Notices

Top end power

Search this Thread

Old Nov 14, 2010, 01:50 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Ok, thanks for all the advice. I guess I'll just leave things the way they are right now and save my money, since it doesn't sound like upgrading the exhaust or the intercooler is going to get me the top end gains that I was hoping to achieve.
Old Nov 14, 2010, 02:13 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Slee256
So, based on what you're saying, let's say that I ONLY upgrade the intercooler but DON'T get a bigger turbo. Will the larger intercooler ALONE give me any noticeable gains on the top end of the power band?
No, the larger intercooler won't have an impact on the flow of your turbo. But it will help fix a different problem than may lead to reduced HP.

When air is compressed, it produced some heat that needs to be gotten rid of; otherwise, it will have a negative impact on the boost level you can achieve. The intercooler is the main component used to get rid of that heat.

The problem is that the flow of heat from the compressed air to the intercooler is higher than the flow from intercooler to ambiant air. This leads to the intercooler to act as an heat accumulator: it will gradually become hotter and hotter up to the point of becoming almost useless.

Getting a larger intercooler will help increase the time you have until your intercooler is heat soaked by doing too things:
1) Contains more metal to accumulate the heat.
2) Offers a larger surface of contact thus increasing the rate at which compressed air is being cooled and the rate at which it expel the heat to ambiant air.

Summary: Bigger intercooler leads to boost for longer. So, if you do more than drag racing, you'll notice the difference.

But don't expect anything like more responsive throttle and other imaginary effect
Old Nov 15, 2010, 12:37 PM
Evolved Member

At this point, look into a LICP, bigger front mount, FULL exhaust (start from the O2 housing), and tune with a boost pill. Even reduce rotational mass with lighter wheel/tire combination, and reduce the weight of the car - i.e. lighter seats, carbon fiber/aluminum body panels and suspension bits.

Or, you could go the idealistic route and upgrade your turbo. You can even do it the simple and cost effective way and go Evo X turbo.
Old Nov 15, 2010, 01:49 PM
Evolving Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Just need three things:

1. EVOX FMIC
2. EVOX Turbo
3. Custom Tune

And you will get a pretty decent top end.
Old Nov 15, 2010, 04:40 PM
Evolving Member

i have not yet put my car on a dyno but i sent in my ecu to AMS performance and got the stage 2 tune which comes with a bigger boost pill and ive noticed my car pulls alot stronger than it did with a base tune. to run the tune i think you need the upgraded exhaust, upgraded intake, and run a test pipe or high flow cat. i believe they also do mail in custom tunes to whatever you have on your vehicle. i am replacing my fmic to the evox and aftermarket licp and uicp. do you guys recommending getting a new tune or is it not cost efficient? i just got into the mitsu seen from hondas k20/k24 hybrid so any help would be appreciated.
Old Nov 15, 2010, 04:57 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by elmerfud54
i have not yet put my car on a dyno but i sent in my ecu to AMS performance and got the stage 2 tune which comes with a bigger boost pill and ive noticed my car pulls alot stronger than it did with a base tune. to run the tune i think you need the upgraded exhaust, upgraded intake, and run a test pipe or high flow cat. i believe they also do mail in custom tunes to whatever you have on your vehicle. i am replacing my fmic to the evox and aftermarket licp and uicp. do you guys recommending getting a new tune or is it not cost efficient? i just got into the mitsu seen from hondas k20/k24 hybrid so any help would be appreciated.
How does any of this relate to my thread? You probably need to start your own thread if you have questions that need answering about your particular vehicle. That's the way we do things round here......
Old Nov 16, 2010, 02:21 AM
Evolving Member

thought you might want to try out an ams performance flash, they may be able to make something custom to what kind of gains you want to see
Old Nov 16, 2010, 04:15 AM
Evolved Member

thought you might want to try out an ams performance flash, they may be able to make something custom to what kind of gains you want to see
If you look back at my previous comments in this thread, you'll see where I wrote that I've already had my car custom dyno-tuned, which is as good or better than any "mail-in ECU reflash", but thanks anyway.
Old Nov 16, 2010, 05:02 AM
Evolving Member

From a budget point of view, I would not recommend spending 500$ for a tune every single time you add 500$ worth of parts. The gains will be very minimal. Wait until you do some major modification (Intercooler is not a major mod) before getting tuned. In your case that would probably be when you change your turbo since that seams to be the next step. If you ever think about changing you intake, please search in the forum as most of them requires a new tune to take into account the larger pipe diameter.
Old Nov 16, 2010, 01:26 PM
Account Disabled

All the tune or re-flash comments aren't really helping guys. He is already tuned, and is talking about the 5500rpm + power.

On my dyno graph for the X turbo, my power climbs all the way to 6800 rpm, into the 320 range whp.

My torque hits 340 at around 3300. Its truly the best way to go. If i keep the car i will be doing an fp Green this winter, so ill have an x turbo and mani for sale.