Notices

Omegis RA to Evo X swap progress

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13, 2012, 03:18 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Started drilling holes on driver's side. After talking to bronto, realized I had safe room to drill holes for tie downs. Also realized I should charge my drill when I'm not using it. Got the holes started and I'll take plenty of pics and try to get a "how to" posted soon. It'll be secured by the end of the night.

Update: Done!

Tucked the trunk mats under the board above the spare tire for now. Battery box from Summit Racing is huge. Probably great for stock battery but big for a small battery. I'll look into cutting out some support material to place in between the battery and box to secure it laterally. It's secure forward/aft and vertically.

Last edited by omegis; Mar 13, 2012 at 06:13 PM.
Old Mar 17, 2012, 05:35 PM
Evolving Member

Very informative thread man! just wondering if I can get away with the original location of the RA BOV or do I really need to move the BOV like the Evo X set up?

Last edited by spekil; Mar 17, 2012 at 05:37 PM.
Old Mar 17, 2012, 08:59 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by spekil
Very informative thread man! just wondering if I can get away with the original location of the RA BOV or do I really need to move the BOV like the Evo X set up?
Depends on the intake you use. Some aftermarket Evo X intakes have the BOV in the same area as the RA.

ETS is one example:
http://www.extremeturbosystems.com/E...-X-Intake.html
Old Mar 17, 2012, 10:47 PM
Evolving Member

Thanks for the links man.

But I think I'll go with the same intake as yours (AEM) coz it looks so neat and I'd like the AEM filter in the box.

So I believe I have to relocate my battery and get the Evo x shorter scoop.

What parts did you use to relocate your BOV?

Thanks
Old Mar 18, 2012, 09:17 AM
Evolving Member

I found a deal on the Agency Power BOV return pipe. The RA uses two BOV pipes, the X uses one.
Old Mar 18, 2012, 05:07 PM
Evolving Member

I see... Thanks man. If it's ok with you, I would like to ask you some novice questions about the EVO x swap as I'm still gathering all the parts needed.

Coz my worry is the basemap I need to use temporarily when I drive to my local tuner. I believe I can't use the GST basemap once I do the swap even for just a short trip...
Old Mar 18, 2012, 05:18 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by spekil
I see... Thanks man. If it's ok with you, I would like to ask you some novice questions about the EVO x swap as I'm still gathering all the parts needed.

Coz my worry is the basemap I need to use temporarily when I drive to my local tuner. I believe I can't use the GST basemap once I do the swap even for just a short trip...
Should be fine on the drive to your tuner as long as you stay out of boost.
Old Mar 18, 2012, 06:16 PM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by omegis
Tucked the trunk mats under the board above the spare tire for now. Battery box from Summit Racing is huge. Probably great for stock battery but big for a small battery. I'll look into cutting out some support material to place in between the battery and box to secure it laterally. It's secure forward/aft and vertically.
Nice work. If you haven't done so already, you might want to go crazy with rubber/plastic insulation on the +ve terminal. Inside that box, there's a lot of grounded metal close to it.

A strong insulation job might come in handy when you next have the box open - and are holding a metal spanner in your hand...

Rich
Old Mar 19, 2012, 09:00 AM
Evolving Member

Should be fine on the drive to your tuner as long as you stay out of boost.

Cool! Thanks man!
Old Mar 19, 2012, 10:22 PM

Been looking at doing a turbo application on my ES and was didn't know if anyone knew what parts were necessary to add...besides the entire RA turbo setup that are swapped out?
Noticed a few complete turbo setups for sale from RA owners who upgraded and sell their OEM kits for ~500.
I wasn't sure if anyone knew of anything additional I may be having to look into later on the accommodate for the turbo.
Interesting read, awesome to see other people doing work and not just switching to an EVO.
Old Mar 19, 2012, 10:28 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by mitsu mk01
Been looking at doing a turbo application on my ES and was didn't know if anyone knew what parts were necessary to add...besides the entire RA turbo setup that are swapped out?
Noticed a few complete turbo setups for sale from RA owners who upgraded and sell their OEM kits for ~500.
I wasn't sure if anyone knew of anything additional I may be having to look into later on the accommodate for the turbo.
Interesting read, awesome to see other people doing work and not just switching to an EVO.
http://9glancers.com/index.php/topic,17724.0.html
Old Mar 25, 2012, 02:20 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by razorlab
You can pinch off the coolant lines no problem. Just make sure you don't compromise the lines doing it. Then just top off the coolant after install

Oil you should drain and then refill after the install.
How do u pinch of the lines? I thought u had to replace the lines with the X lines when doing the swap.
Old May 16, 2012, 02:08 PM
Evolving Member

Old May 26, 2012, 02:48 PM
Evolving Member

Forgot to mention this sooner. If you go with the AEM intake built for the X, then you'll want to purchase the following mount labeled #6:
http://www.trademotion.com/parts/201...agramCallOut=6

Also, still hunting for a CBE. After 6+ months of research (very picky), CP-E is at the top of my wish list but it seems to be sold out everywhere.
Old May 29, 2012, 03:33 PM
Evolving Member

Forgot to mention this sooner. If you go with the AEM intake built for the X, then you'll want to purchase the following mount labeled #6:
http://www.trademotion.com/parts/201...agramCallOut=6

Also, still hunting for a CBE. After 6+ months of research (very picky), CP-E is at the top of my wish list but it seems to be sold out everywhere.
Did you relocate your battery? Was it self installed or did you have someone else do it and by who? Have any voltage issues if battery is relocated to the trunk? I asked Cobb plano about it and they said they had several ralliarts come to their shop with this relocation with voltage issues. I would like to use the AEM intake for the evo x because its closer to the front of the car.

Quick Reply: Omegis RA to Evo X swap progress