Notices

Timing Chain Replaced Under Warranty

Search this Thread

Old Feb 10, 2011, 08:18 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Timing Chain Replaced Under Warranty

I was driving last week when I got the ! inside the triangle light and looked in the book to find it could be timing chain stretch so I called the delaer right away and had it fixed under warranty. Took em a day and a half to do the job. 12hrs of labor so all in all it cost Mitsu about $1500-$2000 to fix. Add that onto the $14,000 they already spent replacing my trans and they've lost $16,000 out of the $27,000 I paid for the car.
Old Feb 10, 2011, 09:50 AM
Evolved Member

Damn. Sucks that you are having so many issues but its great that they took care of it. They didnt give you any problems over the mods you have on your car?
Old Feb 10, 2011, 09:57 AM

Unfortunately they make money off of warranty repairs.... so even if they only make an 15% overhead coverage... they've made an additional $2400 off of Mitsu.
Old Feb 10, 2011, 10:04 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by 2muchboost
Damn. Sucks that you are having so many issues but its great that they took care of it. They didnt give you any problems over the mods you have on your car?
put it back to stock before bringing it in. Ill spend one night laying in the snow to remove mods if its gonna save me money
Old Feb 10, 2011, 02:05 PM

Ive only heard of this once as one of my customers lancer Ralliarts had the same problem. At start Mitsubishi tried to avoid fixing it under new car warranty, however in the end they had no choice.
Old May 24, 2011, 09:37 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had the stretched timing chain problem too and Mitsubishi replaced it a couple of months ago along with a whole bunch of other parts under warranty (I was at 36k miles when the CEL came on). They pretty much replaced the whole lower part of my engine. And guess what? I actually gained 3+ mpg after the repair, I was averaging 19mpg combined driving and now I get 22+ mpg. I think Mitsubishi had some defective parts in our engines (at least in mine) that drove down the MPG and they replaced the bad parts so I'm getting the MPG that was advertised. Very shady.
Old Jun 1, 2011, 10:52 PM
Evolved Member

just got the sign..looks like mine needs to be replaced
Old Jun 1, 2011, 11:03 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
How many miles on it bye2u?
Old Jun 1, 2011, 11:23 PM
Evolved Member

45,000km so around 28,000miles
Old Jun 2, 2011, 03:13 PM
Evolving Member

Curious if any RA/EVO owners Are having this issue with '10-11 models, or if it's just first year cars. Makes me really hesitate on picking up an RA as my next daily since I drive over 22k a year so I'd be out of warranty in no time.
Old Jun 2, 2011, 04:46 PM
Evolved Member

'10 RA sportback ... no issues yet ...

/me knocks on wood
Old Jun 3, 2011, 07:02 AM
Evolving Member

almost 6k miles for me. nothing to report as of yet
Old Jun 24, 2011, 10:02 AM

Exclamation Mine is getting fixed right now - 2009 RA 55K

It's been at the dealer for a week..... at least, since I don't have it back yet.

They are telling me today, apparently took them a bit to get it approved for warranty coverage from the factory.

The specifically said they had them check if it had been re-flashed and they wouldn't have done in it that case, but I haven't done that ....yet....

I'll be out of warranty soon.

Apparently the approval took enough time that they couldn't get the parts ordered that day (Monday) and they had to order more parts that came in Thursday....

The dreaded triangle of death came on, I called the dealership, they didn't make it sound like any big deal, no rush getting it in.

I did check it with a ( cheapo ) ODB scan tool and it said there were no codes, so maybe this is a "deeper" code requiring a Mitsu tool to check it.... since it knows something is wrong and is throwing a warning to the driver it has to have some kind of code somewhere. Maybe the MUT (?) picks it up.

I was going to drop it off for Monday the following week for the day.

Then last Friday leaving work it started running very rough, then the "Service engine soon" light came on. Not wanting to melt a converter if there was a misfire, I thought I would check with the dealer.

I pulled over and called the dealer, they said to have it towed, so I had my first experience with Mitsubishi roadside assistance, and they were great.

I'm kicking myself because I had an ODB code scanner in my car and now that it had a "service engine soon" it should have visible codes and would have pulled them if I was thinking......

I'm not convinced that the roughness was related to the timing chain issue. It was kind of random, not like a dead cylinder and I can't think of any timing/valve related issue that would cause that, felt more like ignition.

So it's Friday a week later and we'll see if it's ready today.

This doesn't seem to be a "common" problem from what I can see on the forum, so hopefully it won't happen again and at least they give you a warning that it's happening so you can get it fixed before there is more damage.

There was another post that the dealer charged $800 to tell the owner that the code was a false alarm and the chain was within specs. The video posted elsewhere on here shows the process and it only requires removal of the valve cover to check it so that sounds like gouging to me. Also there was some reference elsewhere to improper calibration on some engines so they might detect this when the chain isn't that worn, the calibration can be reset by the dealer if that is the case. The video covers all that....

Last edited by klingk; Jun 24, 2011 at 10:29 AM. Reason: Wanted to add info about ECU codes
Old Jun 26, 2011, 10:46 AM
Evolved Member

It seems like a lot of people with the 09 ralliarts are having this problem.
Old Jun 26, 2011, 05:17 PM
Evolving Member

This timing chain issue, and transmission issues seem to be the most common in the 2009 model year.

Is this because these cars just have more mileage than the newer models, or have there been design changes for the 2010/2011 models to compensate for design flaws?

Quick Reply: Timing Chain Replaced Under Warranty