Notices

Going to flush my tranny and drivetrain fluids...

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29, 2011, 08:55 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Going to flush my tranny and drivetrain fluids...

I have looked around and seen few parts like the inline filter in our SST system. But I would like to have some feedback from those who have worked on it themselves or had a garage (not the Mitsubishi dealers!) do this. Also where can I find filters and fluids from a good to excellent reputation shop that are willing to ship. I am avoiding the Mitsubishi brand stuff cuz they're over priced and uses other high brand companies to put on their "label" and I am not supportive of that part. If I have to use the "stock" inline filter, then I will go with that but the fluids, I am sure there are other better stuff out there. Also how much would I need to buy? Any help would be appreciated!

Sebastian
Old Jan 29, 2011, 09:27 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I haven't done the fluid change yet myself but, from what I've seen, this is the least expensive source for the OEM fluids and such. Personally, I will stick with OEM fluids since I'm paranoid of aftermarket fluids because I believe there are areas inside the SST where the electronics are literally submerged in the tranni fluid. They can also be found at a ridiculous yet similar price to aftermarket stuff.

That being said, I used Amsoil for the transfer case and rear diff.

http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/svg.aspx

http://www.fredbeansparts.com/index....tion-x-mr.html

http://www.fredbeansparts.com/index....on-filter.html

Looks like they have a bit of a sale on now.

Last edited by Piper747; Jan 29, 2011 at 09:44 AM.
Old Jan 29, 2011, 11:01 AM
Evolved Member

http://www.sspperformance.com/produc...dbfb58051c7b26
Old Jan 29, 2011, 12:51 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Piper747
I haven't done the fluid change yet myself but, from what I've seen, this is the least expensive source for the OEM fluids and such. Personally, I will stick with OEM fluids since I'm paranoid of aftermarket fluids because I believe there are areas inside the SST where the electronics are literally submerged in the tranni fluid. They can also be found at a ridiculous yet similar price to aftermarket stuff.

Thanks...that is exactly what I am looking for! Will be ordering the stuff soon then most likely will do a how to post up. I know I have not been able to post up a how to for my brakes yet. Give it about 2 weeks since I have the open shop at my school for me to do.
Old Jan 29, 2011, 12:53 PM
Evolving Member

I am aware of these guys but you found the site. This is my future mods that I will be doing for the transmission before doing a engine rebuild when I feel like it is time to do so. Right now I am clocking at 36K and change miles, so this is gonna be a "long" time before doing so.
Old Jan 29, 2011, 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by Piper747

I order all my OEM fluids through fredbeansparts.com. Their prices are very reasonable and they ship fast. I got 33k on my car and im over kill when it comes to drivetrain fluids. Ive changed the tranny 3 times and transfer/rear diff 6 times now. Personally easy to do. Wish i did have a lift would be easier to change the tranfer/rear diff..considering the car has to be level. My advice on changing any of them is when draining them measure the amount fluid that came out. So in that case you stay consistent and save money on not using too much fluid. The tranny is very simple look at the ams website for a how to. for the transfer case/ rear diff. look at evomoto.com under evotech for a idea on a how to. a funnel,vinyl tubing and gravity.... hope this helps.
Old Jan 29, 2011, 06:02 PM
Evolved Member

I've found mitsubishiparts.net to be a few dollars cheaper than Fred Beans on the tranny fluid and filter.
Old Jan 30, 2011, 08:43 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by csra09
I order all my OEM fluids through fredbeansparts.com. Their prices are very reasonable and they ship fast. I got 33k on my car and im over kill when it comes to drivetrain fluids. Ive changed the tranny 3 times and transfer/rear diff 6 times now. Personally easy to do. Wish i did have a lift would be easier to change the tranfer/rear diff..considering the car has to be level. My advice on changing any of them is when draining them measure the amount fluid that came out. So in that case you stay consistent and save money on not using too much fluid. The tranny is very simple look at the ams website for a how to. for the transfer case/ rear diff. look at evomoto.com under evotech for a idea on a how to. a funnel,vinyl tubing and gravity.... hope this helps.

Thanks for the input. After looking at the evomoto site, this seems to be for the Evo 9 and older ones as by looking at the picture but it seems to be simple and a straightforward job. As far as the AMS site, I will be looking into this as well. Thanks once again for the input.
Old Jan 30, 2011, 11:27 AM
Evolved Member

I am aware of these guys but you found the site. This is my future mods that I will be doing for the transmission before doing a engine rebuild when I feel like it is time to do so. Right now I am clocking at 36K and change miles, so this is gonna be a "long" time before doing so.
I think you missed the point of my post, it was to show you the Inline Re-Usable Tranny Filter and the SSP Pro Gold Tranny Fluid.
I ordered these and will be doing tranny service next weekend
Old Jan 30, 2011, 12:39 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by sstevojr
I think you missed the point of my post, it was to show you the Inline Re-Usable Tranny Filter and the SSP Pro Gold Tranny Fluid.
I ordered these and will be doing tranny service next weekend
Ok cool...let me know how it comes out. As far as the inline stuff, I was referring to the one that is inside the transmission but adding another inline sounds pretty good to me as well but I would like to see how it comes out in picture wise.

Also on side note....the container in our trunk, is that for our transmission as well? How would we drain that, or does it just drains through the transmission itself?
Old Jan 30, 2011, 03:59 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by slyman
Ok cool...let me know how it comes out. As far as the inline stuff, I was referring to the one that is inside the transmission but adding another inline sounds pretty good to me as well but I would like to see how it comes out in picture wise.

Also on side note....the container in our trunk, is that for our transmission as well? How would we drain that, or does it just drains through the transmission itself?
There is no serviceable filter in the tranny. He is referring to removing the stock external filter and adding the SSP Inline filter in its place.

The fluid container in the trunk is the resevoir for the ACD system. You will probably never have to change the fluid.
Old Jan 30, 2011, 04:14 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by jkennedy293
There is no serviceable filter in the tranny. He is referring to removing the stock external filter and adding the SSP Inline filter in its place.

The fluid container in the trunk is the resevoir for the ACD system. You will probably never have to change the fluid.

So in another words, you just drain the transmission fluid and not worry about the filter inside it? I can see the external ones which seems to be a nice feature but does it really helps by adding it? Could some of the guys or gals clarify this a little more? Thanks in advance.
Old Jan 30, 2011, 04:28 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by slyman
So in another words, you just drain the transmission fluid and not worry about the filter inside it? I can see the external ones which seems to be a nice feature but does it really helps by adding it? Could some of the guys or gals clarify this a little more? Thanks in advance.
The SST is not like automatic trannies you are used to. There is no filter inside that I am aware of. You can replace the OEM filter mounted on the side of the tranny OR you can remove this filter and install an SSP reusable filter in its place. The SSP filter has its own housing so you have to remove the OEM housing and splice in the SSP one. I hope this clears up any confusion.
Old Jan 31, 2011, 03:29 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by jkennedy293
The SST is not like automatic trannies you are used to. There is no filter inside that I am aware of. You can replace the OEM filter mounted on the side of the tranny OR you can remove this filter and install an SSP reusable filter in its place. The SSP filter has its own housing so you have to remove the OEM housing and splice in the SSP one. I hope this clears up any confusion.

Now I am clear. Thanks a bunch.
Old Jan 31, 2011, 04:04 PM
Evolved Member

You shouldn't stray away from the SST Fluid Diaqueen makes for Mitsubishi. If you do, I promise you'll be making a $9,000+ mistake. This fluid underwent a lot of R&D to become the state of fluid it is. By the way, mitsubishiparts.net just lowered prices on EVERYTHING in their online store. I bought my SSTF and SST filter from them and it was a decent amount cheaper than Fred Beans. There are a lot of write-ups online (here and EvoXforums) that you can do this fluid change yourself in your garage, or have some of your buddies help you.

As for the diff. and transfer case fluid, you'll most likely be fine with what others have posted about in here.