Notices

SST acting up!

Search this Thread

Old Dec 9, 2010, 08:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SST acting up!

Was driving on 84 highway going 60, when pushed on gas to accelerate. Check enging light came on, ASC light and also the warning light came on for the SST. The car lost all power and I tried to give some gas but no go. I pulled over and let the car idle, the idle was jumping from 900 to 1500 constant. Turned off car, restarted and same promblem idle jumping up and down. Turned off the car several times than let it cool down. Restarted the car and it idle like normal, started to drive again and drove like normal. CEL light stayed on. I have 32,354 miles
Old Dec 9, 2010, 08:16 PM
Evolving Member

I would take it to the dealership before any other problems arise.
Old Dec 9, 2010, 08:43 PM
Account Disabled

thats not the sst, its limp mode, which could be for a number of issues.

most commonly if you were in normal auto in 6th and had stomped on it you could have surged the crap out of the poor car and forced it into limp mode.
Old Dec 10, 2010, 05:02 AM
Evolved Member

Do a quick check under hood to see if anything came loose. It might be as simple as a vaccuum hose coming off.
Old Dec 10, 2010, 06:00 AM

k thanks guys, im going to check everything underhood. Im going to make an appointment for the tranny fluid to be changed due to the mileage. I did start the car in the am and the CEL has turned off and idles normal.
Old Dec 10, 2010, 06:37 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by jkennedy293
Do a quick check under hood to see if anything came loose. It might be as simple as a vaccuum hose coming off.
Thats what im thinking.
Old Dec 10, 2010, 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by Westbound&down
thats not the sst, its limp mode, which could be for a number of issues.

most commonly if you were in normal auto in 6th and had stomped on it you could have surged the crap out of the poor car and forced it into limp mode.
I agree that sounds like the car has gone into limp mode. Has the car been tuned? Ive heard of some somes that the throttle body sensor playing up also. I sold a customer a brand new lancer Ralliart and a couple of days later, his TBS was faulty and caused the car to loose all power and play with idle, so you might want to check that also.
Old Dec 10, 2010, 05:28 PM

Originally Posted by NICK(PMR)
I agree that sounds like the car has gone into limp mode. Has the car been tuned? Ive heard of some somes that the throttle body sensor playing up also. I sold a customer a brand new lancer Ralliart and a couple of days later, his TBS was faulty and caused the car to loose all power and play with idle, so you might want to check that also.
It does have a tune Stage 1 Cobb tuned. Wow I didnt think about that, thanks for the info. Ill check it out.
Old Dec 10, 2010, 11:06 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,056 Likes on 764 Posts
Get a real tune.
Old Dec 11, 2010, 06:30 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by razorlab
Get a real tune.
Wow Bryan, I'm surprised to hear this coming from you. What do you have against Cobb?
Old Dec 11, 2010, 07:27 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by razorlab
Get a real tune.
Old Dec 11, 2010, 11:25 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by Slee256
Wow Bryan, I'm surprised to hear this coming from you. What do you have against Cobb?
He has a off the shelf tune and I'm saying get a real tune since one size does not always fit all. Or he can just run one of those cool free basemaps that will not ever put the car in limp mode like this.
Old Dec 11, 2010, 12:01 PM
Evolving Member

Yes its limp mode and I get it sometimes when I floor it from the 3rd gear going into the 4th, but im running 20psi lol thou, it could also be from the transmission slipping, which happens and since there are sensors there when this occurs it would also throw it into limp mode.. this is why i hate our transmission... wish they came with a option for a true 5/6 speed instead of this ****... thou i still love the paddles, makes me feel like im driving a F-430, till i look at the speedometer.
Old Dec 12, 2010, 12:37 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by 2010 Rallihead
Yes its limp mode and I get it sometimes when I floor it from the 3rd gear going into the 4th, but im running 20psi lol thou, it could also be from the transmission slipping, which happens and since there are sensors there when this occurs it would also throw it into limp mode.. this is why i hate our transmission... wish they came with a option for a true 5/6 speed instead of this ****... thou i still love the paddles, makes me feel like im driving a F-430, till i look at the speedometer.
You just need proper tuning. The trans is fine. You should have no issues with "only" 20psi on the stock turbo, at all.
Old Dec 29, 2010, 03:08 PM

I do not post offen on this forum, but now i need to.

I agree with 2010 Rallihead, i'm very disapointed in this SST. I can't use my damn car for 3 weeks now because it's sitting at the dealership without tranny that being replaced.

I drove on the highway entry in normal auto mode when i lost all gears, clutch disegaged with check engine light and tramsmission service required message on. Pulled the gas, but no power at all, car stopped. Tried to switch to manual, i could change only gear numbers shown on the display, but no gears. Shut off the engie, waited for about 10 minutes, start and check egine light still on, but gear shifting was possible for 5 minutes than failure again. I did a third shot to get the car off from the highway, but the same, it was taken to the dealer on service car.

They tried some TCU flash, but with no luck. I have brake mods only, other than that, engine, drivetrain are bone stock, 9300 miles, 1 year, not even a single drag race or any other, completelly average use.

So, i simply lost confidence, reliance in this sst. when will it happen again, at 120 mph on highway, or 500 miles from home ?! I read somewhere on this forum this dual-clutch wonders are designed to 10-30K ?? W@F ?? It's not indicated on any official data sheet !! And what if the warraty will expire ?

If anyone would ask me i recommend now to earn some more and go for the fine 5-spd X GSR !!!!!!

Quick Reply: SST acting up!