Notices

UICP worth buying without FMIC?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 23, 2010, 04:28 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
UICP worth buying without FMIC?

I'd like to stay around a 1k budget for this first set of mods (preferably under), and I'm leaning towards AMS products. Something about their brand and reputation attracts me.

I am new to modding, so looking for input
Things I will buy 100% or have already:
- AMS BoV: don't like the plastic OEM leaking; relatively cheap
- AMS Boost Pill: seems like a requirement for any modding
- K&N Drop-In: Bought and installed already
Total: ~$200

I really don't like the stock UICP hose, so I'd really like to buy the AMS UICP. They claim on the site that it only fits AMS or Evo X FMIC, but I don't know if that's really true? UR UICP fits just fine with stock IC, what would make the AMS one incompatible?

I know the FMIC upgrade would be huge, but the price difference is from ~600 to ~1300 total (and this is before buying a tune ). So main question is...should I go UICP or full IC set or neither? Are the gains with just UICP too small for the price?
Old Nov 23, 2010, 04:41 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
u dont need a tune for a IC and if u shopped around for a used evo ic and UR full set u can buy everything within ur budget. I agree with what u said, just the uicp the gain isnt worth the price. i suggest u save the money and buy UR since its cheaper and does the same job, quality is very good also. The reason the ams UICP wont fit is because of the coupling, u would need reducers if u wanted to fit your stock IC.
Old Nov 23, 2010, 05:25 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by total0wnage
u dont need a tune for a IC and if u shopped around for a used evo ic and UR full set u can buy everything within ur budget. I agree with what u said, just the uicp the gain isnt worth the price. i suggest u save the money and buy UR since its cheaper and does the same job, quality is very good also. The reason the ams UICP wont fit is because of the coupling, u would need reducers if u wanted to fit your stock IC.

You should be able to pick up a EVO FMIC used for 200 or less....
Old Nov 23, 2010, 05:40 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by total0wnage
I know I won't need a tune, but I'm getting one with the boostpill anyway, so just looking if there's anything cost effective to throw in

I'm aiming for 250+ whp, and some seem to hit that with just BoV, Pill, and tune. That's only going to cost around 500 total, still could throw in one more (cheaper) mod. Wondering if JUST the UICP is worth adding to that, or just saving for the full set later (or if there's any other cheap mod to fit into the budget)
Old Nov 23, 2010, 05:58 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Exyia
I know I won't need a tune, but I'm getting one with the boostpill anyway, so just looking if there's anything cost effective to throw in

I'm aiming for 250+ whp, and some seem to hit that with just BoV, Pill, and tune. That's only going to cost around 500 total, still could throw in one more (cheaper) mod. Wondering if JUST the UICP is worth adding to that, or just saving for the full set later (or if there's any other cheap mod to fit into the budget)
I am hitting 265 and 319 with my mods they should be listed below. I would save till you get everything.

Last edited by spider21; Nov 23, 2010 at 07:38 PM.
Old Nov 24, 2010, 02:47 AM
Evolving Member

As recommended above, you should at least get an EVO X Intercooler.

If you plan on keeping your car for a long time, you should really want to increase your intercooler efficiency. You tune+boost pill will considerably increase your boost level and thus, the intake temperature. To keep engine reliability up, you have to take intake temperature low (as higher temperature increases the risks of getting high level of knock).

Usually the stock EVO X IC will come with the stock EVO X UICP. Upgrading the UICP leads to some increase but it's much more an estheatic mod. The engine bay looks much better with shiny pipes rather that black hoses
Old Nov 24, 2010, 07:02 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by zx-319
As recommended above, you should at least get an EVO X Intercooler.

If you plan on keeping your car for a long time, you should really want to increase your intercooler efficiency. You tune+boost pill will considerably increase your boost level and thus, the intake temperature. To keep engine reliability up, you have to take intake temperature low (as higher temperature increases the risks of getting high level of knock).

Usually the stock EVO X IC will come with the stock EVO X UICP. Upgrading the UICP leads to some increase but it's much more an estheatic mod. The engine bay looks much better with shiny pipes rather that black hoses
which is exactly why I'm leaning towards the UICP, the stock hose looks like garbage haha

but yeah, logical sense (and this forum) tells me I should just bite the bullet and order the whole IC set
Old Nov 24, 2010, 07:47 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by zx-319
Old Nov 24, 2010, 08:03 AM
Evolving Member

which is exactly why I'm leaning towards the UICP, the stock hose looks like garbage haha

but yeah, logical sense (and this forum) tells me I should just bite the bullet and order the whole IC set
The larger UICP does not lead to big benefit. The pipe going out of the turbo is the limiting factor. This is a system, the part with the lowest flow sets the flow for the whole system.
Old Nov 24, 2010, 10:04 AM

T1R has a bigger turbo outlet which would help with increasing the flow of air.
Old Nov 25, 2010, 02:08 PM
Evolving Member

i originally just had the tune before i upgraded the fmic/piping and i found the heat coming from the engine was really abnormal, once i upgraded to the evox intercooler i found it ran alot cooler even after running around in sport for several hours at a time...even seems to help out with gas mileage a little if you look around on here as was stated before you should find the intercooler and piping for a really good price to stay under budget. good luck
Old Nov 25, 2010, 03:41 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by BlueRalliart
T1R has a bigger turbo outlet which would help with increasing the flow of air.
Got a link to it?
Old Dec 5, 2010, 08:49 PM
Evolved Member

I will hopefully be getting an Evo X FMIC and UICP sometime this week, so just wanted to double check.

From previous threads, it seems like the stock LICP will fit BUT I will need a new coupler, and even then the fitment isn't perfect.

So two questions:
1. Where do I buy a new coupler to fit the LICP to the Evo X FMIC?

2. I plan on getting either an AMS or UR UICP, but if I'm going to have some fitment issues on the LICP, should I go ahead and order a new LICP as well? And if so would an aftermarket Evo X LICP fit? I can't seem to find a clear answer from old threads
Old Dec 6, 2010, 03:47 AM
Evolving Member

ive got the evo x fmic and my uicp is injen and its actually for the ralliart and it fits perfect, my licp is from UR and is also for the ralliart and fit perfect. hope it helps any. goodluck
Old Dec 6, 2010, 05:32 AM
Evolving Member

I will hopefully be getting an Evo X FMIC and UICP sometime this week, so just wanted to double check.

From previous threads, it seems like the stock LICP will fit BUT I will need a new coupler, and even then the fitment isn't perfect.

So two questions:
1. Where do I buy a new coupler to fit the LICP to the Evo X FMIC?

2. I plan on getting either an AMS or UR UICP, but if I'm going to have some fitment issues on the LICP, should I go ahead and order a new LICP as well? And if so would an aftermarket Evo X LICP fit? I can't seem to find a clear answer from old threads
For question #1, the stock Ralliart LICP will work fine. You'll have to squeeze it just a little bit but nothing to worry about.