Notices

ralliart questions (n00b)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 24, 2010, 05:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ralliart questions (n00b)

so i coming from a srt-4 w/stage 3 (and yes and evo8 turbo -- soon to be a 20g), and it was very easy archive 300whp with the stock turbo, and 350-400 with minor upgrades (turbo, intercooler, injectors, and a flash) -- looked at the Hyundai genniss but seems there struggling with hp (although is a 4b11), LOVE the HP potential of the caliber srt4 4b12 but i want awd

background:
  • cheaper
  • like the ralliart because of the hatch
  • like the sst
  • simpler awd (based on evo8/9)
  • ideally, max out stock motor hp & stock trans
  • comfortable with most stuff (turbo/struts/axles/exhaust), not sure i want to get inside the motor

I guess i'm looking for the tuning path, so let me start with a few questions
(links very much appreciated)
  1. what are there differences between the ra and evox 4b11 block, pistons, rods, clutch, trans, axles, sensors (map/tip).
  2. what is the max hp/tq of the block & trans & axles
  3. is there any open source pcm reflash or preferred flash/logging programs (for example DSP and SCT are popular with neons)

edit: very informative videos about the differences between the RA and evo xhttp://www.youtube.com/user/Brettmiddleton

Last edited by netnews; Nov 26, 2010 at 10:12 AM.
Old Nov 24, 2010, 06:30 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Search, and you will find the answer.
Old Nov 24, 2010, 08:15 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by netnews
I guess i'm looking for the tuning path, so let me start with a few questions

(links very much appreciated)
  1. what are there differences between the ra and evox 4b11 block, pistons, rods, clutch, trans, axles, sensors (map/tip).
  2. what is the max hp/tq of the block & trans & axles
  3. is there any open source pcm reflash or preferred flash/logging programs (for example DSP and SCT are popular with neons)
Use the search function, the answer to your questions have been answered many times in this forum.

Only #1 might require more effort so here is the answer (from the best of my knowledge):
The Ralliart has a the same internals (cams, pistons, etc...) as the EVO X. The difference lies mostly on the Turbo, intercooler and BPV. We have a much smaller Turbo (33 lbs/min vs 40 lbs/min if I remeber well). Our intercooler is tiny, if you look in the howto section you'll see pictures comparing our intercooler to the EVO X intercooler. Our BPV is made of plastic vs metal for the EVO X, so it's got a tendency to leak at higher pressure.

For the drivetrain we basically have the EVO 9 drivetrain. The EVO X is more advanced. The biggest difference is the AYC (Active Yaw Control) which can send more torque to the right or left wheels to help turning. You can check Mitsubishi sale pitch for more details.

Our transmission is the same as the EVO X MR. But there are some theories that says our clutches don't tolerate as much torque as the EVO X ones. But I don't think all of this has been proven yet.

For the sensors, I can't help you much. I assume most sensors are the same as the EVO X except for a bunch of drivetrain sensors.
Old Nov 24, 2010, 08:26 AM
Evolving Member

searches are golden here...but here's your one noob free bee i guess because i'm in a good mood...
1. evo and ralliart have the exact same 4b11 block, pistons, rods, the clutches in the sst are smaller then in the evo mr but can be upgraded from a company called south side performance (ssp) google them.
2. max horsepower of the block should be around 450-500 with a good tune. (connecting rods i believe are the week point). max hp of the sst in the ralliart is based on torque. you really don't want to push over 300 ft lbs. some people are with no problems but others have cooked their trannys. ssp sells transmission coolers, clutch pack upgrades, 400hp,500hp and soon 600hp kits. and deep transmission pans. all evo mr and ralliart sst mods fit both.
3. this isn't my strong point but i think we can use evoscan search for brians gst free tune and there's loads of info in there.
Old Nov 24, 2010, 09:25 AM
Evolved Member

#3 OpenPort 2.0 + ECUFlash + EvoScan; Technically, you don't need EvoScan if you just want to flash your ECU. However, if you want to do any data logging to "fine tune" your tune, then you'll need EvoScan to do it.
Old Nov 24, 2010, 03:46 PM
Account Disabled

The 4B11 platform is merely identical to the ralliart version. The motors internal workings are the same except for the crankshafts. The ralliart sports a cast crank while the MR and GSR sport a steel crank shafts. The SST transmission in both models use the exact same clutch discs. The only difference in the MR and ralliart transmissions are the 5th and 6th gears. The ralliart sports a lower 5th and 6th gear ratio.

We sell parts for both models. Any upgraded parts to the transmission are beneficial preventative maitenance when adding horsepower to the engine.

SSP Performance
Kris
Old Nov 24, 2010, 03:59 PM
Former Sponsor

So, just to clarify, there is NO other difference between the SST in the MR and RA other than the gearing? I have been hearing all kinds of nonsense in this area.
Old Nov 24, 2010, 04:30 PM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by NFSLancerRA
So, just to clarify, there is NO other difference between the SST in the MR and RA other than the gearing? I have been hearing all kinds of nonsense in this area.
There is no "S-Sport" mode selection, as on EVO X.

Due to there being no S-Sport mode, the RA has no launch control.

There are other TCU/ECU operational differences coming out of the woodwork too. Bryan@GST has logs showing clear evidence of the EVO's computer limiting throttle to about halfway in first gear... and comparison logs of the RA computer not applying throttle limitation.

Rich
Old Nov 24, 2010, 05:49 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by richardjh
There is no "S-Sport" mode selection, as on EVO X.

Due to there being no S-Sport mode, the RA has no launch control.

There are other TCU/ECU operational differences coming out of the woodwork too. Bryan@GST has logs showing clear evidence of the EVO's computer limiting throttle to about halfway in first gear... and comparison logs of the RA computer not applying throttle limitation.

Rich
...I had noticed the lack of S-Sport mode.

I have heard rumblings about the TCU/ECU differences from here and there. I am more concerned with the pieces that I do have control over (i.e. the clutches, seals, cooler, etc.) for now.
Old Nov 24, 2010, 07:13 PM

thanks this is a helpful start.

#1 -any one running the 4b12 (caliber srt-4 2.4L)block in an evo x/ra?
#2 - is stock evox/ra turbo really 40lb-min?

from the following seems it would be closer to 35

google'd and pulled these numbers
(don't claim to be an expert on reading maps)
http://www.stealth316.com/2-turboguide.htm
http://www.srtforums.com/forums/f169...ml#post4352656
http://www.msport.co.nz/viewtopic.ph...1d955aaa4f83d3

(range = practical max cfm / max cfm @ 2.0 PR / choke max cfm)
Evo X GSR & MR - TD05HA-152G6-12T
(TDO5-12A-8CM2 320 CFM )

td05-16G6 = 530/580/625 = 40.1 / 43.8 / 47.25 lb-min
http://www.stealth316.com/images/td0...rge-jlspec.gif

td05-20G = 550/650/680 cfm = 41.6 / 49.14 / 51.4 lb-min
Old Nov 24, 2010, 08:40 PM
Account Disabled

We have tons of data on the workings of the SST transmission. We can tell you for 100% certainty that the transmissions are running identical parts. The ECU of both vehicles tells the TCU to execute certain functions. The launch control and traction control are directly controlled by the ECU. The TCU only interprets what the ECU tells it to do...

We have successfully installed a Ralliart TCU into a MR.............. and it runs perfectly.

Just a sample of the vast amounts of information that we have on the SST transmission..

We have many new internal modifications coming out for the SST transmission. We are currently working on the launch control feature so that the big turbo cars can launch properly.

SSP
Old Nov 24, 2010, 09:09 PM
Evolving Member

^^ So with the RA TCU on the MR did the MR still have launch control and S Sport? If this is the case then these modes must be in the ECU not the TCU as many have mentioned.
Old Nov 24, 2010, 10:41 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,050 Likes on 763 Posts
Originally Posted by SSP Kris
The 4B11 platform is merely identical to the ralliart version. The motors internal workings are the same except for the crankshafts. The ralliart sports a cast crank while the MR and GSR sport a steel crank shafts. The SST transmission in both models use the exact same clutch discs. The only difference in the MR and ralliart transmissions are the 5th and 6th gears. The ralliart sports a lower 5th and 6th gear ratio.

We sell parts for both models. Any upgraded parts to the transmission are beneficial preventative maitenance when adding horsepower to the engine.

SSP Performance
Kris
Wait what?

Cast crank and steel crank? Do you mean Cast crank and a forged crank?

Where are you getting this info btw?

Last edited by razorlab; Nov 24, 2010 at 10:45 PM.
Old Nov 25, 2010, 09:43 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by razorlab
wait what?

Cast crank and steel crank? Do you mean cast crank and a forged crank?

Where are you getting this info btw?
+1??
Old Nov 25, 2010, 10:14 AM
Evolving Member

i thought the RA turbo is a TD04?

Originally Posted by netnews
thanks this is a helpful start.

#1 -any one running the 4b12 (caliber srt-4 2.4L)block in an evo x/ra?
#2 - is stock evox/ra turbo really 40lb-min?

from the following seems it would be closer to 35

google'd and pulled these numbers
(don't claim to be an expert on reading maps)
http://www.stealth316.com/2-turboguide.htm
http://www.srtforums.com/forums/f169...ml#post4352656
http://www.msport.co.nz/viewtopic.ph...1d955aaa4f83d3

(range = practical max cfm / max cfm @ 2.0 PR / choke max cfm)
Evo X GSR & MR - TD05HA-152G6-12T
(TDO5-12A-8CM2 320 CFM )

td05-16G6 = 530/580/625 = 40.1 / 43.8 / 47.25 lb-min
http://www.stealth316.com/images/td0...rge-jlspec.gif

td05-20G = 550/650/680 cfm = 41.6 / 49.14 / 51.4 lb-min

Quick Reply: ralliart questions (n00b)