Notices

SST Tranny Fluid change

Search this Thread

Old Oct 17, 2010, 06:52 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ralli time
im at like 24k and i was just tuned to an evo x turbo and i put down 350 but my tranny was slipping! so because of this thread im doing a tranny flush tomorrow and a tranny cooling kit wishing to hit 350 wish me luck guys
Yeah, most likely the filter is so dirty one of your clutches isn't getting full pressure.
Old Oct 18, 2010, 08:48 AM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Bom's Evo
Mitsubishi Diaqueen SSTF-1 Transmission Fluid C0002610 2 $230.00

Mitsubishi Evo X MR & Ralliart Transmission Filter 2513A040 1 $120.00

$350 Total

I guess I was a little low on my estimation. $350 was the total at fred beans. Please Shop mitsubishiparts.net and fredbeanparts.com. They usually run deals with discounts or free shipping.
There's a 10% order discount going on @ mitsubishparts.net right now, bringing the price down to $285.38+shipping (discount code: "xL9eey3S"). I'm going to be ordering my fluids when I get home from work, and I highly suggest anyone else considering a fluid change to order the materials before the discount ends!

Thanks again for all the info Bom, .
Old Oct 18, 2010, 11:26 AM

Does anyone know if Royal Purple Transmission fluid will work for these trannies?
Old Oct 18, 2010, 11:47 AM
Evolved Member

Nice write up I have 24K right now. I am probably going to see how everything goes through winter and go from there. So far I don't have any issues I just want to keep it that way.
Old Oct 18, 2010, 12:35 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by cstrainsgun
Does anyone know if Royal Purple Transmission fluid will work for these trannies?
It probably will work, but I find that the fluids that are proven to work are OEM, WillALL, SSP. I've never really trusted Royal Purple with any fluids.
Old Oct 18, 2010, 05:18 PM
Evolved Member

Great write up BOM. I'm at 20K right now so i'll be doing this soon.
Old Oct 22, 2010, 06:58 PM

Just the filter?

If the filter gets clogged up, would it be alright to just swap out the filter and not do the fluid as well?

I'm just thinking I'm at 10k miles now, do just the filter and at 20k do fluid and filter (then 30k just filter, etc...)
Old Oct 23, 2010, 12:24 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I wonder if just swapping the filter would have almost as good of results? You said the filter was clogged up pretty bad.... did you happen to save a sample of the old transmission fluid to send off for analysis? If you did, then send a sample to blackstone labs so we can find out how bad / worn out your fluid was. I have a hard time going by looks on any oil

Thanks,

Keith
Old Oct 23, 2010, 09:01 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Fourdoor
I wonder if just swapping the filter would have almost as good of results? You said the filter was clogged up pretty bad.... did you happen to save a sample of the old transmission fluid to send off for analysis? If you did, then send a sample to blackstone labs so we can find out how bad / worn out your fluid was. I have a hard time going by looks on any oil

Thanks,

Keith
I recycled the fluid right away. I hate keeping all that stuff in the garage. Next time I'll send it, but it probably won't give the same results as it wasn't the first change. The filter is pure crap too. It looks and feels like the stock drop in filter submerged in the transmission fluid...Plus, at 100 each I wouldn't want to spend 100 bucks at every 15k and then another 100 + 200 for a new filter and fluid next. I'd shoot myself and change cars if it came to that.

Last edited by Bom's Evo; Oct 23, 2010 at 09:50 AM.
Old Oct 23, 2010, 10:44 AM
Evolved Member

Aren't there other transmission filter out there that we can use?
Old Oct 24, 2010, 12:05 AM
Evolved Member

I recycled the fluid right away. I hate keeping all that stuff in the garage. Next time I'll send it, but it probably won't give the same results as it wasn't the first change. The filter is pure crap too. It looks and feels like the stock drop in filter submerged in the transmission fluid...Plus, at 100 each I wouldn't want to spend 100 bucks at every 15k and then another 100 + 200 for a new filter and fluid next. I'd shoot myself and change cars if it came to that.
I must be confused here... why would you rather spend 300 every time instead of 100 one time and 300 the next alternating?

If you want clean fluid at lower cost this may be the way to go:

http://www.sspperformance.com/produc...roducts_id=153

Keith
Old Oct 25, 2010, 08:57 AM
Evolved Member

That would probably be the best bet having an extra filter. That might let the fluid could go further.
Old Oct 26, 2010, 03:02 PM

Filter?

I just wanted to give everyone my feedback on the tranny fluid change I did over the weekend.

I have 31k miles and my shifting was acting very strange. Some gears would slip... I had a couple codes about pressure on one of the clutches. So I decided to change the fluid and presto! Everything is smooth like when I first got the car. It shifts very smooth and I can go crazy on the shifting again. I forgot how fast this thing shifts.

The filter was very dirty and I could see many metal particles in there. I believe my issue was a clogged filter. The transmission fluid was extremely dirty compared to how it looks new out of the can. The fluid was on its 2nd winter season with lots of trips to the mountains (snowboarding).

I suggest everyone to try to make your first change earlier than 30k miles. Perhaps 20k or 25k max. I hope the next change will be cleaner just because the 1st change has all the breaking in junk in it.

1. The parts cost a lot!! It was $350 for 8L and a new filter. OEM fluids and filter. Fred beans is where I bought it.

2. If you can change your oil you can change your transmission fluid.

3. Like new shifts!!

How To:

1. Basically, I start out and raised the whole car off the ground on 4 jack stands.
2. Removed B splash guard for drain plug access (20 or so pop rivets) and the drivers side wheel splash guard for filter access (4 plastic rivets).
3. Removed the Air box and Battery. I think you can do it with just the battery though...not sure.
4. Remove fill plug and the 3 drain plugs and drained the transmission fluid.
5. Remove the transmission filter with a 32mm socket or wrench. (axle nut size)
6. Install the new filter
7. Install and tighten the 3 drain plugs
8. Fill SST fluid back up the same amount you drained.
9. My transmission drained around 7.8 liters. I used all of the 8L I had and put the old fluid back into the empty containers.
10. Reinstall your airbox, battery, splash guards.
11. Double Check everything and start the car.
12. Check for leaks
I inquired today with service staff at my mitsubishi dealer about transmission fluid replacement. I was surprise when I ask about filter: there are no oil filter for transmission fluid! Is a ignorant service staff or what? (I have a ralliart 2009 american model)
Old Oct 26, 2010, 11:04 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by goule681
I inquired today with service staff at my mitsubishi dealer about transmission fluid replacement. I was surprise when I ask about filter: there are no oil filter for transmission fluid! Is a ignorant service staff or what? (I have a ralliart 2009 american model)
I hope so since I just ordered mine today from the dealership Your staff is ignorant...

The starter of this thread can probably give you the part number, if not I will have mine on monday and I will post up the part number then.

Keith
Old Oct 27, 2010, 03:48 AM
Evolving Member

Is it an actual filter? or is it a screen? For example most subarus come with an internal screen and an external spin on filter.

Quick Reply: SST Tranny Fluid change