Notices

COBB AP from stage I to II

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12, 2011, 07:00 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
COBB AP from stage I to II

I am currently running stage 1 93 Octane. Only mods are Magnaflow CB, Evo X fmic, UR uicp, and K&N. I have UR down pipe sitting in my basement and thinking about getting UR high flow cat pipe. The question is will it make ma car much louder? I really enjoy the smooth growl of Magnaflow. How much difference in sound would the switch make. Is it worthy??

Thank you for all the answers.
Old Mar 12, 2011, 07:38 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by hotkupa
I am currently running stage 1 93 Octane. Only mods are Magnaflow CB, Evo X fmic, UR uicp, and K&N. I have UR down pipe sitting in my basement and thinking about getting UR high flow cat pipe. The question is will it make ma car much louder? I really enjoy the smooth growl of Magnaflow. How much difference in sound would the switch make. Is it worthy??

Thank you for all the answers.
I am running a very similar setup on my car right now with virtually all the same mods and Ap Stage 1 93, and am planning to add the down pipe and HFC very soon.

I think the obvious answer is yes, it will be probably be louder, but the question is by what margin. I recently communicated with UR about this very issue, and as expected, they informed me the steel HFC is considerably louder than the ceramic HFC. The steel HFC is less restrictive being 200 CPI, the ceramic is 400CPI.

So if you get the ceramic HFC it might not be that much louder, if you choose the steel HFC it probably will be.
Old Mar 12, 2011, 08:59 PM
Evolved Member

Thats the first time Ive heard there was a difference between the substrates related to volume. Interesting
Old Mar 12, 2011, 09:04 PM
Evolving Member

Are you going to put down pipe and HFC on? or only down pipe? I read somewhere that you won't get much from down pipe and is not required since stock RA one is not bad. And as long as you run 3 inch HFC you are ok.

Somebody also scared me and told me that running EVO X FMIC, UICP and K&N could have adverse effect on the engine. I did not notice anything exploding yet did you have any problems? I personally think that this mods make so little difference that it won't matter.
Old Mar 12, 2011, 09:20 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by hotkupa
Are you going to put down pipe and HFC on? or only down pipe? I read somewhere that you won't get much from down pipe and is not required since stock RA one is not bad. And as long as you run 3 inch HFC you are ok.

Somebody also scared me and told me that running EVO X FMIC, UICP and K&N could have adverse effect on the engine. I did not notice anything exploding yet did you have any problems? I personally think that this mods make so little difference that it won't matter.
Downpipe and HFC is required for the tune to run the gains your suppose to get. I did the FMIC,U/LICP upgrade on stage 2 and there is a noticeable timing issue and turbo lag. It will run, but to get it to run accurate, a tune will be required. Both Evolution Dynamics and Cobb in Plano, TX told me this when they put the stuff on my car. They both even advised (not required) a 3 port boost solenoid controller with your tune.
Old Mar 12, 2011, 10:21 PM
Evolved Member

hotkupa off subject but do you have any video clips of your magnaflow? I would really like to hear some different clips inside/outside.
Old Mar 13, 2011, 01:19 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
^^ +1 i'm planning on getting a magnaflow CBE, post vids especially after you put the DP and HFC in
Old Mar 13, 2011, 07:27 AM
Evolving Member

I have a full UR Tb exhaust and run Cobb Stage II

I went in stages of mods Cat back then to Turbo back.

I did not notice any more loudness going from Cb to Tb
(I have the UR high flow cat metal core)

I did notice alot more power though
Do it and enjoy it is my bit of advise to you.
Old Mar 13, 2011, 07:37 AM
Evolving Member

I am looking to get the 3 inch ceramic. I heard is as good as oem no CEL.
Old Mar 14, 2011, 04:58 AM

Stock DP is small

The stock DP is small. I agree that the OEM cat is the biggest issue but check the difference on the pic attached. BTW this is the TurboXS DP vs OEM. On the subject of the FMIC and intake mods here's the quote I got from Cobb: "You will need to closely monitor your STFT and LTFT in the Live Data option on the AccessPORT. I would recommend checking those fuel trim values at idle, while cruising on the freeway, and very light acceleration. If you add your STFT and LTFT together the sum should be within about -8% to +8% with the closer to zero the better."
Attached Thumbnails COBB AP from stage I to II-ra-oem-v-turboxs-dp.jpg  
Old Mar 14, 2011, 06:08 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by 10Sportback
The stock DP is small. I agree that the OEM cat is the biggest issue but check the difference on the pic attached. BTW this is the TurboXS DP vs OEM. On the subject of the FMIC and intake mods here's the quote I got from Cobb: "You will need to closely monitor your STFT and LTFT in the Live Data option on the AccessPORT. I would recommend checking those fuel trim values at idle, while cruising on the freeway, and very light acceleration. If you add your STFT and LTFT together the sum should be within about -8% to +8% with the closer to zero the better."

Well i was monitoring my STFT and LIFT all day long. Its strange because my LIFT is allways 0.0 and my STFT is average 3.9 but it never goes above 6. Does that sound o.k. or my AP is retarded.
Old Mar 16, 2011, 06:35 AM

All the AP is doing is monitoring the data from the ECU. Actually the 0 value is good, but what you need to do is log the data and then take the averages from each column of the .CSV spreadsheet you upload to your computer from the AP.