Notices

Transmission acts stuck??

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9, 2011, 11:57 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Transmission acts stuck??

I think this is cold and snow weather related as this recently happened only on the times the car has been sitting outside work between lunch or the end of the day.

I put the car in drive or reverse. I feel the trans shift into appropriate gear. I tap on the gas and only the revs go up. If i push a little harder the car jumps forward or reverse and then everything seems fine. It doesn't do it everytime only when the car has been sitting for a little while in the freezing temps and snow.

Has this happened to anyone else?
Old Feb 9, 2011, 12:10 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
this has happened to me also, but was ur car warmed up? it happened to me when i was in a rush and didnt have time for my car to warm up
Old Feb 9, 2011, 12:45 PM
Evolved Member

No I just hopped in and tried to take off. I guess if it happens again I can put it back in park and see if that helps. Just surprised me.
I have been told its better to let the car warm up as you drive and letting it idle for too long can be bad. That is how I got into that habit. I just make sure to drive easy until everything warms up.
Old Feb 9, 2011, 12:55 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by S2K2EVO
No I just hopped in and tried to take off. I guess if it happens again I can put it back in park and see if that helps. Just surprised me.
I have been told its better to let the car warm up as you drive and letting it idle for too long can be bad. That is how I got into that habit. I just make sure to drive easy until everything warms up.
My guess is temperature. Our transmission is very high tech with tons of computers, I'm sure one of them does the best to keep the transmission intact and operates properly under temperature

the TC-SST is very goofy when it's cold
Old Feb 9, 2011, 01:10 PM
Evolved Member

Thanks this is what I was thinking just wanted some feedback.
Old Feb 9, 2011, 03:13 PM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
I think this is cold and snow weather related as this recently happened only on the times the car has been sitting outside work between lunch or the end of the day.

I put the car in drive or reverse. I feel the trans shift into appropriate gear. I tap on the gas and only the revs go up. If i push a little harder the car jumps forward or reverse and then everything seems fine. It doesn't do it everytime only when the car has been sitting for a little while in the freezing temps and snow.

Has this happened to anyone else?

I wonder if brake pads ever get water on them while warm, then freeze to the discs after hours in the cold wind...?

Hearing stuff like this, I'm so happy with my warm Aussie climate!!

Rich
Old Feb 9, 2011, 03:42 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by richardjh
I wonder if brake pads ever get water on them while warm, then freeze to the discs after hours in the cold wind...?

Hearing stuff like this, I'm so happy with my warm Aussie climate!!

Rich
why would there be water being sprayed on brakes in freezing weather?
Old Feb 9, 2011, 04:24 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have been told its better to let the car warm up as you drive and letting it idle for too long can be bad.
I'm a big believer in letting the car warm up for a couple minutes before driving, especially in the winter.
Old Feb 9, 2011, 05:17 PM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by total0wnage
Credibility Advisory Warning: The last time I drove in snow was 15 years ago, in Europe. These days, it's all floods, cyclones, bush fires, droughts, golf-ball sized hail stones, etc. Not all at once, mind you. Welcome to Australia!

So... speaking from a position of almost total ignorance (as usual), my suggestion would be: chunks of sludgy snowy muck getting kicked up onto warm discs/pads, where it sits, melts a bit, freezes again after a few hours in icy winds, and results in locked-up brakes when you next try to go driving. A bit of force applied breaks the bond around the edge of the pads... and you're good to go.

Super-cold weather just sounds so unpleasant. If it's all the same, I'll take the heatwaves, bush wildfires, cyclones....

Rich
Old Feb 9, 2011, 05:26 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by total0wnage
Credibility Advisory Warning: The last time I drove in snow was 15 years ago, in Europe. These days, it's all floods, cyclones, bush fires, droughts, golf-ball sized hail stones, etc. Not all at once, mind you. Welcome to Australia!

So... speaking from a position of almost total ignorance (as usual), my suggestion would be: chunks of sludgy snowy muck getting kicked up onto warm discs/pads, where it sits, melts a bit, freezes again after a few hours in icy winds, and results in locked-up brakes when you next try to go driving. A bit of force applied breaks the bond around the edge of the pads... and you're good to go.

Super-cold weather just sounds so unpleasant. If it's all the same, I'll take the heatwaves, bush wildfires, cyclones....

Rich
Yes, that is just how it happens. Quite frequently this time of year where I'm at.
Old Feb 10, 2011, 06:57 AM
Evolved Member

Thanks for the replies.
Old Feb 10, 2011, 08:12 AM
Evolved Member

Rich
never heard of that happening, for some reason i thought u were insinuating that in freezing temps you would go through a puddle or something lol
Old Feb 10, 2011, 10:29 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
taken from mitsu's tsb about tcsst characteristics:

Throttle Delay at Start Up - If the ambient temperature is very low (approx. -20* C, -4* F), engine speed is restricted to 3,000 rpm for approximately 3 seconds after starting, if the gearshift is in N and the brake pedal is not depressed. This is a normal characteristic. Transmission oil viscosity is very high in very cold temperatures and there is a slight possibility of clutch drag. Because gears are always pre-engaged in N, there is a slight possibility that the vehicle could move if the clutch drags.

Delayed Engagement from P - Due to the complex nature of the transmission, customers may experience longer gear engagement than they might initially expect. This is a normal characteristic.

Flashing "R" indicator on MID - When shifting into R (reverse position), the customer may notice the R in the MID flashing, indicating an unsuccessful shift. This may be due to gear blocking. The TC-SST is an automated MANUAL transmission and occasional gear blocking is possible. If a customer complains of this condition, advise them to shift to a different gear and then retry reverse.

between the super thick fluid and all the other characteristics of the transmission, I would assume that what you are experiencing is fairly normal operating characteristics. I've had late engagement myself after the car has sat in the freezing cold, even after a 5-10 minute warmup at idle.

also, someone mentioned frozen brakes. this is another real possibility that i have personally experienced, as well. this is usually accompanied with the usual click/clunk noise of the brakes freeing up that can be found on any car. i'm sure you've had a car sit outside for awhile, freezing or otherwise, and noticed that noise upon first moving especially when there's a lot of moisture in the environment causing any residual brake dust/powder to oxidize rapidly and bond the pad surface to the rotor surface

Last edited by 03chi-town0Z; Feb 10, 2011 at 10:32 AM.
Old Feb 10, 2011, 11:00 AM
Evolved Member

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
Nevermind - the other post answers it...

[delete]

Last edited by Veronica; Feb 10, 2011 at 11:05 AM.
Old Feb 10, 2011, 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by 03chi-town0Z
taken from mitsu's tsb about tcsst characteristics:

Throttle Delay at Start Up - If the ambient temperature is very low (approx. -20* C, -4* F), engine speed is restricted to 3,000 rpm for approximately 3 seconds after starting, if the gearshift is in N and the brake pedal is not depressed. This is a normal characteristic. Transmission oil viscosity is very high in very cold temperatures and there is a slight possibility of clutch drag. Because gears are always pre-engaged in N, there is a slight possibility that the vehicle could move if the clutch drags.

Delayed Engagement from P - Due to the complex nature of the transmission, customers may experience longer gear engagement than they might initially expect. This is a normal characteristic.

Flashing "R" indicator on MID - When shifting into R (reverse position), the customer may notice the R in the MID flashing, indicating an unsuccessful shift. This may be due to gear blocking. The TC-SST is an automated MANUAL transmission and occasional gear blocking is possible. If a customer complains of this condition, advise them to shift to a different gear and then retry reverse.

between the super thick fluid and all the other characteristics of the transmission, I would assume that what you are experiencing is fairly normal operating characteristics. I've had late engagement myself after the car has sat in the freezing cold, even after a 5-10 minute warmup at idle.

also, someone mentioned frozen brakes. this is another real possibility that i have personally experienced, as well. this is usually accompanied with the usual click/clunk noise of the brakes freeing up that can be found on any car. i'm sure you've had a car sit outside for awhile, freezing or otherwise, and noticed that noise upon first moving especially when there's a lot of moisture in the environment causing any residual brake dust/powder to oxidize rapidly and bond the pad surface to the rotor surface

I was going to mention that until I read your post. Its happened to me on some cold nights in the snow trying to pull out of my spot after the car had been warmed for about 10 minutes. Put the car in drive and tapped the gas but the car just sat there then after another try was this loud CLANK and the car moved up. With all the noises and funny thing this car does I assume almost everything is normally unless there is a service light on the dash...

Quick Reply: Transmission acts stuck??