and im looking forward to working with you in the future!

-Cisco
Old Sep 16, 2010, 10:48 PM
Evolving Member

Dyno Chart and Video

UPDATE:

Here is the dyno chart and a video of a dyno pull

Mods:

Ams catback
Ams testpipe
Ams intake
UR uicp & licp
EvoX Stock Fmic & bpv

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fR6Jq1JWpoU

Last edited by >Cataclysm<; Sep 17, 2010 at 10:10 PM.

Quick Reply: Project Tarmac Black