Notices

SST acting up!

Search this Thread

Old Dec 29, 2010, 03:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I do not post offen on this forum, but now i need to.

I agree with 2010 Rallihead, i'm verry disapointed in this SST. I can't use my damn car for 3 weeks now because it's sitting at the dealership without tranny that being replaced.

I drove on the highway entry in normal auto mode when i lost all gears, clutch disegaged with check engine light and tramsmission service required message on. Pulled the gas, but no power at all, car stopped. Tried to switch to manual, i could change only gear numbers shown on the display, but no gears. Shut off the engie, waited for about 10 minutes, start and check egine light still on, but gear shifting was possible for 5 minutes than failure again. I did a third shot to get the car off from the highway, but the same, it was taken to the dealer on service car.

They tried some TCU flash, but with no luck. I have brake mods only, other than that, engine, drivetrain are bone stock, 9300 miles, 1 year, not even a single drag race or any other, completelly average use.

So, i simply lost confidence, reliance in this sst. when will it happen again, at 120 mph on highway, or 500 miles from home ?! I read somewhere on this forum this dual-clutch wonders are designed to 10-30K ?? W@F ?? It's not indicated on any official data sheet !! And what if the warraty will expire ?

If anyone would ask me i recommend now to earn some more and go for the fine 5-spd X GSR !!!!!!
Old Dec 29, 2010, 04:16 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by 2010 Rallihead
Yes its limp mode and I get it sometimes when I floor it from the 3rd gear going into the 4th, but im running 20psi lol thou, it could also be from the transmission slipping, which happens and since there are sensors there when this occurs it would also throw it into limp mode.. this is why i hate our transmission... wish they came with a option for a true 5/6 speed instead of this ****... thou i still love the paddles, makes me feel like im driving a F-430, till i look at the speedometer.
this is so much fail. 20 psi has NOTHING TO DO WITH ANYTHING. psi is a measurement of the forced pressure, it has no bearing on horse power or torque. The amount of cfms flowing, which increase with boost, are what attribute to power. Your "20 psi" on the stock RA turbo makes less power then "10 psi" on my 66 lb turbo on my grand national because the turbo isnt big enough to flow as much air at 20 psi as my larger one can at 10 ( this is just an example to show you how irrelevant it is.)

As ive stated prior, those of us who make alot more power and alot more torque then you and others with issues seem to have NOTHING when it comes to slipping, or limp mode. Either its pure coincidence and we all got bullet proof RA's by mistake, or in your and other issued drivers cases, its DRIVER abuse and error causing the problem.

I think alot of first time turbo users need to realize you DONT MASH ON THE PEDAL at 1500 rpm in 6th gear. ITS TURBOOOOOOOO not naturally aspirated, and thus can and will surge.

Essentially my friend, the proof is in the pudding. Our transmission is withstanding 300+ torque and 300+ whp on 50-100 cars now, with no major issues. This makes it a FACT that the transmission isnt the problem... so really, if it isnt the mechanicals, it has to be the individuals.
Old Dec 29, 2010, 06:10 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Westbound&down
so really, if it isnt the mechanicals, it has to be the individuals.
Foolish driving styles/habits could be the cause of SST failures in some cases, but I also do believe that some of these transmissions are lemons straight from the factory simply due to slight manufacturing defects.
Old Dec 29, 2010, 06:15 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Westbound&down
thats not the sst, its limp mode, which could be for a number of issues.

most commonly if you were in normal auto in 6th and had stomped on it you could have surged the crap out of the poor car and forced it into limp mode.
I agree.. the GSR does the same.. its the worst **** ever and could kill someone too.. Happened to me in my GSR a couple years ago when i hit on the highway at too low of an RPM and the boost spiked put me in limp mode in the middle of cars going 80mph i had NO PEDAL.. Same happened i think to Dave Buschur going up a bridge with snow.. Not a nice feeling..

Mike
Old Dec 31, 2010, 01:47 AM

I'm sure inproper handling can cause failures, but in my case continous ~40% gas pedal pressure acceleration has to be within "proper use" factor.

I had a volvo 850 T5 (240 hp) for 12 years, 136.000 miles, i did some abuse on it sometime and i can say that piece never let me down, NEVER !! Especially not at 15K !!!

Hell, i taught i bought a sport car with the same Hp, and with 4 wheel drive equpipped with a tranny that suitable for the wehicle at least average use. Or if it needs special treatment it should be indicated, but i see only common b***t in the users manual.

I believe manual trannys can be ruined as well, but why can i read only sst failures all around on this an other similar forums ?

Last edited by PenceE; Dec 31, 2010 at 01:51 AM.